Captain Chaos strikes back!

Write-ups from those with over 21 full network challenge attempts
moley
Site Administrator

Re: Captain Chaos strikes back!

Post by moley »

Steeevooo wrote:Or alternatively just look at Geoff's own advertised twitter feed to see that they missed Olympia so therefore didn't even get a completion.
They had planned their day to get an advertised late night Olympia service.

The advertised service was incorrect (so we're hearing).

What is the point of JourneyPlanner if its incorrect.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

Maybe this high profile example of it being wrong will encourageTFL to ensure its accuracy in future?
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Looking back at the original spreadsheet of dates TfL provided, there was never supposed to be an Olympia service yesterday or today. There doesn't appear to be any exhibition on either. There is a service all next week for the Horse Show.

So I guess there must of been some mix up when they uploaded the timetables into Journey Planner.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Earlier this year there were some days when the Exhibition service was running, but it wasn't shown in Journey Planner. Yesterday, it wasn't running but was shown in Journey Planner. And on my Challenge in June, when it was running and was shown in Journey Planner, it actually ran 15 minutes late (or early) compared with the every half hour advertised time. What a shambles!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

al wrote:Maybe this high profile example of it being wrong will encourageTFL to ensure its accuracy in future?
Yeah, because the inconvenience caused to two people running around the tube in an effort to visit all 270 stations is MUCH more important than the inconvenience caused to all the other people who want to get to or from Olympia ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

greatkingrat wrote:Looking back at the original spreadsheet of dates TfL provided, there was never supposed to be an Olympia service yesterday or today. There doesn't appear to be any exhibition on either. There is a service all next week for the Horse Show.

So I guess there must of been some mix up when they uploaded the timetables into Journey Planner.
The spreadsheet says Exhibition Service next week but those exhibition services had disappeared from Journey Planner when we checked a couple of weeks ago.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Last edited by geofftech on 08 May 2019, 09:21, edited 1 time in total.
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

geofftech wrote:I'll write it all up on my website it due course, because obviously everyone will focus on the Olympia fcuk-up, but there was loads more to it apart from that. it was such a lot of fun!
Are you going to write up Tube 21 too? I'm going to have a lot of time to kill at work for the rest of the month and it's an entertaining read...
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Has anyone done an FOI request for expo service days for next year (perhaps this is the one Geoff refers to)?

I agree with Geoff though, it's a real mess at the moment.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

The FOI request is
http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/k ... vice_decem

It was only sent on 4 Dec so they do have until 7 Jan to respond legally.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Ah great, thanks GKR
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Bit silly to trust the JP instead of the published dates, when the JP has shown to be inaccurate in the past.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

geofftech wrote: Having got round in under 16:40 on non-exhibition day, I know that it can be done again! in fact, i hold the unofficial record time for a non-exhibition-day completion :-) i should probably put that in my signature ...
I thought your non-exhibition day time was 16h 43m 37s, so not under 16:40?
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Nigel wrote:I thought your non-exhibition day time was 16h 43m 37s, so not under 16:40?
potatoes/potato! i couldn't remember the exact non-exhib time i got, i just knew it was around the 16:40 mark. yes! but we're back to the old 'how fast' scenario. 16:20 on a non-exhib day is still (i reckon) up for grabs.
tractakid wrote:Bit silly to trust the JP instead of the published dates, when the JP has shown to be inaccurate in the past.
not at all, bit silly of you to say that - when it's been written above that the original spreadsheet of days that they published is now also inaccurate. according to that it should be running on the 21/12/12 when #GirlTube is taking place, but it's not. and has Nigel has pointed out, quite the inverse to what has been published to happen, can happen. it's a mess - an utter mess. TfL/LU need to sort it out, for everyone - not just tube challengers! (Neil)
jamesthegill wrote:Are you going to write up Tube 21 too? I'm going to have a lot of time to kill at work for the rest of the month and it's an entertaining read...
i know! soon, promise. i started it, but never finished it. i was going for a different writing style on it, which means it wasn't a 'straightforward' write-up.
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

geofftech wrote:
Nigel wrote:I thought your non-exhibition day time was 16h 43m 37s, so not under 16:40?
potatoes/potato! i couldn't remember the exact non-exhib time i got, i just knew it was around the 16:40 mark. yes! but we're back to the old 'how fast' scenario. 16:20 on a non-exhib day is still (i reckon) up for grabs.
Apologies - the pedant in me can't help it.

I think I'll wait and see what exhibition services are planned for next year before I consider when (or whether) to try again. I agree, I know faster is possible, but it will require the tube Gods to be smiling on you on the day to achieve it. I suspect to break the record now either requires dedication of plugging away until it all comes right or a significant piece of one-off luck.