Geoff's Tube 19 - 16th May 2012

Write-ups from those with over 21 full network challenge attempts
geofftech
All Zones

Geoff's Tube 19 - 16th May 2012

Post by geofftech »

trains
Last edited by geofftech on 12 Oct 2013, 00:14, edited 5 times in total.
Iain
All Zones

Re: 16/05/12

Post by Iain »

Unlucky Geoff- I'd not come across boos but I really like the way of doing updates.

Interesting that the Moor Park change stuffed you up, it messed us up too last time.

I'm a bit puzzled by the 16:18 possible time, I have a 16:17 off the 7:31 Chesham start with a Heathrow finish, and I'd be surprised if there were two trains down to T5 a minute apart :?
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

oh, yeah ... 16:17. you knew what i meant!

we made the train out of Amersham ok, but just after it left Rickmansworth it came to a halt and stopped for a minute. by the time it got going again we missed the Moor Park up to Watford and that put us a train behind, shouldn't have happened. we have an idea why it did.

i'm just more gutted that the Piccadilly is so sparce at that end of the day, that we didn't get about a 16:45, which would have been possible an hour earlier if you see what i mean, ah well.

we did Olympia in a way that I had never done it before, which was nice - and now makes me start to be unphased by Olympia when it's on an exhibition service only!
Last edited by geofftech on 17 May 2012, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

geofftech wrote:oh, yeah ... 16:17. you knew what i meant!

we made the train out of Amersham ok, but just after it left Rickmansworth it came to a halt and stopped for a minute. by the time it got going again we missed the Moor Park up to Watford and that put us a train behind, shouldn't have happened. we have an idea why it did.

i'm just moor gutted that the Piccadilly is so spare at that end of the day, that we didn't get about a 16:45, which would have been possible an hour earlier if you see what i mean, ah well.

we did Olympia in a way that I had never done it before, which was nice - and now makes me start to be unphased by Olympia when it's on an exhibition service only!
trains always get held at rickmansworth for some reason very rare u get a stop say 20s and out hopefully for the other challengers tomorrow this wont be a problem !
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:trains always get held at rickmansworth for some reason very rare u get a stop say 20s and out hopefully for the other challengers tomorrow this wont be a problem !
no, it makes sense. Rickmansworth is a timing point and if you're running to time you're meant to get there 30-60 seconds before departure time to allow for possible driver change over / spare relief, as there is a crew depot there.

what happened here though is that our train left Rickmansworth on time, but then stopped at a signal after leaving the station. most likely a lazy or forgetful signalman who held us thinking we were coming into the slow platforms at Moor Park, and was letting a Watford cross 'in front' of us, when actually our train was coming into the fast platforms and could have gone straight through. by the time they realised this and were cleared, we were 90 seconds late and we missed our Watford connection at Moor Park. knock on effect is that we were a train down (10 minutes) all day really, which put us a Circle back (another 10 minutes) had to do Olympia at a different time, forcing a double back and although we made up a few minutes it was never enough, meaning that instead of coming through Acton Town at 23:16, we were almost 20 minutes later than that. it was very close, and in effect was a sub-17 hours time.
palkanetoijala31

Am i led to believe that ur usual partner in crime was not part of this attempt?
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

I don't really have a regular partner. Neil came with me twice, Anthony has done three runs with me, my girlfriend twice, and other random friends have joined me including people not on and not known to this forum.

Yesterday I had someone new come with me, but who very definitely isn't not-familiar with the tube, or the concept and previously has been a part of it in a small way, but was obvious that they needed to be 'promoted' up to full participant status.

He never asked to come with me, i asked him. No one who has ever asked me gets to come along, as that's just blatant piggybacking, I always pick the people I want to go with because you're going to be with them ALLLL day, and so i need to know & like the person that I'm going with.
Rhys1995
Zone 5

Post by Rhys1995 »

Well done though Geoff! I mean considering your start you didn't do too bad.
Otherwise known as 'Action Jackson'.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

thanks Rhys! that's because we've got it down to a slick operation now. we've got a good route, we know what to do, we're fit enough, it's now just down to the tube not running to timetable that is preventing us from getting this record. simple as that ... !
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

But Geoff, you're forgetting that the Tube is running better now than it has ever done before! :wink:
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

I see what Geoff means though.... my train home ALWAYS (9 times out of 10) arrives at 1617. My bus always arrives late and gets to Harrow Bus Station at 1618... GROAN.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
palkanetoijala31

No one who has ever asked me gets to come along, as that's just blatant piggybacking, I always pick the people I want to go with because you're going to be with them ALLLL day, and so i need to know & like the person that I'm going with

I disagree and agree with this statement as if anybody asks u to join your team is not Piggybacking as they just want to be with the person on television who made it famous in the first place and i should point out that u urself have already said that Moley does your route planning and most of the support (so in affect are you not piggybacking on his generous route planning and his time in order for you to break record.The only way i could see somebody piggybacking is if they are not faster than urself on the runs you do which a certain member of the forum that asked to be part of your team is definately not slower than urself)

Although i definately agree the fact u should like the person and know them before u spend 16 hours on the tube with them i can only recall 2 times where this fact hasnt been good for myself.
MylesHSG
Zone 5

Post by MylesHSG »

And yet our 19 and a half hours were 'unforgetable' :mrgreen:
The King is back! Long live The King!
palkanetoijala31

MylesHSG wrote:And yet our 19 and a half hours were 'unforgetable' :mrgreen:
actually myles i was refering to an attempt with neil andrew hall that was so disorganised from the start not by myself and the attempt number 3 where the taxi firm only had 2 cars what a stupid idea which led to an terrible attempt.Your attempt was actually good i had a nice few drinks despite not getting a blow job off the redhead thanks steveo and we really had a nice day doing it together and hence why i use it as part of my signature
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:I disagree and agree with this statement
Just to add to the confusion ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA