Geoff's Tube 18 - 13th February 2012

Write-ups from those with over 21 full network challenge attempts
geofftech
All Zones

Geoff's Tube 18 - 13th February 2012

Post by geofftech »

trains
Last edited by geofftech on 20 Nov 2013, 23:48, edited 3 times in total.
The Raven
All Zones

Re: 13th February 2012

Post by The Raven »

Bad luck Geoff. Snow and speedy transport don't mix it seems...

You seem to have had a much nicer driver at Watford than we did! Unless Myles has to work on being more charming!
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Tough luck. Thanks for sharing the write-up, I enjoyed it.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

The Raven wrote:Bad luck Geoff. Snow and speedy transport don't mix it seems...

You seem to have had a much nicer driver at Watford than we did! Unless Myles has to work on being more charming!
well if he stopped offering man love to drivers it might work perhaps he should get the gay ones!
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Last edited by geofftech on 08 May 2019, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

geofftech wrote:We always tend to find that if you talk to staff niely, the majority of the time they are nice back to you! This was the chap at the ticket office/gateline at Watford though, not the driver. We gather that he sees a lot of challengers come through. Same as the chap on the Ickenham gateline that we chatted to once who told us that he sees challengers quite often.

It was just shamboloic for the first few hours. They ended up running a shuttle service between Chesham and Watford - trains regularly going back and forth over the north curve. And the Jubilee didn't come back on at all until past 9am, which is just shocking.

The quote is "We must investigate what happened to ensure that it never happens again", which is what they said last time engineering overran. And the time before that, and the time before that.

The rumour was though is that they put everything back together in the Neasden area, and switched it all 'on', and it failed to come alive!

Definetely not doing it agan now until after the clocks go forward ... definetely.
Geoff, I may sound like a puppet of TfL but I believe it was a one-off... journey times are faster as well - so what is the point you are trying to make?
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Rotten luck Geoff, if it's any consolation the service looked rubbish even late in the evening with severe delays

The slipperiness is horrible, not sure why they don't grit/salt the platforms. Rain is bad enough, I can't believe they can't come up with a better surface for wet conditions. The Raven had a nasty fall on our last run and that was just light rain.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Last edited by geofftech on 08 May 2019, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.
palkanetoijala31

Who is mike brown some high up in tfl or Anthony and kevin half brother or distant relative?i should point out that at least 6 of my attempts have been for charity so not rushing at all and 5 actually not going for record but supporting somebody else who wished to complete! so thats 25 proper attempts and i didnt even include the 3 where the start went wrong and didnt even start the watch!so thats 22 so 4 out of 22 attempts is a good average.

Come to think of it i have probably had 2 records snatched at the last moment last couple of hours went wrong but to say the service was better years ago i think its exactly the same me and iain were planning an attempt the other week we cancelled due to the snow and ice knew it wasnt worth it!
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Mike Brown is the Managing Director of London Underground. He's the one that appears on all the terrible TfL videos telling you how they're improving the service.

If the service is exactly the same .. well, that's no good either is it? Years down the line, weekend after weekend of closures for engineering and the big PR campaign being told things are being done to make it better .. and it's not! It's just the same. That's still failure. There needs to be a visible improvement somewhere, and I still can't see one - and that includes new trains on the VIc and TBTC on the Jubilee - they still have their issues.

Would be interesting for you to look at all your attempts Andi, and whether it was a record dat, charity attempt or what .. see if you have a note of if there was a failre on any sort of the system or not. i.e. How many times did you not make it round due to the network going tits up?

I encourage anyone else with a substantial number of Full Network's under their belt to do the same to, so perhaps we can all compare. Maybe I should start a new thread . . .
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Have to say I really hate all the posters etc saying "ooh look how much better we are" - if you really are, people with notice for themselves.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
palkanetoijala31

as per Geoff request here are my stats and reasons for non completion

Tube 1 aborted inexpierance not knowing of overground between gunnersbury and richmond.
Tube 2 completion could have been record if we knew the unofficial time would have not been recognised.
Tube 3 aborted bad planning at Start no taxi from hotel to starting station injury to team member and too far behind.
Tube 4 aborted Victoria problems
Tube 5 completion could have been record District line problem late in day.
Tube 6 completion successful record.
Tube 7 completion successful record.
Tube 8 completion Fast time no real problems to note.
Tube 9 completion Fast time could have been record if got on ken o train missed by 10s no real problmes to note.
Tube 10 completion Charity team not going for record
Tube 11 aborted Cock up by not knowing a run never done and went 1.4 miles in wrong direction.
Tube 12 aborted filmed attempt injury to half the team and suspension of district.
Tube 13 completion injury to team members.
Tube 14 completion Charity not going for record but fast time was done.
Tube 15 completion serious delays Aldgate bakerloo and Victoria.
Tube 16 completion due to reworking around delays 17 changes of route planning needed lots of db wasted the time.
Tube 17 completion could have been record if left other team members behind perhaps.
Tube 18 aborted Walthamstow problems and Edgware road suspension.
Tube 19 aborted in support role for other member.
Tube 20 aborted Train driver incident.
Tube 21 aborted Picc issues again at ickenham.
Tube 22 completion possible close to record lost nearly half an hour right at end of day due to delays.
Tube 23 aborted could have been record if left a certain team member behind.
Tube 24 Completion successful record.
Tube 25 aborted start problems.
Tube 26 aborted start problems.
Tube 27 aborted start problems.
Tube 28 aborted in support role for other member.
Tube 29 aborted in support role for other member.
Tube 30 aborted didnt have confidence in other team members.
Tube 31 aborted due to time constraints charity not going for record.
Tube 32 aborted in support role for ohter member.
Tube 33 completion successful record.
Tube 34 aborted Bakerloo line problems.
Tube 35 completion charity not going for record.
Tube 36 completion in a way in support role for other member.

7 times the network has played up for me in a way 2 times costing a record 2 times i think it was just unfortunate to miss out and twice to get record.
lots of abortions at start due to bad planning or me being drunk usually and other i have supported through the times sometime really should have gone on alone but didnt.
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

geofftech wrote:[rant at TfL]
The average journey time is down on the Jubilee Line and it is more reliable now. The official completion date of the upgrade was June '11, after which, the journey times decreased significantly.

Victoria is to be completed this year.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

hopeful traveller wrote:
geofftech wrote:[rant at TfL]
The average journey time is down on the Jubilee Line and it is more reliable now. The official completion date of the upgrade was June '11, after which, the journey times decreased significantly.

Victoria is to be completed this year.
Are you the head of TfL or something.... The jubilee line is DIRE compared to what it used to be!!
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

He's practising for when he becomes a politician. Always put a positive spin on something, no matter how shit it is.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA