Geoff's Tube 21 - 14th September 2012

Write-ups from those with over 21 full network challenge attempts
palkanetoijala31

Re: Tube 21 - 14th September 2012

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

tractakid wrote:You did around 220 stations recently enough :P
er that was ur attempt not mine i was ur support man and so probably by the time i get to 52 Geoff will overtake me
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

OK, as Geoff is on attempt number 21, and Andi has done more than 21, I have decided to start the "Over 21's" section, which will be for people with 21 or more attempts.

I don't think any other member on the forum has done 21 attempts which they have written about, so I think it'll will only be those two for now.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
palkanetoijala31

well unless u can get supercommuter to remember all 52 previous attempts
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

I'd rename the sub-forum to "Over 21 Attempts Only", otherwise it sounds like something is on here that shouldn't be.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

hopeful traveller wrote:I'd rename the sub-forum to "Over 21 Attempts Only", otherwise it sounds like something is on here that shouldn't be.
The "What is this section for?" thread explains it, so I doubt there'll be anyone thinking they can't go in there if they aren't "of full age".

Member of sweet FA
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

21 attempts? I'm a third of the way there! :D
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

I can't remember how many I've done... I could well be heading towards 21 (if not there already).

I won't be attempting one anytime soon though, I've much more important things going on than spending hours on the tube!!
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

I'm 1/7th of the way :P
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

snudge27 wrote:The entire quote is:
snudge27 wrote:Andi, I think it's a little facile to say that because you achieved a world record despite delays, people shouldn't blame the network for their failure to beat the record. Surely, you were successful because you either had a route that had enough leeway in it that the delay didn't put you behind record pace, or you had enough luck later in the day to counteract the effect of the delay?
In context, you can see that I am saying that the reliability of the network can make or break a record attempt. As for the alleged lack of attempts, you even joined me between White City and Walthamstow on an attempt (albeit under a different username!) :wink:
Snudge - I have no idea who you are! Reveal yourself!! Although (thinks about who it might be) are you sure it wasn't inbetween White City and Woodford and then down to Leytonstone?

But you still write that 'people shouldn't blame the network for their failure to beat the record'. Which I cannot agree with! We clearly would have had a new record time last week had Edgware Road not stuffed up late in the day. The fact that we got round in a sub-17 time is that we knew how to re-route to best effect with the little leeway that we did have.

Oh, and 'Over 21's only' !? Ha ha, that's very funny, I feel most privileged ...
palkanetoijala31

Re: Geoff's Tube 21 - 14th September 2012

I think snudge,s point was that every time u blame the network so perhaps to keep him happy blame something else instead?and as he said u clearly didnt have enough leeway in your route to avoid such a problem arising so perhaps (and im guessing here perhaps ur route was the problem if ur were doing a db at edgware road perhaps u should try running to the other one to avoid delays there if should happen)
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

geofftech wrote:But you still write that 'people shouldn't blame the network for their failure to beat the record'. Which I cannot agree with! We clearly would have had a new record time last week had Edgware Road not stuffed up late in the day.
Whilst I understand what you're saying Geoff, and I certainly do agree with you to a degree, if we go down the blame game relating to what-might-have-been times, your original post said that you would have had a 16.23 completion if you didn't encounter delays. I can then just as easily turn around and state that if Andi and I hadn't had delays on our record run, then you wouldn't have broken the record with your 16.23 time. Ah, what-might-have-beens eh? :P
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

geofftech wrote:Snudge - I have no idea who you are! Reveal yourself!!
Snudge used to be someone else, but I change his username on request. I think there's a thread about it in Announcements.

Member of sweet FA
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

automobiles
Last edited by geofftech on 14 May 2014, 09:46, edited 1 time in total.
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

Geoff - I'm not arguing with you on the point about who to blame for trains being late - that's the Hopeful Travellers job!! From experience I know that cancelled/late-running trains can screw over a record bid and are bloody frustrating too, there are lots of instances where having leeway in your route is of no help - I once did an attempt where we got into Epping, had the train we arrived on taken out of service and had to wait 20 minutes for the next departure... no matter how much leeway you have in a route, there is no way to re-route or work around that!

The point that I am trying to make is that comparing "what-might-have-been" times is a somewhat futile exercise, as is (as you correctly state) comparing times even from timetable to timetable, as the subtle changes that occur between various timetables (even ignoring the Olympia change) can also render a previous good-looking route now useless.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

I would have had at least 10 GWR's had the system run to timetable.....

Prior to the 16:23 being set every full network I attempted was scheduled inside the current GWR.... As I am sure would have been the case for dozens and dozens of attempts by others.... It's the nature of the beast .....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold