Counting - discussion thread

Games that go on and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on (and on)
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Re: Counting - discussion thread

Post by GuyBarry »

Well I'm going away for a couple of nights shortly. A little disappointed that we gave up on the attempt to get to 3000 by Christmas, but I'm sure we'll manage it some time in the New Year. Season's greetings to everyone.
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

From my perspective, racing takes a lot of the enjoyment out of it. I just post the first thing I come across such as a screw part number, rather than spend time finding something interesting.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Iain wrote:From my perspective, racing takes a lot of the enjoyment out of it. I just post the first thing I come across such as a screw part number, rather than spend time finding something interesting.
That's a good point actually. For me the point of having targets is mainly to stop the thing from stalling too often. Certainly on the QI forum they thoroughly hate the whole idea of a race and I've managed to make myself rather unpopular there :(

That said, I think it's possible to race and come up with interesting ideas at the same time. One of the funniest exchanges that ever took place in my opinion is this one between RobbieM and me one evening when we were both logged on at once and desperate to overtake QI:
GuyBarry wrote:Jerdon's babbler, a bird previously thought to be extinct since July 1941, has been rediscovered in Myanmar.

And with this exciting news I can confirm that we have drawn level with QI!
RobbieM wrote: I guess that means we've now overtaken QI!! That deserves a celebration, with a special song. How's about asking Paul McCartney to write it for us? He was born in 1942.
GuyBarry wrote: We have indeed (at least at the time of posting). We could go out for a celebration meal at the 1943 Pizza Bar, although it's a bit of a long way to Greenport, NY...
RobbieM wrote: Indeed. And by the time we get there, we might have slipped into second place again.

Let's be content to know that the Normandy Landings of D-Day in 1944 were a major stage in bringing the Second World War to an end.
GuyBarry wrote: ...which of course it did in 1945. That's the entire war from beginning to end in 33 minutes.
To be honest, I'm amazed the game is still going after three-and-a-half years. When it started in 2013 I thought we'd struggle to reach 1000, now we're on course for 3000. Pretty impressive really!

So who's for 2778?

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

With great regret, I've decided to jump ship and take part in the QI game instead, where they've just reached 3200. It doesn't look as though our game is likely to make any progress in the near future. Sorry.

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Well we're up to 3280 in the QI game now, so that's 80 posts in one week. QI now leads the Tube Challengers by more than 500.

Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Well, it's not like I posted last or anything.... :roll:
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

I've just posted 3288 in the QI game - seems a bit weird coming all the way back again! I'll do 2779 but could you correct the typo in your post please?

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Remember the "chain" stuff we used to do in the Counting game? I'm going to see if I can introduce it to the QI game. I was quite pleased with this one:

http://old.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t= ... start=3723

RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

We could try doing it here again too! Just done one...
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

About Fibonacci #2785...
GuyBarry wrote:Did you work that out yourself? :)
The fact is from OEIS. I worked the number out myself - well, strictly, I wrote a program that did.
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

DrainBrain wrote:About Fibonacci #2785...
GuyBarry wrote:Did you work that out yourself? :)
The fact is from OEIS. I worked the number out myself - well, strictly, I wrote a program that did.
Still very impressive though!

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

I've just posted 3764 in the QI game, putting them 950 ahead. At this rate it looks as though QI will hit 4000 before the Tube Challengers hit 3000 :shock:

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

GuyBarry wrote: 29 Jun 2017, 06:42 For example, the student apartments at 2818 Place, serving Texas A&M University in College Station, Texas...
I've just spotted that this is the second time that College Station, Texas has come up in the Counting game. The Orange One mentioned it in his post for 1541:
Quite an odd coincidence for a city of only 110,095 inhabitants!

michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

GuyBarry wrote: 29 Jun 2017, 12:25
GuyBarry wrote: 29 Jun 2017, 06:42 For example, the student apartments at 2818 Place, serving Texas A&M University in College Station, Texas...
I've just spotted that this is the second time that College Station, Texas has come up in the Counting game. The Orange One mentioned it in his post for 1541:
Quite an odd coincidence for a city of only 110,095 inhabitants!
And the Texas A&M football stadium, Kyle Field, has a capacity of 102,733!
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

From the main thread:
GuyBarry wrote: 30 Jun 2017, 18:24 And now the one I've been waiting for all this time...

This Guide to British Owls is available from CJ Wildlife on 0800 731 2820.

And what's the noise that an owl makes? "2-8-2-0! 2-8-2-0!" :D
Any of you remember the Guardian Direct adverts?
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds