Counting - discussion thread

Games that go on and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on (and on)
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Re: Counting - discussion thread

Post by GuyBarry »

Yes that's brilliant - five ahead now! Thanks for all your help.
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

QI have drawn level again at 2456. We can't afford to stay still for too long...

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

QI are now 13 ahead, at 2473. I was hoping to get to 2500 first but it's starting to look less likely now. We seem to be quite heavily outnumbered at the moment.

RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

Just played my first number of the year!
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

The Counting thread seems to be gradually fizzling out. I was going to suggest perhaps making one final push to 2500 and then calling it a day, so that we can go out with a bang. And then I looked over at QI, and...

...they've been stuck at 2537 since February 14th. And experience tells me that when threads on QI lie dormant for more than a week, they have a habit of dying off completely. And we know they pay no attention to us whatsoever.

So. Does anyone want to see if we can get to 2538 and establish a possibly permanent lead?

A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

GuyBarry wrote:The Counting thread seems to be gradually fizzling out. I was going to suggest perhaps making one final push to 2500 and then calling it a day, so that we can go out with a bang. And then I looked over at QI, and...

...they've been stuck at 2537 since February 14th. And experience tells me that when threads on QI lie dormant for more than a week, they have a habit of dying off completely. And we know they pay no attention to us whatsoever.

So. Does anyone want to see if we can get to 2538 and establish a possibly permanent lead?
I think it should continue and when I remember to post and am on Wifi (not on a phone using 3G like I am normally) I do. What about the other Never Ending Games?
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

A Challenge wrote:What about the other Never Ending Games?
I don't log in as often as I used to, to be honest. I've got this particular bee in my bonnet about Counting though - I shall never forgive myself if our game peters out while we're still behind QI, particularly since they appear to have given us a sitting target. Only 59 entries needed, provided they don't spring into life again...

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

I spoke too soon. QI started off again on March 5th (the same day as I made the last post - coincidence?) and are currently on 2563. I admit defeat.

Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Over at QI, they are on 2657. That means we only need 177 to catch up! Come on, get counting!
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
DavidC
Zone 6

Post by DavidC »

"2480 is one of just 2 4-digit numbers to have 3 or more consecutive numbers by doubling."

Presumably your other intended one is 1248.

However the other nine numbers 248x, the other nine numbers 124x and the other nine numbers x248 also appear to satisfy the rule as described too.

Also, 3612 and 4816 appear to satisfy the rule as described too.

Any advance on there being 31 such numbers in total, or do you want to keep it to just 29 by referring to digits rather than numbers ?

DavidC
First to 100000 in the 2015+ Tumbleweed contest. Winner of a few rounds of a diverse range of quizzes/games. Some decent times in alternative challenges as a fiftysomething who merely walks briskly. Briefly led All The Actons.
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

I know, I edited it literally a minute after you posted that, so it is true now.

COYR
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Also, why didn't you post a fact about 2481?

COYR
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Tube Geek wrote:Also, why didn't you post a fact about 2481?
Well I have now! Many thanks for getting the game going again, but I didn't quite understand your fact. You said:
Tube Geek wrote:2480 is one of three 4-digit numbers to be every other going right on a keyboard (the others are 1357 and 3579, if anyone's interested)
If you're talking about taking alternate digits from the top row, there are surely four numbers in total: 1357, 3579, 2468 and 4680. 2480 doesn't fit the pattern - or am I missing something?

Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Oh yes - it doesn't work! I forgot about 6

I'm that case, I can't think of a fact for 2480! I even googled it! I'll look again and then edit it.

UPDATE: Now edited to a fact that is (FINALLY!) true.

COYR
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

In case anyone was wondering, QI are currently on 2916, 388 ahead of us. Don't think there's much chance of catching them up soon :(