Where am I? On the Move #5

Can you tell where it is yet?
The Orange One
All Zones

Re: Where am I? On the Move #5

Post by The Orange One »

DavidC wrote:Are you at or one/two/three stops away from Regent's Park ?
No. (12 - moving)
A Challenge wrote:Only answer this if the answer to the previous question is NO (Sorry)

At this stage Q3/4: 2 possible stations (Camden Town, Stockwell) were you at Camden Town (as opposed to Stockwell)?

Thank you for this GuyBarry
Yes. (13 - not moving)
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

When you answered Q7/8, were you at King's Cross St Pancras?
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Yes. (14 - moving)
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Are you at a station served by London Overground?

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

GuyBarry wrote:Are you at a station served by London Overground?
I may be wrong, but I think that that is impossible unless you count Liverpool Street?
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

A Challenge wrote:
I may be wrong, but I think that that is impossible unless you count Liverpool Street?
I wasn't counting Liverpool Street since the rules say that Liverpool Street (LU) and Liverpool St (LO) are separate stations.

As far as I can tell, he could be at one of four LO stations at the moment. Routes from Q7/8 onwards:

KXSP -> Highbury and Islington -> Finsbury Park -> Seven Sisters -> Stamford Hill
KXSP -> Highbury and Islington -> Canonbury -> Dalston Kingsland -> Hackney Central
KXSP -> Highbury and Islington -> Canonbury -> Dalston Junction -> Haggerston
KXSP -> Highbury and Islington -> Cal. Rd & Barnsbury -> Camden Road -> Kentish Town West

(There's also Bruce Grove, but I'm discounting it because it's up a dead end.)

The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

No. (15 - not moving)
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

GuyBarry wrote:
A Challenge wrote:
I wasn't counting Liverpool Street since the rules say that Liverpool Street (LU) and Liverpool St (LO) are separate stations.

As far as I can tell, he could be at one of four LO stations at the moment. Routes from Q7/8 onwards:

KXSP -> Highbury and Islington -> Finsbury Park -> Seven Sisters -> Stamford Hill
KXSP -> Highbury and Islington -> Canonbury -> Dalston Kingsland -> Hackney Central
KXSP -> Highbury and Islington -> Canonbury -> Dalston Junction -> Haggerston
KXSP -> Highbury and Islington -> Cal. Rd & Barnsbury -> Camden Road -> Kentish Town West

(There's also Bruce Grove, but I'm discounting it because it's up a dead end.)
I had forgetten about Highbury and Islington and Seven Sisters!

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

A Challenge wrote: I had forgetten about Highbury and Islington and Seven Sisters!
Well it doesn't matter now - he's not on LO anyway. As far I can tell he can only be at one of four stations - Finsbury Park, Tottenham Hale, Liverpool Street (LU) and Bank. This is our best chance so far to pin him down!

DavidC
Zone 6

Post by DavidC »

I'm slightly more scared of a move from Liverpool Street (LU) than from Bank, with the others even less scary, so I'll go for :

Are you at Liverpool Street (LU) ?
First to 100000 in the 2015+ Tumbleweed contest. Winner of a few rounds of a diverse range of quizzes/games. Some decent times in alternative challenges as a fiftysomething who merely walks briskly. Briefly led All The Actons.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Yes, you found me.

I was attempting to get round all 15 of the stations on this month's Random 15 Challenge, so my route would have been:

Chalk Farm :arrow: Moorgate :arrow: Tower Hill :arrow: Whitechapel :arrow: Highbury and Islington :arrow: Seven Sisters :arrow: Liverpool Street :arrow: Stratford :arrow: London Bridge :arrow: Stockwell :arrow: Victoria :arrow: Embankment :arrow: Piccadilly Circus :arrow: Holborn :arrow: Bond Street :arrow: Green Park :arrow: Earl's Court :arrow: West Brompton :arrow: Willesden Junction :arrow: Paddington (Bakerloo/District) :arrow: Edgware Road (Circle) :arrow: Hammersmith (H&C).

Obviously I only managed to make it as far as Liverpool Street (LU), though!
DavidC
Zone 6

Post by DavidC »

Phew !

I was interested by my reaction to the four options. A lot of my questions are crude attempts to reduce the problem space to something more manageable, typically by binary chops. This time I gambled a bit more, and I suddenly realised that Liverpool Street (LU) was a really dangerous location - I wouldn't have regretted it if you weren't there because I felt the potential downside was so bad. Bank would definitely have been a pain too, but slightly less so as far as I was concerned.

As always, thanks to the setter and everyone else, and I'm happy to forego setting the next one.

DavidC
First to 100000 in the 2015+ Tumbleweed contest. Winner of a few rounds of a diverse range of quizzes/games. Some decent times in alternative challenges as a fiftysomething who merely walks briskly. Briefly led All The Actons.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Well done DavidC! Good teamwork there I think. We might have been going a lot longer if I hadn't made a couple of lucky guesses!
DavidC wrote: I suddenly realised that Liverpool Street (LU) was a really dangerous location - I wouldn't have regretted it if you weren't there because I felt the potential downside was so bad. Bank would definitely have been a pain too, but slightly less so as far as I was concerned.
Interesting you should say that - there are five possible options from Bank and only four from Liverpool Street (LU). Bank was the one I was scared of.
As always, thanks to the setter and everyone else, and I'm happy to forego setting the next one.
OK, I'll start another if no one objects (I've got a win in hand, I seem to recall).

A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

GuyBarry wrote:OK, I'll start another if no one objects (I've got a win in hand, I seem to recall).
You do. Thanks for letting me set instead of you and therefore you deserve second refusal (or acceptance).

DavidC
Zone 6

Post by DavidC »

Interesting you should say that - there are five possible options from Bank and only four from Liverpool Street (LU). Bank was the one I was scared of.
Subjectively I just felt slightly happier about being able to close down some of the Bank options quite quickly over the next few questions