TUBE 24 3RD WORLD RECORD

Write-ups from those with over 21 full network challenge attempts
Root
All Zones

Re: TUBE 24 3RD WORLD RECORD

Post by Root »

Steeevooo wrote:
Root wrote:This is just getting ridiculous. I mean, well done and everything, but the record seems to fall every few weeks nowadays... and every time, I think "surely it can't go any lower"? It's nearly a whole two hours less than the famous Geoff & Neil time. That, to me, is astonishing, even taking into account the configuration changes.
Not entirely sure where you are coming from here Ollie - Andi and Steve K's record stood for a very long time until Sam finally cracked it a couple of weeks back, so I would hardly say that it is falling every few weeks! The tone of your message implies that you are against the improvement of the record time - surely records are there to be beaten, and as long as people have the belief that it is possible to go quicker, then that is a good thing - your argument could equally be put to the 100m world record, people used to think sub 10 seconds was impossible, now Usain Bolt is doing 9.50ish, yet I don't hear people bemoaning that the "famous" record time by whoever is being smashed. Perhaps you wish that Tube Challenging ceased to exist after Geoff & Neil's time, so as to preserve their time for eternity...? :|
You appear to think that I worship Geoff & Neil, and their "famous" time, based on this post and the other one where I light-heartedly mentioned a "tribute" to them. You couldn't be more wrong - otherwise, why do you think I would have tried to break their record myself a few times, and indeed help you out considerably when you did break it? I just said that it "seems" that the record is being broken regularly - and compared to when I first became interested in Tube Challenging, I'm pretty sure that the record is being broken more often (though I'd be interested to know the precise stats). There was no "tone of my voice" (not least because it was text, not my voice). As I said, I find the new time to be "astonishing", and generally that's a word used to signify awe and respect for the achievement in question. I heartily congratulate you as the new record holders.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

geofftech wrote:ah! here's the thread. still no start/finish stations though. i'm assuming an Amersham/Chesham start and a Heathrow finish?

with regards to two hours of the time: well. me & Neil got what... 18:35, but that included wasting 25 minutes around the Mill Hill East/Finchley central area. which is why i always maintained on a better day, we could have done 18:10. and on a near-perfect day, 18 hours. So take 18 hours... subtract 45/60 minutes for no more ELL, and that brings it down to 17:15, or 17:00 straight for me.

so yeah.. a whole 20 minutes faster than what i think i could do it in. now THAT'S what i call a challenge ...
Surfice to say our route is a secret but it wouldnt be hard to work out the starting station we used
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Too late... i've been told... Maida Vale! Wow, not something I would have done personally :P
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
palkanetoijala31

Sam wrote:Too late... i've been told... Maida Vale! Wow, not something I would have done personally :P
Maida vale well at least i could sing Warwick Avenue early on to not deafen anybody we even picked up a few coins singing that.
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

We may not have a 16hr 44mins but we're not far off! :P
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

I wonder if my Archway DLR wormhole would shave some time off the record...
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
palkanetoijala31

jamesthegill wrote:I wonder if my Archway DLR wormhole would shave some time off the record...
We were discussing that at the time i wonder if i filmed it.?
Wanstead
Zone 4

Post by Wanstead »

Sam wrote:Too late... i've been told... Maida Vale! Wow, not something I would have done personally :P
Especially as it's mid-line. Odd, yet obviously effective. Still, wasn't it the great Bob Robinson who started at Temple, another "odd" place to kick off, that got him the then record?

There are no sacred cows as far as start/finish stations go.
Full Network - Attempts: 1 | Completions: 1 (17h28m57s on 14/09/09)
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Last edited by geofftech on 08 May 2019, 09:14, edited 1 time in total.
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

CONGRATULATIONS! Very well done guys!

I think one of the main reasons records like this are possible is the substantially more reliable service nowadays, as compared to only a couple of years ago.

Another reason, that's been touched upon in this thread is clearly the physical aspect of it all. Running HB-Cockfosters is not for everyone...
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
palkanetoijala31

RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Post by RichieG »

I say this not for myself, but for the charity I will be raising for in February...

STOP BEATING THE RECORD AS IT MEANS I WON'T RAISE AS MUCH MONEY!!!
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
palkanetoijala31

RichieG wrote:I say this not for myself, but for the charity I will be raising for in February...

STOP BEATING THE RECORD AS IT MEANS I WON'T RAISE AS MUCH MONEY!!!
How much money extra have u been promised if u do.?
palkanetoijala31

Wanstead wrote:
Especially as it's mid-line. Odd, yet obviously effective. Still, wasn't it the great Bob Robinson who started at Temple, another "odd" place to kick off, that got him the then record?

There are no sacred cows as far as start/finish stations go.
Just looking at Pauls signature giving this was his 1st attempt and me and white stig ran this route and were 40 minutes up until we got delays out of no where.Just proves that u have the ability to improve and now u know to run out of High Barnet instead of waiting for the bus
Wanstead
Zone 4

Post by Wanstead »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:Just looking at Pauls signature giving this was his 1st attempt and me and white stig ran this route and were 40 minutes up until we got delays out of no where.Just proves that u have the ability to improve and now u know to run out of High Barnet instead of waiting for the bus
I have some devious routes for that run and I can just see myself trying them out next time I find myself in London. I don't think there's any real substitute for putting in some physical training, though: when the record is as tight as it is you can't afford to miss trains because you ran out of breath on a run. Bizarrely this is my motivation for getting fit next year.

And as Andi knows, running the right way helps too! ;)
Full Network - Attempts: 1 | Completions: 1 (17h28m57s on 14/09/09)