Covid-19

Check here for important announcements
User avatar
tubeguru
Site Administrator
Posts: 8987
Joined: 30 Jan 2005, 22:08
Location: The Twilight Zone
Contact:

Covid-19

Post by tubeguru »

I logged into the forum for the first time in a few months today, and looked through a few threads.

I've noticed that people are using the forum as a vehicle for posting things suggesting that Coronavirus is a hoax, and that the government is lying to us about it. I very much doubt that anyone posting such claims has any proof to back them up, unless we have government insiders using the forum.

Donald Trump has been posting baseless rubbish on Twitter since he lost the presidential election in November, and they have had to warn people that he is posting things that do not match the facts. Unfortunately, we don't have such a thing here, so it falls to me to make this post.

I don't want to start banning people for using this forum as a vehicle for political rantings, but I will if it doesn't stop.

As an aside, we have Covid testing facilities at work (we've been asked to trial the new rapid result test), and have had a dozen people test positive since November. I very much doubt that any of those people are lying, or that the tests were fraudulently returned positive just to skew the official numbers. We've had something of an outbreak where I work, and we're all taking it seriously.

I hope this post is clear.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2021
Member of sweet FA
Golf
Zone 3
Posts: 113
Joined: 08 Nov 2020, 19:18

Re: Covid-19

Post by Golf »

Dont believe a dam thing government says anymore now covient lies being made up all the time.
5 time london underground record holder
1 time new york record holder
1 time berlin record holder (not ratified by wankers at guinness)
zone 1 winner twice
random 15 championship winner twice
tube olympic winner once
only tube parkrunner to have a 1st.
User avatar
tubeguru
Site Administrator
Posts: 8987
Joined: 30 Jan 2005, 22:08
Location: The Twilight Zone
Contact:

Re: Covid-19

Post by tubeguru »

Golf wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 17:21 Dont believe a dam thing government says anymore now covient lies being made up all the time.
OK, I'm leaving that post in, so I can reply to it.

Any more will be deleted.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2021
Member of sweet FA
Adham
Zone 4
Posts: 263
Joined: 03 Feb 2005, 04:05

Post by Adham »

swine.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
tubeguru
Site Administrator
Posts: 8987
Joined: 30 Jan 2005, 22:08
Location: The Twilight Zone
Contact:

Re: Covid-19

Post by tubeguru »

I assume your point in posting this screenshot is to paint me as a hypocrite in some way?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2021
Member of sweet FA
User avatar
tubeguru
Site Administrator
Posts: 8987
Joined: 30 Jan 2005, 22:08
Location: The Twilight Zone
Contact:

Re: Covid-19

Post by tubeguru »

Well I tell you what - I'll assume that was your intention - "But tubeguru, eleven years ago you didn't seem as concerned as when Swine Flu was sweeping the country, as these old posts prove".

And I will now give you my response. I don't know how many people remember the Swine Flu epidemic in 2009, and I have to admit that I had forgotten about it, or that it was as long ago as 2009 when it was doing the rounds. So I did some research into the figures surrounding it, and had a look at how they compare to Coronavirus figures. I'm not going to go into huge detail here, but I would invite you to have a read of this Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_swin ... ed_Kingdom.

At the time of Swine Flu reaching the UK, the worldwide response had certainly not been as hysterical and frantic as it was with Corona early last year. Indeed, I seem to recall everything being very calm, with the WHO not recommending extreme measures such as closing borders and locking down entire nations for months. Now, the response to Coronavirus may have been informed by lessons learned from the SF pandemic, certainly. But I feel that the response last year was a direct result of what the WHO knew about the dangers of this particular virus, and how quickly it can spread and cause death.

Talking of deaths, let's look at a figure which I think proves that people were generally right to be much less concerned about Swine Flu in 2009 than they are about Corona now.

The TOTAL number of deaths from Swine Flu recorded in the UK during the entire time of that pandemic (April 2009 to January 2010) was 392. Three hundred and ninety-two. As of today, the total number of deaths from Coronavirus in the UK over a slightly longer period (March 2020 to March 2021) stands at a staggering 143,259 (source: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths). That figure is quoted as being the number of deaths that have been recorded on death certificates as being directly caused by Coronavirus.

So, 392 versus 143,259. Plus, in 2009 how many of you remember the news channels frantically telling us to wear masks, protect the NHS, watch daily briefings from Downing Street, get vaccinated as soon as possible, or any of the stuff that has now become commonplace in everyday life for all of us? Pubs closed, football matches played to empty stadiums, people being told not to go to work, schools closed. I certainly don't remember ANYTHING like that happening in 2009, again reflecting the severity of Swine Flu compared to Coronavirus.

I think most people reading this will agree with me that SF had nothing on Corona, hence my response to it back in 2009. And to be honest, it was probably your response at the time too. Also, another thing that you have failed to take into account is that people's attitudes to life, risk, and danger change as they get older. In 2009 I was 36 years old - still young enough to feel a certain amount of immunity and bravado. Next month I turn 48, and have a different outlook to a virus that is proven to kill people with no underlying conditions very easily. A work colleague around my age, with a good level of fitness contracted it recently, and ended up in hospital on a ventilator. He will probably suffer some kind of effect of this for the rest of his life as will, and are, many others. If you fail to acknowledge that people change then you are a fool.

The above is why I have recently had very little time or patience for the Covid-deniers that unfortunately persist in peddling their bullshit on this forum. And I am NOT going to apologise for deleting or redacting their comments.

So, in conclusion, I suppose I should tell you that it was a nice try to get me to look stupid, but you're going to have to try a bit harder next time.
Golf
Zone 3
Posts: 113
Joined: 08 Nov 2020, 19:18

Re: Covid-19

Post by Golf »

probably a first here tubeguru but im going to stick up for you :shock:

i dont believe your right of course but its your opinion and everybody has opinions that differ.
5 time london underground record holder
1 time new york record holder
1 time berlin record holder (not ratified by wankers at guinness)
zone 1 winner twice
random 15 championship winner twice
tube olympic winner once
only tube parkrunner to have a 1st.
User avatar
tubeguru
Site Administrator
Posts: 8987
Joined: 30 Jan 2005, 22:08
Location: The Twilight Zone
Contact:

Re: Covid-19

Post by tubeguru »

Golf wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 12:10 probably a first here tubeguru but im going to stick up for you :shock:

i dont believe your right of course but its your opinion and everybody has opinions that differ.
And maybe one day you will learn the difference between facts and opinions.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2021
Member of sweet FA
Golf
Zone 3
Posts: 113
Joined: 08 Nov 2020, 19:18

Re: Covid-19

Post by Golf »

Depends on if u believe what you say are facts do you believe that whitty and hancock are good people! i wouldn,t trust a word that comes out of their mouths and PCR tests highly unreliable even now the WORLD HEALTH ORGANISATION has been forced to admit that supposedly fact that governments enforced these tests on us!.

I can tell you one fact HOSPITALS down the country were taking beds out of wards for no reason other than the illusion of being more full in order to satisfy the government stats that the scamdemic was rife and NHS was verge of collapse they were not on the verge of collapse even when the supposed r rate was 3.

But regardless of what you believe or dont believe opinions on this or that im going to agree to stop talking about it because like the roadmap supposedly out of only 1 day stage 1 schools back. already aforementioned whitty fearmongering the public so do i believe they will keep their word not on ur nelly.
5 time london underground record holder
1 time new york record holder
1 time berlin record holder (not ratified by wankers at guinness)
zone 1 winner twice
random 15 championship winner twice
tube olympic winner once
only tube parkrunner to have a 1st.
User avatar
tubeguru
Site Administrator
Posts: 8987
Joined: 30 Jan 2005, 22:08
Location: The Twilight Zone
Contact:

Re: Covid-19

Post by tubeguru »

Golf wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 20:36... im going to agree to stop talking about it ...
Let's see about that, shall we ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2021
Member of sweet FA
DavidC
Zone 5
Posts: 659
Joined: 20 Feb 2015, 22:15

Re: Covid-19

Post by DavidC »

If you would like to find out more about Chris Whitty, you may be interested in https://www.gresham.ac.uk/professors-an ... is-whitty/
First to 100000 in the 2015+ Tumbleweed contest. Winner of a few rounds of a diverse range of quizzes/games. Some decent times in alternative challenges as a fiftysomething who merely walks briskly.
Golf
Zone 3
Posts: 113
Joined: 08 Nov 2020, 19:18

Re: Covid-19

Post by Golf »

DavidC wrote: 12 Mar 2021, 10:19 If you would like to find out more about Chris Whitty, you may be interested in https://www.gresham.ac.uk/professors-an ... is-whitty/
IN the words of MILTON JONES from the mock the week a test of gravity CHRIS WHITTY :arrow: bin
5 time london underground record holder
1 time new york record holder
1 time berlin record holder (not ratified by wankers at guinness)
zone 1 winner twice
random 15 championship winner twice
tube olympic winner once
only tube parkrunner to have a 1st.
User avatar
tubeguru
Site Administrator
Posts: 8987
Joined: 30 Jan 2005, 22:08
Location: The Twilight Zone
Contact:

Re: Covid-19

Post by tubeguru »

DavidC wrote: 12 Mar 2021, 10:19 If you would like to find out more about Chris Whitty, you may be interested in https://www.gresham.ac.uk/professors-an ... is-whitty/
What's the subtext here? What are you trying to say about Whitty?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2021
Member of sweet FA
User avatar
tubeguru
Site Administrator
Posts: 8987
Joined: 30 Jan 2005, 22:08
Location: The Twilight Zone
Contact:

Re: Covid-19

Post by tubeguru »

Golf wrote: 12 Mar 2021, 14:55
DavidC wrote: 12 Mar 2021, 10:19 If you would like to find out more about Chris Whitty, you may be interested in https://www.gresham.ac.uk/professors-an ... is-whitty/
IN the words of MILTON JONES from the mock the week a test of gravity CHRIS WHITTY :arrow: bin
Great - more considered facts about Coronavirus ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2021
Member of sweet FA
DavidC
Zone 5
Posts: 659
Joined: 20 Feb 2015, 22:15

Re: Covid-19

Post by DavidC »

tubeguru wrote: 12 Mar 2021, 18:09
DavidC wrote: 12 Mar 2021, 10:19 If you would like to find out more about Chris Whitty, you may be interested in https://www.gresham.ac.uk/professors-an ... is-whitty/
What's the subtext here? What are you trying to say about Whitty?
Golf had said "Depends on if u believe what you say are facts do you believe that whitty and hancock are good people! i wouldn,t trust a word that comes out of their mouths". I shared a link that would allow people to go beyond that negative soundbite when assessing whether or not they believe Chris Whitty is a "good" person based on a summary of his career and a series of professional presentations he has given on a wide range of public health topics over many years. People may still choose not to trust him but I wasn't willing to allow Golf's statement to pass without comment. Personally I think he is one of the greatest public health champions of our era.
First to 100000 in the 2015+ Tumbleweed contest. Winner of a few rounds of a diverse range of quizzes/games. Some decent times in alternative challenges as a fiftysomething who merely walks briskly.
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests