Geoff's Tube 17b - 9th December 2011

Write-ups from those with over 21 full network challenge attempts
geofftech
All Zones

Geoff's Tube 17b - 9th December 2011

Post by geofftech »

posting from my iphone... after 16 hours, and 18 minutes...
Last edited by geofftech on 19 Sep 2012, 08:50, edited 4 times in total.
Root
All Zones

Re: 09.12.11

Post by Root »

There's already a thread for this! 8)
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Urzzz1871
Zone 5

Post by Urzzz1871 »

Yes but Geoff is well aware that this section is for completed challenges.

Something to be congratulated on ?????
2 attempts
2 completions
(Not getting much quicker)
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

Last edited by Garion on 10 Dec 2011, 00:50, edited 1 time in total.
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22
dudey
Zone 5

Post by dudey »

geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

trains
Last edited by geofftech on 15 Oct 2013, 21:20, edited 2 times in total.
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

geofftech wrote:
nothing specifically broke or went wrong, but trains took 5 minutes when the should have taken 2, lots of stopping just outside stations ... crawing along when there's no train in front .. Piccadilly line trains that dwell at the platform for longer that you would expect with no announcement, a shocking Upminster turnaround where we were timetabled to have 3 minutes to make it, but were 2 minute late, etc... time just slipped away, rather then going to time like we know it can and should, and it was shocking.
I know the feeling only too well - sounds just like my last completion.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

i've also been looking at all my times for attempts 1-9, and compared them to my times for attempts 10 onwards, and i can catagorically state that the tube was running better and more to time six/seven/eight years ago than it is now. all the investment, and their continual PR of "we are improving your tube... blah blah bah...", is nonsense because the stats speak for themselves - the service is just honestly worse now, than it used to be, which is really rather sad.

Just after reading this Geoff do you ever just admit that its not always the tube fault sometimes u get trains delayed in you favour sometimes not its swings and roundabouts judging by every one of your posts blaming the network you should have had 6 world records by now plus buses you get more luck than we ever do on them plus u have a 3 person support crew to help you out plus technology that we dont use.!Some things about the service you havent noticed is that the trains are faster and better signalling plus extra platform opened up at stanmore and better access central to jub at stratford.

After all if the tube is crap why go work for them!
MylesHSG
Zone 5

Post by MylesHSG »

<content removed by moderator>
Last edited by moley on 26 Jan 2012, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No linking to smilie sites please - it slows the forum down and is not necessary.
The King is back! Long live The King!
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Well I agree that if there are delays then you might just pick a late-running train up. But I rather think that during delays, trains will generally run more slowly overall and so your journey time will go up - despite random occurrences like just catching/missing a train or two.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:Just after reading this Geoff do you ever just admit that its not always the tube fault sometimes u get trains delayed in you favour sometimes not its swings and roundabouts judging by every one of your posts blaming the network you should have had 6 world records by now plus buses you get more luck than we ever do on them plus u have a 3 person support crew to help you out plus technology that we dont use.!Some things about the service you havent noticed is that the trains are faster and better signalling plus extra platform opened up at stanmore and better access central to jub at stratford.

After all if the tube is crap why go work for them!
This is nothing to do with the luck of buses, the number of people you have supporting you, nor about the technology that may be used to assist - because you can get a bus at every connection, have someone holding a door for you at every change, and have every information feed in the world telling you what is happening, but none of it matters if there is an incident on the system that causes it to fail.

Sometimes, those incidents aren't 'The Tubes' fault. The day that someone got attacked with a hammer at Arsenal and caused the Piccadilly to backup was not a train or signal failure. When there was a one-under at Woodford that screwed the central line - not a train failure. But your average passenger won't know or care about this, they just see it as a 'tube failure' and have in their head a marker of how good or bad the service is.

So ...

Looking at my attempts 1-9 (Pre 2006)

Five out of the nine times, there were incidents which heavily delayed us. That's 44% of the time that the service did not fail for us.

Looking at attempts 10-17 (Post 2009)

There were issues with the system 6 out of these 8 attempts. That's just %25 of the time that the system has held up during the day.

Thus, the stats show that you were more likely to have a good day several years ago, than you are now.

- I have the fastest 270 time (16:38.41) that was never a world record, yes - that's slightly galling. Especially as it's faster than two previous World Record times (the long standing 16:44.16 and the 17:02.23).

- 30 tph/hour on the Jubilee hasn't happened yet - not until March of this year at the earliest. Stanmore is now harder, because if you have to run to/from platform 3, it takes longer. I don't think Stratford makes Central/Jubilee line change any faster either. Not realy relevant, seeing as most people change at West Ham anyway.

- I do not currently, nor have ever worked for LU/'The Tube'? I had a short stint with TfL, but it was never tube-related.