Zone 1 2011 with Tangy (and Roger)

All you need to know and discuss about the 2011 Zone 1 Challenge.
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Re: Zone 1 2011 with Tangy (and Roger)

Post by Sam »

RichieG wrote:they can only sell travelcards for same-day travel... :( Oh well, ne'er mind.
well that won't be true because you can sell travelcards for any date. However, the advice is not to sell travelcards in advance as they usually fail to work the barriers if sold too far in advance :)
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

hwolge wrote:The 4 hour limit was introduced in -09 when I was responsible for the rules. The reason is not primarily to cater for the slowest contestants, but rather to put a limit to how long you should wait for a section to resume after a temporary suspension, should that happen. As many of you remember we had a person-under-train incident on Victoria Line in -07 (was it?). My team and several others simply gave up, while some teams waited for it to reopen (and, of course, a lucky few had routes that had already covered the section when the incident occurred). With the 4 hour limit, it would had been easy to decide if or for how long to wait...
Sorry being a bit pedantic here Hakan u were organiser in 08 not 09 that was me!
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:
hwolge wrote:The 4 hour limit was introduced in -09 when I was responsible for the rules. The reason is not primarily to cater for the slowest contestants, but rather to put a limit to how long you should wait for a section to resume after a temporary suspension, should that happen. As many of you remember we had a person-under-train incident on Victoria Line in -07 (was it?). My team and several others simply gave up, while some teams waited for it to reopen (and, of course, a lucky few had routes that had already covered the section when the incident occurred). With the 4 hour limit, it would had been easy to decide if or for how long to wait...
Sorry being a bit pedantic here Hakan u were organiser in 08 not 09 that was me!
Sorry. My mistake.
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Oyster or TravelCard? Previously, when Vauxhall-Waterloo didn't accept Oyster, there was no choice really. However, nowadays Oyster should work fine for the Z1CC? Opinions? Anyone?
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

hwolge wrote:Oyster or TravelCard? Previously, when Vauxhall-Waterloo didn't accept Oyster, there was no choice really. However, nowadays Oyster should work fine for the Z1CC? Opinions? Anyone?
See my post on the bottom of page 5. The growth of unpublicised allowed out of station interchanges (which normally are useful), but which don't stop the clock for the 90 minute time limit within Zone 1, mean that dependent on route there is a high chance that you will get charged a maximum fare on Oyster, on top of the one day travelcard rate. Last Friday, I managed to pick up two maximum fares which seems to be a clear error in their system - so potentially rather expensive.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Nothing stops the good old travelcard vs oyster debate always travelcards never have a problem with them well hardly ever!.And as Charlie Southwell Andi Tube 12 knows Oyster is very expensive.
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

RichieG wrote:To be fair, if I can manage a sub-4 hour time on my own on my first attempt (although I did do a couple of R15s beforehand) anybody can! (The only reason I only just managed it last year was down to the heat and that I did end up at one point wandering aimlessly round Earl's Court station mildly confused with dehydration... plus a few crap changes)
I know what you mean!
I was in London on Sunday working out a route and I was so hot down in the tunnels I could feel myself getting more, and more dehydrated!
I'm going to make sure I have plenty of water with me for the challenge!
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

Travel cards dont always work just ask Kev (Going Underground) His always seem to stop working.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

nozzacook wrote:Travel cards dont always work just ask Kev (Going Underground) His always seem to stop working.
Yep as mentioned as well by Richie and I keep them away from my mobile phone... I think it is just me everyone else seems ok with them :?
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

I was told that mobile phones interfere with the magnetic strip on the back because my NR ticket stopped working one time. I asked the guy on the gateline and he said thats one of the reasons why.
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Mobile phones are a nightmare with rail tickets! The main offender is Blackberrys, they instantly kill the magnetic strip on tickets! Try and keep tickets separate if possible from anything including bank cards :)
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Nigel wrote: Last Friday, I managed to pick up two maximum fares which seems to be a clear error in their system - so potentially rather expensive.
Before I mangaged to query this with the Oyster help line, I received an e-mail from Oyster refunding most (but not all) of my excess charges "due to an operational error" - even more bizarre.
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Post by RichieG »

Sam wrote:Mobile phones are a nightmare with rail tickets! The main offender is Blackberrys, they instantly kill the magnetic strip on tickets! Try and keep tickets separate if possible from anything including bank cards :)
Interesting that... how many people keep their tickets in their wallets?
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

I keep my oyster card in my wallet, but any paper tickets are normally kept in the opposite pocket.
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

It's gonna be a hot 'n' sweaty one, forecast at least 25 degrees for Friday....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold