Tube 23

Write-ups from those with over 21 full network challenge attempts
geofftech
All Zones

Tube 23

Post by geofftech »

trains
Last edited by geofftech on 12 Oct 2013, 00:14, edited 1 time in total.
joy54
Zone 5

Re: Tube 23

Post by joy54 »

Enjoyable reads as always.

I'm certain you had the same opening gambit on Tube 23 but as always its a stretch to imagine the entire route was identical. It seems there are new elements constantly creeping into routes, it was only the other week that after 9 years of Tube Challenging a new run was thrown at me I'd never even considered making.

EDIT:
geofftech wrote: they may also be a video of it too on a certain well known news website. i'm sure you'll see it.
Already up - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22042127 and currently as of 3am is top of the most watched videos on the BBC site.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

trains
Last edited by geofftech on 12 Oct 2013, 08:05, edited 1 time in total.
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

geofftech wrote: People chastise me/us for saying I blame the service too much, but when your Central Line train doesn't move for 20 minutes, what the hell else am I going to blame? Can we just have a day when the service doesn't fall apart, please? Thanks.
Just thank yourself lucky it was early on in the day.

Me and Matt had probably the worse service disruption in the history of challenging when after an entire day of good luck, where we were on for breaking the record by miles, we were hit by an gut wrenching service suspension because of a trespasser up the line at Embankment. We were at Turnham Green at the time only needing the District to complete Chiswick Park before the Picc down to Heathrow. We'd just missed a District to Ealing on our arrival up from Richmond and little were we to know this was the last one for over an hour. We ended up waiting around 30 mins until the Piccadilly Line trains started stopping at Turnham Green before deciding the only option was to give up and miss it out.

Reading through the old thread just now still brings back the frustrations of the night... (http://www.tubeforum.co.uk/forum/index. ... =viewtopic)
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

trains
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

joy54 wrote:
geofftech wrote: People chastise me/us for saying I blame the service too much, but when your Central Line train doesn't move for 20 minutes, what the hell else am I going to blame? Can we just have a day when the service doesn't fall apart, please? Thanks.
Just thank yourself lucky it was early on in the day.

Me and Matt had probably the worse service disruption in the history of challenging when after an entire day of good luck, where we were on for breaking the record by miles, we were hit by an gut wrenching service suspension because of a trespasser up the line at Embankment. We were at Turnham Green at the time only needing the District to complete Chiswick Park before the Picc down to Heathrow. We'd just missed a District to Ealing on our arrival up from Richmond and little were we to know this was the last one for over an hour. We ended up waiting around 30 mins until the Piccadilly Line trains started stopping at Turnham Green before deciding the only option was to give up and miss it out.

Reading through the old thread just now still brings back the frustrations of the night... (http://www.tubeforum.co.uk/forum/index. ... =viewtopic)
er i seem to remember i was there too? and yes we should have ran to chiswick park but hindsight we didnt!
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

I think it's just pure luck (or lack of it). Glen and I were about to do a zone 1 challenge once, only for the District to be suspended, then reinstated after about 15 minutes.

If you don't have bad luck, you'll have no luck at all.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

palkanetoijala31 wrote: er i seem to remember i was there too? and yes we should have ran to chiswick park but hindsight we didnt!
So you were Andi - for some reason I just had an image of just Me, Matt and Kev at Turnham Green.

Another slightly strange aspect to the evening was the fact that Kev was supporting us to break his own record. We must be unique amongst GWR records where we as a community actually actively go out and help our competitors break our own records. I know for me personally, I remember having mixed emotions on the Rachel Brabbins record run where despite the fact it was my record the Brown's were trying to beat, I got so emotionally wrapped up in the run that I was just willing it to all come together for them. Weird eh!?
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

joy54 wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote: er i seem to remember i was there too? and yes we should have ran to chiswick park but hindsight we didnt!
So you were Andi - for some reason I just had an image of just Me, Matt and Kev at Turnham Green.

Another slightly strange aspect to the evening was the fact that Kev was supporting us to break his own record. We must be unique amongst GWR records where we as a community actually actively go out and help our competitors break our own records. I know for me personally, I remember having mixed emotions on the Rachel Brabbins record run where despite the fact it was my record the Brown's were trying to beat, I got so emotionally wrapped up in the run that I was just willing it to all come together for them. Weird eh!?
You were the first i do remember kevin and anthony on the platform at t5 for my first record getting back to subject of geoff tube 23

what is the shirt being worn by geoff? and i presume some distance from pre editing to attempt day as hairstyle changed a bit
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

The red one will be Geoff's parkrun 50 shirt. For completing 50 parkruns.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

joy54 wrote: currently as of 3am is top of the most watched videos on the BBC site.
Got a feeling that somehow this won't be top for much longer... probably the worst possible day ever for media whoring.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

joy54 wrote:

Yes I came out on more than one occasion to either support when I held I the record or take it further away from me when I didn't......
That night will live very long in the memory, as will the unfortunate T4 comfort break incident which cost the Brown's a 3rd GWR being a mere 2 stations from home....
But caps off to the community spirit :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

joy54 wrote:
joy54 wrote: currently as of 3am is top of the most watched videos on the BBC site.
Got a feeling that somehow this won't be top for much longer... probably the worst possible day ever for media whoring.
Well, there are days that the BBC know stuff will happen (budget day, strikes, big EU events) and we were never going to be published on one of those days. We were expecting a quieter news day.

As it is; we may not be the most popular video to be watched today but the overall hit count is likely to increase because of the Thatcher story generating extra traffic reaching the front page of the BBC news website.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

trains
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

Sudbury Town.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition