Zone 1 2012 Results and Feedback

All you need to know and discuss about the 2012 Zone 1 Challenge.
MylesHSG
Zone 5

Zone 1 2012 Results and Feedback

Post by MylesHSG »

Well done to everybody who took part, some really fast times here aswell.

The starting station was Algate East!

1. Andi (Pimms at Pimlico): 2:48:20 Finishing at Algate
2. Tangy (Hopefully under 3 hours will be Mordon enough): 2:50:02 Finishing at Monument
3. Glen/Iain (Mind the Tap) 2:52:51 Finishing at Vauxhall
4. Peter (Going for Goldhawk Road), Nigal (Oh No! No Olympia), Garion (Temple, Temple Mon Capitan), Andrew (The Algate Beast) and Adham: 2:52:59 Finishing at Algate
5. David/Ralph (David and Ralph go to London): 2:54:33 Finishing at Monument
6. Kev/Damian (Whats that coming over Mill Hill? Via Upmonster, Via Upmoster!) 3:00:48 Finishing at Algate
7. Haken/Patrick (Auld Goats Cheese) 3:05:37 Finishing at Algate
8. Richie (If Barbie cant do it Kenton can) 3:40:19 Finishing at Slone Square

Well done again to Andi and unlucky to Kev who still has yet to beat 3 hours! Maybe next year. Would also like to thank Haken and Patrick for coming over all the way from Sweden, Garion from Wales and Damiam from Cornwall, thanks for making the effort, its a long way!

For those that are interested Tangy won the team name competition, It was so bad it was good!

If you have any feedback on how the day could have gone better from an organisation point of view then please share your thoughts to make naext year even better!
The King is back! Long live The King!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: Zone 1 2012 Results and Feedback

Post by Going Underground »

Hear, hear Myles it is great to see our friends make the effort to travel these long distances and the time. cost and effort that goes into that :D

Thanks for organising and ensuring an enjoyable and smoothly run day :D

Superb day and surely the best set of times ever from a very tricky starter... Full report / route etc to follow when I have a bit more time :!:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Big thanks to Myles for organising the event.

Write Up

Me and Iain had been working out routes for the majority of starting stations of the last couple of days, but when Aldgate East was chosen we instantly looked at each other and thought "lets go for a circular route". Therefore, we would be finishing at Aldgate. In light of our choose we got some food, filmed Tangy bus-spotting, and relax on a bench at Aldgate East. Then, about 5 mins before the start, to pass the time I thought, lets see if a Vauxhall finish is possible.

So off we went with new route in tow with Tangy, David and Ralph on the first District. The route required a good connection at Tower Hill. If there wasn't a Circle line train on the other platform we would stay on the District and head for Sloane Square. Luckly, a Circle just pulled in as we arrived. So we went up to Farrington and I did my first ever run to Chancery Lane with Tangy flying off in front of us. Only for us to catch him up at the ticket barrier because he'd put his card in his bag!

After doubling back at St. Paul's and separating from Tangy I was sworn at by one of the rudest women I've seen in a while, as we zoomed round her. I could have slowed down and explained what I was up to but we had a train to catch! At Bayswater we had are longest wait for a train down to Earl's Court. This, as it turns out, probably cost us a win. Nevermind.

After flying round the 'Southern loop' of London Bridge and Elephant & Castle we headed up to Paddington, where are tickets decided to stop working. This lead to a little cock-up of forgetting to way through Paddington station. I don't think it cost a train though. At this point are luck changed and we had sexy change, after sexy change! Then at Sloane Square we met up with Kev and Nozza for the double-back. At first, I thought we would be finish together down at Vauxhall but then, they told us that were on their way to Aldgate. Stopping the clock at Vauxhall with a time of 2h:52m:51s, give both me and Iain new personal bests.

The times this year are sensational! Congrats to Andi! Thinking about it, we must have passed each other on the bottom of the Circle line on are way to respective finishes!

Mine and Iain's route was:

Aldgate East :arrow: Tower Hill :arrow: Farringdon :arrow: Chancery Lane :arrow: St. Paul's :arrow: Queensway :arrow: Bayswater :arrow: Earl's Court :arrow: Green Park :arrow: London Bridge :arrow: Elephant & Castle :arrow: Paddington :arrow: Paddington :arrow: Euston Square :arrow: Euston :arrow: Leicester Square :arrow: King's Cross :arrow: Bank :arrow: Monument :arrow: Sloane Square :arrow: Victoria :arrow: Vauxhall
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Great day yesterday! I'll remember it!

Turned up at Liv Street quite early, so I grabbed a large banana milkshake :D lol I was mindlessly enjoying it when I saw some geezer wearing a 'Mind the gap' T shirt, so I stood up and said hello!

When the starting station (Aldgate East) was drawn, everyone groaned, but I thought "Is that bad?!". I would have gome up with a route of some sort, it probably would have been rubbish, but Andi offered to take me round, and he showed the the route he had come up with. At Aldgate East, the mystery guest (Adham) took a while to show. Very soon we realised that Garion had exactly the same route. All went OK til Vauxhall, although it was clear Andi and Adham were much more accomplished runners (particularly stair navigation) than me. At Vauxhall, however, a combination of Andi and Adham being quicker and my ticket playing up means I was left behind, and as Garion was too, he agreed to stick with me the rest of the way. (thanks so much!). He was still quicker than me, but not usually enough to get the next train. He got there in time to hold a door once, I think at Elephant and Castle, for which I am thankful. (a 'sexy change') He got ahead and shouted directions at me, and whether there was a train incoming. Without that extra motivation, I dont think I would have bothered to try and run as much as I could. The thing I loved was catching up with Andi and Adham a few times due to the longer waits for trains they had. This happened at London Bridge, (I think), after losing them at Vauxhall, at Paddington (after losing them on the Euston Square run) and with Adham at Liverpool Street. The most significant part of the route was the Chancery Lane- Farringdon run. This was where Andi won it, and Adham guttingly lost it. There were 4 of us at Chancery Lane- Andi and Adham made it out of the station first, but paused to look at the map. Garion briefly overtook them, at this point, I was just behind. Andi got there first, apparantly 30 metres in front of Adham, and managed to get the first train (circle line) to Aldgate, and to victory. Adham made a very silly mistake- passing through the ticket barriers to the national rail part of Farringdon- costing him significant time, as his ticket wouldn't let him back through. Adham got on the second train- a Hammersmith and City Line train via Aldgate East. Garion was well ahead of me, and managed to get there 3rd in time for that train, but decided to wait for me and the Aldgate (Met) train, which Adham would have to catch at Liverpool Street. Garion expected that Andi would be with him, and this was where we found out what had happened. Nigel and Peter were also on this train, having boarded at Liverpool Street from a different route, but we would only see them once we got to Aldgate.

I'll let Garion and/or Andi post the route, if they desire, - as I can claim no part in helping create it. I would have come up with a pants route- and I wouldn't have had any door positions. On my own, I would probably be a good rival for RichieG! :D

The Pub afterwards was fun. It was a shame some people had to leave quickly. Giving Darts a go was good fun, as was getting to know everyone a little bit.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

A great day out - Glen's already posted a report so no need to talk about that. I really enjoyed meeting a lot of the faces belonging to names I knew off the forum. Especially splendid to see the visiting Swedes.

Thanks to Myles for the organisation and Andi for doing the quiz. All followed by a most enjoyable darts competition and major beerage!

Thanks to Glen for partnering me :)
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Feedback: Myles you need to learn how to spell Aldgate (see results above), only misspelt seven times!

My day: after all the worries about not being able to make it in time, I managed to get away from Woodford at bang on 11.15 and the Central line was fully restored, so got to Liverpool Street at 11.40. I thought it would be sensible to go for a precautionary visit to the loo (which is what I usually tell my son), but baulked at paying to use the facilities on the station, so went to the pub only to discover Andi having a pre-event pint.

Wasn't too happy when Aldgate East came out, I thought my route was a bit boring, since I couldn't find a good option which didn't finish at Aldgate. I contemplated risking changing at Tower Hill for a Circle, but decided against it. Was with a large group up until Vauxhall, but only about half made it to the South West Train we just caught. Then a little later, everbody else apart from Peter left us, and as it turned out Peter and I battled it out over the same route to the end (though often not necessarily even in the same carriage).

Low points:
- Despite going through Paddington fairly regularly these days, as I have meetings in Oxford, Crossrail works had changed the layout again since the last time I was there. I started running down a platform, only to see that there was no longer a connection to the H&C at the end. Somehow I exited the station & ran round the outside before coming in again for the H&C platform. Fortunately, it didn't cost me a train, but it could easily have done.

- Reaching the platform at Liverpool Street on the final change to find a Circle line sitting there, but with its doors closed. Had it opened them again I would have been on the same train as the winner, Andi.

High points:
- Despite vowing I wouldn't do any runs this time, ended up on a Goodge Street to Russell Square run. For the first time ever, I was not held up by traffic crossing any of Tottenham Court Road, Gower Street or Woburn Place, making it the correct choice.

- Ending up on the winning quiz team, despite not being able to contribute anything to the films & TV round, and very little on sport.

As I suspected, my right knee was rather sore this morning, but hopefully I didn't exacerbate it too much. I think I now need to severely ration my tube challenges, as my body won't take many more (until I get a new knee). Trouble is I'm too competitive, if I see an opportunity to run I take it. I'm still hoping to try a full network again in just over two weeks time, but I really must pace myself over that day.
Last edited by Nigel on 09 Jun 2012, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Nigel wrote:Feedback: Myles you need to learn how to spell Aldgate (see results above), only missspelt seven times.
You all need to improve your spelling and grammar if we're going to start picking holes in things. :roll:
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

tubeguru wrote:
Nigel wrote:Feedback: Myles you need to learn how to spell Aldgate (see results above), only missspelt seven times.
You all need to improve your spelling and grammar if we're going to start picking holes in things. :roll:
Oops :oops:
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

I had a brilliant day, it was go good to see you all again and have fun out on the Tube.

I got to Liverpool Street and waited around for everyone, and when the starting station was pulled out, I immediately went to work at planning a route. After a few attempts, I had two routes, one going via the H&C and one via the District.

Before long, it was apparent that me and Andi both had the same route - having reused our winning route from 2009. Upon knowing this, Andi proceeded to call me a few colourful names and we jokingly swapped insults ;)

We started at Aldgate East and proceeded down to Sloane Square to double back to Victoria. On the way, Adham started doing what he did all day...shoving an Oyster card holder in people's faces and telling them about his fares thing. Andi was joked about what a good Tube Challenger should be doing which Adham wasn't doing (Looking out the other side to see how long it is until the next train). We arrived at Sloane Square and ran to the other platform and only had to wait a minute for our next train.

Me and Andi went to seperate door positions, but both had a good vantage point as we both ran down to the Victoria Line, again only having to wait a minute. We went to Vauxhall where Andi and Adham ran on ahead due to their speed. I knew which platform I had to go to so I didn't bother looking at the departure boards but I could see Andrew was held up at the barriers so I waited for him. Since I was at the other end of the tunnel, I shouted the platform number to Andrew. By the time I got to the platform, I missed the train by literally seconds - the conductor was getting into her cab to give the starting signal. Immediately I thought it was all over due to Andi's speed and his advantage. However in true spirit, I kept on and encouraged Andrew to carry on too. Hakan caught up with us too and we stayed together for a while.

At Waterloo, we went down to the Jubilee line, again waiting only a minute. A quick change to the Northern line at London Bridge saw another short wait before changing at Elephant and Castle. This was the best change, as being in front of everyone, I managed to get on a train and hold the doors for the rest of us to get on. We changed at Waterloo onto the Northern and carried on to Euston. By then, we had caught up with Andi and Adham so the race was still on! Me and Andrew as well as Andi and Adham went to Euston Square while Hakan went another direction. Me and Andrew walked this bit of section but also ran a bit. Andi and Adham ran on ahead and caught the train before us.

Andrew and I went to Paddington (H&C) and ran to the Bakerloo platforms, passing Myles who shouted some support to us. We caught up with Andi again and his reaction was something on the lines of "oh no not you guys again!". We went to Oxford Circus and went on the Central to Queensway. We all waited for a lift while Adham wanted to run up the stairs. Me and Andi kept looking up the lift shaft to see which lift would arrive first. When the lift came and our door opened, we almost ran to the other side and waited like something you'd see on television. We ran to Bayswater where I had a little panic as I had to top up my Oyster Card quickly. It didn't cost me as I arrived in good time for the next train.

A quick run down to Earls Court, with a quick run down to the Piccadilly platforms ensured that we caught the next train. I also gave a brief history lesson on Starkey's Stairs and early station access. We stayed on to Kings Cross where we all changed onto the Northern Line and went south to Bank.

We changed onto the Central Line and went to Chancery Lane. I knew for a while as this was the last run, it was all or nothing. Either I got on the same train as Andi/Adham, or he'd win/get a faster time than us. Anyway, running up the stairs to the street, I saw Andi, having ran on ahead, run from behind the station entrance to the map next to the road. I walked up behind him and then started running past him. He followed me, shortly by Adham. Adham made a quick stop and talked to some guy who was near me before carrying on to Farringdon. Andrew was a short way behind me so I pointed to him the direction at each corner.

By the time I got to Farringdon, I saw Adham getting on a H&C train so I shouted to him I'd meet him down the line, since I knew he had to change soemwhere before Aldgate. Andrew caught up with me and we caught the next Met train out.

At Liverpool Street, Adham caught up with us, and thats when we found out Andi was on the train before Adham (due to a slight error on Adham's part) and therefore Andi beat us. We arrived at Aldgate with a time of 02:52:59 which was the exact time me and Andi had in 2009. We all went to the pub after for our usual quiz and celebrations.

Good points:
A lot of quick changes, all less than 2 minutes
Catching up Andi on two seperate occasions and Adham (three times)
Seeing Andi consult the map at Chancery Lane
Seeing people's reactions when Adham explained his rail fares thing
Winding up Andi because he wanted to lose us

Bad points:
Missing the train by seconds at Vauxhall
Andi getting away on the last run

Overall I had a good day. It was good to see you guys again and I feel that in some ways, the day has brought me closer to a lot of you as I haven't really had chance to meet you all properly and hang round as in previous years. I'm looking forward to coming to the All Lines Challenge and competing again :P I enjoyed doing this with Andrew and enjoyed his and everyone's company. One good thing about this sport is that (in most situations *cough Andi*) we all stick together :P

Oh and if I owe anyone money for my drinks, just say and I'll sort something out ;)

The Route:
Aldgate East :arrow: Sloane Square :arrow: Victoria :arrow: Vauxhall :arrow: Waterloo :arrow: London Bridge :arrow: Elephant & Castle :arrow: Waterloo :arrow: Euston :arrow: Euston Square :arrow: Paddington (H&C) :arrow: Paddington (Bakerloo) :arrow: Oxford Circus :arrow: Queensway :arrow: Bayswater :arrow: Earls Court :arrow: Kings Cross :arrow: Bank :arrow: Chancery Lane :arrow: Farringdon :arrow: Aldgate

*Andi: I'm joking by the way ;)
Last edited by Garion on 10 Jun 2012, 14:37, edited 2 times in total.
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Arriving at Liverpool Street early I was one of the first along with Glen who I met on they way up at Bank...

Andrew (tracktakid) spotted my t-shirt (as he mentioned) and I immediately recognised him from the photos posted in the "Who are you" topic...

I teamed up with Nozza and when Aldgate East came out I immediately thought that sub 3 hours was not looking likely and was expecting times around 3hrs 15mins....

We had 4 or 5 routes but went with the ones with the less changes but most duplication of stations....

Our changes were sleek and sexy all day with the longest being 4 mins for our last Circle line train to Aldgate

We were last to leave choosing to wait for an H & C starting some 8 mins behind the other teams and travelling with our splendid organiser Myles who wasn't competing as he was weighed down with prizes!

Our route; Paddington H & C :arrow: Paddington Bakerloo :arrow: E & C :arrow: London Bridge :arrow: Waterloo :arrow: Euston :arrow: Bank :arrow: Holborn :arrow: Russell Square :arrow: Earls Court :arrow: Bayswater :arrow: Queensway :arrow: Oxford Circus :arrow: Vauxhall :arrow: Victoria :arrow: Sloane Square :arrow: Aldgate

As mentioned we were chased around by Glenn and Iain on the Sloane Square double back and knowing they only had to get to Vauxhall we were pretty certain their time would beat ours even allowing for the 8 minutes we had in hand at the start....

It was always looking likely that the 3 hour barrier would be beyond us and so it proved with the watch stopping at 3hrs 00mins 48seconds

We were pretty confident at that point of a rostrum finish, maybe 2nd and were very surprised that the time was only good enough for 6th place :shock:

It seems like the full network that Z1 times are getting faster as well
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold