A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Re: Forum Upgrade

Post by A Challenge »

moley wrote:
A Challenge wrote::(
moley wrote:
A Challenge wrote:Different...
Apparently so if you are viewing on a mobile device... this site should now be on a responsive layout. *goes to get phone*

Oh, so it is! Hmm.... that's actually not the best improvement in the world. On the mobile site you don't get the right hand column of quick links etc. Also no obvious way of forcing desktop site.

I will investigate.
I can force desktop (which I don't) but it is my browser and I didn't know you could in the old one!

I am not at the moment but do most of the time. And, just checking, it is very different :cry: I liked it how it was :lol:

A less obvious thing I noticed was it displays 'Birthdays' even though there aren't any.
For what its worth, I couldn't not do the upgrade - there were some serious security flaws which needed changing.
It is good you have sorted out the security but can't we just have the security update and not the design update as well! I suppose, life isn't like that (good without bad).
tubeguru wrote:
moley wrote:For what its worth, I couldn't not do the upgrade - there were some serious security flaws which needed changing.
We just need to tweak some of the styling. :)
Hear! Hear! I agree fully.
tubeguru wrote:I noticed that my time settings have reverted to BST. I don't know if it's the same for everyone else, but you may need to change it via the "User Control Panel".
I would expect it to be the other way around as it is DST is in operation! On that matter, where is BST settings?
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Ok - so lots of negatives! Having spent 3 hours doing this today, I'm not putting it back!

Keep giving me your comments and what I'll do is to end up with a forum style that solves the majority of them.

As for the BST/DST settings - I think these are now gone and you just change from UTC to UTC-1 in the summer. Those who have had their clocks change today will be because they were not in a GMT (UTC) timezone proper, I think!
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

moley wrote:Ok - so lots of negatives! Having spent 3 hours doing this today, I'm not putting it back!

Keep giving me your comments and what I'll do is to end up with a forum style that solves the majority of them.

As for the BST/DST settings - I think these are now gone and you just change from UTC to UTC-1 in the summer. Those who have had their clocks change today will be because they were not in a GMT (UTC) timezone proper, I think!
It's OK for me, unless you have affected my Tumbleweed Scores worksheet as well :wink:, my times are correct

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

moley wrote:Ok - so lots of negatives! Having spent 3 hours doing this today, I'm not putting it back
They're not negatives so much as constructive feedback. You know how people like what they know ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

tubeguru wrote:
moley wrote:Ok - so lots of negatives! Having spent 3 hours doing this today, I'm not putting it back
They're not negatives so much as constructive feedback. You know how people like what they know ...
Some people say change is good, but I disagree when it is the http://tubeforum.co.uk forum (and also in many other areas!)

DavidC
Zone 6

Post by DavidC »

I'm OK about the forum upgrade and pleased that you have applied a batch of important security updates. Typically that kind of upgrade has some side-efects and typically some of those are impractical to undo while others can be tweaked over time. Shrug. Life goes on.

People may wish to try the basic (rather than prosilver) Board Style setting in Board Preferences in the User Control Panel to see if that improves the display for them in the short term.
Last edited by DavidC on 31 Oct 2015, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.
First to 100000 in the 2015+ Tumbleweed contest. Winner of a few rounds of a diverse range of quizzes/games. Some decent times in alternative challenges as a fiftysomething who merely walks briskly. Briefly led All The Actons.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Last edited by geofftech on 07 May 2019, 10:13, edited 1 time in total.
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

DavidC wrote:I'm OK about the forum upgrade and pleased that you have applied a batch of important security updates. Typically that kind of upgrade has some side-efects and typically some of those are impractical to undo while others can be tweaked over time. Shrug. Life goes on.

People may wish to try the basic (rather than prosilver) Board Style setting in Board Preferences in the User Control Panel to see if that improves the display for them in the short term.
I prefer ProSilver as it looks more like the original (I had standard (auto) before)

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

I see that the Tumbleweed sub-forum description has been changed to "The game you either love or hate!" Very appropriate :)
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

GuyBarry wrote:I see that the Tumbleweed sub-forum description has been changed to "The game you either love or hate!" Very appropriate :)
Marmite

moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

With regard to Styles - the proSilver style has remained the default - its just been tweaked by the phpBB3 boys.

Yes - fixed width is a pain!

I've added the basic version in to see if anyone uses it.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

moley wrote:With regard to Styles - the proSilver style has remained the default - its just been tweaked by the phpBB3 boys.

Right, fixed width should now be fixed. </intentional pun>
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

moley wrote:
I've added the basic version in to see if anyone uses it

Thank you Chris :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

Going Underground wrote:
moley wrote:
I've added the basic version in to see if anyone uses it

Thank you Chris :D
I am using the basic setting as I can't stand the basic design! ProSilver hasn't changed too much, though!
moley wrote:
moley wrote:With regard to Styles - the proSilver style has remained the default - its just been tweaked by the phpBB3 boys.

Right, fixed width should now be fixed. </intentional pun>
Thank you. My screen was too wide!

moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

With the forum upgrade comes the ability to use the forum in the Tapatalk app.

search for us as 'tubeforum' or 'tube challenge' and you should find us. You don't need a new account - your existing log in details will work fine.

Feedback appreciated.