Counting - discussion thread

Games that go on and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on (and on)
The Orange One
All Zones

Re: Counting - discussion thread

Post by The Orange One »

tractakid wrote:So, anyone got a cool fact lined up for 534?
No, but I've got 521, 549 and 607 in the wings.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

I've gone right through to 536 so far. Any idea when the game's going to restart?
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

GuyBarry wrote:I've gone right through to 536 so far. Any idea when the game's going to restart?
tubeguru wrote:Thread locked while I have dinner. Then I will come and knock your heads together.
I believe this should answer your question.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

I good to1237 with U boats
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

The Orange One wrote:
GuyBarry wrote:I've gone right through to 536 so far. Any idea when the game's going to restart?
tubeguru wrote:Thread locked while I have dinner. Then I will come and knock your heads together.
I believe this should answer your question.
I don't know how long Tubeguru takes over his dinner :D

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Busy with something else at the moment. Go and find something else to do for a bit ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Oh, that's OK. Up to 542 now...

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Tubeguru's dinner has apparently run into a second day :wink:

To try to resolve the deadlock I've drafted an amended set of rules. This is an attempt to tidy up the existing rules by talking specifically about "game posts", plus a new section on challenges. What does everyone think?

1 - Each game post must contain a number one higher than the subject of the previous game post (i.e. numbers must be consecutive integers).
2 - Each game post must contain a non-trivial, verifiable piece of information about that number, the more original the better.
3 - No player may make two consecutive game posts.
4 - If a number is duplicated by more than one person, then the duplicate post(s) will not be treated as a game post. The person posting the duplicate post will be able to make the next game post.
5 - Posts containing no reference to the next number in sequence are not game posts and should be ignored by other players. They may be deleted at the discretion of the administrator.
6 - If a player believes the information in a previous game post to be incorrect, he or she may challenge by quoting the disputed post in full and saying what he or she thinks the error is. This will not be treated as a game post. Challenges must take place within five game posts of the post being challenged, e.g. if the challenge relates to game post number 732 then it must take place before game post number 737.
7 - All further discussion of the challenge must take place on the discussion thread. During this time neither the challenger nor the person challenged may make further game posts, though other players may continue as normal.
8 - If the player being challenged is judged to have made an incorrect claim, then he or she is barred from the game for 24 hours from the time of the disputed post. Otherwise, the player making the challenge is barred for 24 hours from the time of the challenge. The final decision on challenges lies with the administrator.[*]
9 - Where possible, a successfully challenged post should be amended so that it contains correct information, otherwise it should be amended to say "No valid information for [number]" (or something similar).

[*]This assumes that the administrator isn't one of the players involved. Should the administrator be barred from playing? If not, we need some other resolution mechanism.

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

OK, you have far too much time on your hands. I got as far as number five, and then it all went a bit silly.

I'm not sure challenges and banning are really within the spirit of what is, essentially, a silly counting game. I'm happy to amend the existing rules with regard to the first five that you posted above, as they have been worded slightly better that my hastily-compiled originals. But I feel that challenges will spoil the flow, and I don't have time to be administering 24-hour bans to people simply for challenging a fact about a number.

Member of sweet FA
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Yeah, I am with Neil. It all seems to be getting a bit too serious. Can't be banning people for getting things wrong, that's crazy!! (Except scrxisi, ban him)
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

tubeguru wrote:OK, you have far too much time on your hands. I got as far as number five, and then it all went a bit silly.

I'm not sure challenges and banning are really within the spirit of what is, essentially, a silly counting game. I'm happy to amend the existing rules with regard to the first five that you posted above, as they have been worded slightly better that my hastily-compiled originals. But I feel that challenges will spoil the flow, and I don't have time to be administering 24-hour bans to people simply for challenging a fact about a number.
Fair enough, but how are we going to ensure verifiability? I really don't want the thread to degenerate into a sequence of posts along the lines of "there are 519 elephants in my bedroom".

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

GuyBarry wrote:
tubeguru wrote:OK, you have far too much time on your hands. I got as far as number five, and then it all went a bit silly.

Fair enough, but how are we going to ensure verifiability? I really don't want the thread to degenerate into a sequence of posts along the lines of "there are 519 elephants in my bedroom".
Would you be able to prove there weren't 519 elephants in someone's bedroom?

Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

tubeguru wrote:Would you be able to prove there weren't 519 elephants in someone's bedroom?
Possibly not :?

If that's the sort of game you want, then go ahead. But I'm sure I'd lose interest pretty quickly.

If you've got a better way of resolving the impasse, please say so. At the moment there's no game at all :(

greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

I suspect your rules would have exactly the opposite effect that you intended, and would just encourage people to make up untrue, but plausible facts.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Well, there'd be no advantage to making an untrue claim, whereas you'd risk being barred for 24 hours if you were found out.

Anyway, Tubeguru has said he doesn't want to police it, so that idea's a non-starter. In the meantime the game appears to be suspended indefinitely because no one can agree on how to deal with this issue. I don't think it's a major problem, but we need to have some resolution.