Tumbleweed - The Rules and Discussion

The game you either hate or really hate!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Tumbleweed - The Rules and Discussion

Post by tubeguru »

hopeful traveller wrote:If I made a points claim then later on someone makes a spoiler, can I still claim for more points?

Sound like a complete wally don't I?
So long as someone posts either a spoiler or a VALID claim after you post something, you can claim for points again.

You can't claim for points two posts in a row with nothing in between. However, consider this scenario:

Player A claims one bell at 05:00 and it is a valid claim
Player B then claims one bell at 05:59. This is an invalid claim as only 59 minutes have passed.
Player A then claims one bell at 06:59.

You'd have thought that Player A has just scored another 75 points, but as player B's claim was invalid, the last valid claim was player A's at 05:00, and so therefore he has technically made two claims in a row. Therefore, player A's second claim at 06:59 will result in a loss of 75 points.

Do you follow this logic?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

moley wrote:My understanding is that mullardo claimed 6 bells and was right to do so.

The forum clock is linear. When you change the clock in your control settings, all post times change. So if mullardo didnt change his clock settings then last post was at 2349 BST next post at 0625 BST = 6 bells.

If he had of changed his clock then he would have seen last post as 2249 GMT and his next post at 0525 GMT = 6 bells.

Finally, lets consider the actual times rather than forum times.
2349 BST claim made
0049 BST 1 bell possible
0149 BST 2 bells possible
0149 GMT 3 bells possible
0249 GMT 4 bells possible
0349 GMT 5 bells possible
0449 GMT 6 bells possible
0525 GMT claim made
0549 GMT 7 bells possible <- but never got here.
The solution to this is easy, as you will see if you read my explanatory post in this thread. It is based on the ACTUAL time when the post was made, and that the exact moment of change from BST to GMT is at 02:00.

Member of sweet FA
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Post by RichieG »

Now I need to remember that I no longer need to mentally deduct an hour from my time or add an hour from the last post time when working out how many weeds/bells I can claim...
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

ATTENTION ALL TUMBLEWEED PLAYERS.

Please ensure that you have your forum settings set to GMT. Chris posted a message in the Announcements forum with instructions on how to do this. I'm sure most of you have done this already, as you've been claiming all day without messing it up.

In March 2012, I will remind you of the GMT to BST change, and how it will affect the game and the scoring.

Member of sweet FA
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

tubeguru wrote:In March 2012, I will remind you of the GMT to BST change, and how it will affect the game and the scoring.
You seem very confident that everyone will not have become bored with is game by then! :lol:
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

The Raven wrote:
tubeguru wrote:In March 2012, I will remind you of the GMT to BST change, and how it will affect the game and the scoring.
You seem very confident that everyone will not have become bored with is game by then! :lol:
We're 19 weeks in and while some people have dropped away, there is still a hardcore of saddos claiming. However, you will have noticed that most claims are now in the form of bells, as people seem to be bored of getting weeds.

Member of sweet FA
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

tubeguru wrote:The other issue is that of the changing of BST to GMT. So, let's look at the posts either side of this occurence:

by Going Underground » 29 Oct 2011 10:49 pm

35 weed

THEN:

by mullardo » 30 Oct 2011 05:25 am

6 bells

BST changed over to GMT at 02:00 this morning (Sunday). Therefore at the moment of GU's post, the ACTUAL time was 10:49. At the moment of mullardo's post, the ACTUAL time was 05:25, thus his claim of six bells is valid, and there is no issue here. Had someone claimed at 02:00 then I would have had to judge it as being 01:00, as at 02:00 the time became 01:00. The ACTUAL time would not have been 02:00 until another hour had passed. I hope that clears that one up.

Had someone claimed the maximum number of points available at 02:00 (which would ordinarily have been 190 points for three hours plus ten minutes), then it would have been an invalid claim. Had they claimed 190 points at 01:59 it would have been allowed, as no changeover to GMT would have taken place yet. So, had someone claimed anything at 02:00, the maximum number of points available would have been 130 points for two hours and ten minutes.

This is the way I will deal with next March's changeover to GMT, just so you know.
Had someone claimed at 02:00 BST/01:00 GMT then the forum clock will have shown 02:00 BST. If they had of claimed at 02:00 BST then their maximum claim could only have been 130 weed as (in BST) the last claim was at 23:49 BST.

The last claim was only ever at 22:49 ONCE you change our settings back to GMT.

This is what I was saying in my post - when you change your settings. The time of every post of the forum up until that point CHANGES in relation to your setting change. So, if I change to say Singapore time, that last post would have shown as being made at 07:49.

As long as each individual changes their forum clock settings BEFORE they post - there is never any issue of do I add an hour / take one away. As in forum time - this doesn't happen.

So in March, say you claim at 12:00 GMT. An hour later at 01:00 GMT / 02:00 BST, I could claim 1 bell. Before I do so, I change my user settings. Your last post now has a time stamp of 01:00 BST. The forum clock has a time of 02:00 BST - therefore my claim is still 1 weed.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I see what you're saying, but I'm basing the scoring on the ACTUAL time of the post. It doesn't matter what anyone's forum clock says. So long as everyone understands that on the morning of the last Sunday in March 2012 at 02:00 GMT, the time will change to 03:00 BST, then there is no problem.

This is why everyone needs to ensure that their forum settings are changed to BST before they log off for the last time before 02:00 on the night that clocks change. When they log in next (which will be after 02:00 GMT, or 03:00 BST) their clock will show the correct time, and they can claim in confidence. If they don't do this, then the first person to claim after the changeover may make an invalid claim. This is especially crucial in March, because we're losing an hour, so someone may easily claim one extra bell than is available.

I'm sure that someone like mullardo will deliberately claim something at exactly 02:00 just to test it out!

At the end of the day, it's a stupid game. So it doesn't really matter does it?

Member of sweet FA
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

moley wrote:If they had of claimed at 02:00 BST...
This is nonsense English. The inclusion of the word "of" renders this sentence meaningless. Without the "of", it would be perfectly okay.
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

Starkey7 wrote:
This is nonsense English. The inclusion of the word "of" renders this sentence meaningless. Without the "of", it would be perfectly okay.
jamesthegill wrote:Geoff's habit of saying "would of" [...] annoy me.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

hopeful traveller wrote:
Starkey7 wrote:
jamesthegill wrote:Geoff's habit of saying "would of" [...] annoy me.
*eye twitch*
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

This is Tumbleweed discussion, not bad English discussion. I would of said before ...

Member of sweet FA
hopeful traveller
All Zones

hopeful traveller
All Zones

Shock horror! For once GU makes a mistake:
Hopeful traveller at 20:37 wrote: 1 bell
Going Underground at 20:37 wrote: 1 bell
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

hopeful traveller wrote:Shock horror! For once GU makes a mistake:
Hopeful traveller at 20:37 wrote: 1 bell
Going Underground at 20:37 wrote: 1 bell

No this has happened many times to me, I post at an almost identical time and it doesn't tell me there has already been a previous post otherwise I wouldn't carry on and hit submit... I can only assume that posts within a few seconds on a topic thread don't pick this up....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold