Counting

Games that go on and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on (and on)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Counting

Post by tubeguru »

OK, having had a day or so for the mess concerning the counting threads to die down, I have decided to re-instate the old thread that made it the furthest.

I actually found the previous counting thread quite interesting, and learned some fascinating things about numbers. However, this time there are going to be some rules, so it doesn't descend into farce again, namely:

1 - Each game post must contain a number one higher than the subject of the previous game post (i.e. numbers must be consecutive integers).
2 - Each game post must contain a non-trivial, verifiable piece of information about that number, the more original the better.
3 - No player may make two consecutive game posts.
4 - If a number is duplicated by more than one person, then the duplicate post(s) will not be treated as a game post. The person posting the duplicate post will be able to make the next game post.
5 - Posts containing no reference to the next number in sequence are not game posts and should be ignored by other players. They may be deleted at the discretion of Tubeguru.

Now obviously, the next post after this one is going to be the second actual post in the thread, but for the purposes of the game, we are going to start again at 432. So the next post containing a number will be the 432nd "post", thus satisfying rule 1.

Please don't post spam or conversations in the thread (yes, I know I did it too in the old one), or they will be deleted. Please try to make your number facts interesting. I won't delete non-interesting facts, but please try to find something a bit more interesting than "the next number after 753" before posting for 754. As we get higher, it will become a little trickier to find stuff about numbers, but one assumes that that is all part of the fun.

If you wish to moan about this thread being rubbish, or a waste of time, or boring, then feel free to do it to your cat or something, and not in here!

So, the next post will be a factual analysis of the number 433 (I hope).
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
The Raven
All Zones

Re: Counting

Post by The Raven »

433 Eros was the first asteroid orbited by a space probe in 2000
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Philippine Airlines Flight 434 was a flight from Pasay City, Phillipines to Tokyo in 1994 on which a bomb was detonated by terrorist Ramzi Yousef - one passenger was killed and the pilot managed to land the plane. Yousef had attempted back in 1993 to bring down the World Trade Center - this did not work.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Glad to see that common sense has prevailed!

435 is the 15th hexagonal number, i.e. the number of dots in a hexagon with 15 regularly spaced points on a side.
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Sticking to my space theme

Gliese 436 b is an Exoplanet covered in ice even though its surface temperature is 439•C. This is assumed to be due to its high atmospheric pressure keeping the water solid in a process called "hot ice"
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

The Mary Rose ship was raised from the sea bed 437 years after it had been sunk.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

U 438 was a type VII C U boat which was sunk May 6th 1943
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

In 1981 the Hee Bee Gee Bees (Angus Deayton, Philip Pope and Michael Fenton Stevens) produced a spoof album called 439 Golden Greats, parodying many of the hits of the day. Actually there were only 13 tracks.

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

As a musician, it is important to remember that we use 440Hz as a basis for tuning - to the 'A' above 'middle C'
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

441 and its reverse are both perfect squares (441 = 21 squared, 144 = 12 squared)

The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Four-Four-Two the classic formation in football
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Route 443 is the main road connecting Tel Aviv with Jerusalem and the Israeli settlements in the West Bank. Palestinians were banned from using it in 2002 and, although the ban was lifted in 2010, access is still highly problematic for them.

Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

The Class 444 trains are used by South West Trains on express passenger services.
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

The year 46 BC was 445 days long, owing to the change in the Roman calendar brought in by Julius Caesar.

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Right, STOP!

The last valid post was 445. Then Sam posted a nothing post which confused everyone, because he hadn't read the rules properly.

If any posts appear out of order then they WILL be deleted, and I will expect them to be added again. You just can't jump around as you see fit. Also, even if a number has previously been posted, if I delete that number it MUST be done again.

So, the next valid number is 446. Sorry, but I told you I would be clamping down this time.

THIS POST DOES NOT COUNT!
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA