TUBE 34 RHYS RIDES THE RAILS

Write-ups from those with over 21 full network challenge attempts
geofftech
All Zones

Re: TUBE 34 RHYS RIDES THE RAILS

Post by geofftech »

Adham did indeed approach me quite a while ago and asked if he could join on one of my attempts. I said "no", because that's clearly just trying to piggy back onto someone elses team to possibly get a shot of a record time - and his subsequent reaction to being told that wasn't the most mature which completed vindicated my decision.

I've had so many people ask me over the years if they could join me 'next time', and I've always refused. It's not being rude, because its my perogative to begin with, and it's clearly just an attempt to get on the bandwagon, and that initial wagon is one - that should go without saying to be honest - has naturally formed around a team of people that you're happy working with before the day as well as on the day itself - and not one that is forced together.

Now as I don't enjoy playing darts, nor have an affinity to drinking and getting pissed a lot, I'm not part of that niche social circle which didn't exist until it was created by those who do enjoy that sort of thing. There is still a spirit amongst those whose think the same way.

The record is still up for grabs. Getting under 17 hours nowdays is not that hard, getting nearer or beating the record time might be trickier - but it shouldn't put people off.
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

geofftech wrote: I've had so many people ask me over the years if they could join me 'next time', and I've always refused. It's not being rude, because its my perogative to begin with, and it's clearly just an attempt to get on the bandwagon, and that initial wagon is one - that should go without saying to be honest - has naturally formed around a team of people that you're happy working with before the day as well as on the day itself - and not one that is forced together.

Now as I don't enjoy playing darts, nor have an affinity to drinking and getting pissed a lot, I'm not part of that niche social circle which didn't exist until it was created by those who do enjoy that sort of thing. There is still a spirit amongst those whose think the same way.

May I repeat my open offer to support anyone if I am free at the time, but, of course, I would never want to intrude if I were not wanted. [Edited to clarify: by 'support' I mean meet up to replenish food or drink or just provide moral encouragement, or to act as stopwatch operator, but not to tag along for a whole attempt.]

As with Geoff, I'm afraid darts is not my thing either.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

geofftech wrote:Adham did indeed approach me quite a while ago and asked if he could join on one of my attempts. I said "no", because that's clearly just trying to piggy back onto someone elses team to possibly get a shot of a record time.
Allthough i agree with a lot of what you said Geoff i got to admit i disagree with this part of it in fact i asked him whether he like to be part of our team not the other way around!Adham has done 10 attempts the real reason he asked yourself was not to Piggy back its because he respects you and what you have done i mean who wouldnt want to go round with yourself!.

To be honest Adham brought a lot to the team of me and Steveo whether he gets the record or doesnt we had a good laugh together and as you point out thats the main thing.
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

I'm always up for being in anyone's team and having anyone in mine. Er, except that I don't seem to be much of a challenger these days. :(
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Starkey7 wrote:I'm always up for being in anyone's team and having anyone in mine. Er, except that I don't seem to be much of a challenger these days. :(
CiN 18th November if we don't get out before then... Memories eh John with the photo I put on Facebook this evening... be excellent to team up again :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Starkey7 wrote:I'm always up for being in anyone's team and having anyone in mine. Er, except that I don't seem to be much of a challenger these days. :(
We should have a "lapsed challengers" attempt one day.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

My church is having a "Back to Church Sunday" sometime this month, why dont we have a "Back to Challenging" day/event? :P
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Root wrote:
We should have a "lapsed challengers" attempt one day.
I've never considered myself to be "lapsed" before.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Sounds like being at work! Lapsed route knowledge and all that!! :P
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

Sam wrote:
hopeful traveller wrote:I seriously thought someone had hacked into my account until I clicked the topic...
Errm why?
Only just spotted this post, sorry - my first name is Rhys.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition