How not to do Where am I?

Can you tell where it is yet?
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Re: Where am I? ALL UK STATIONS!

Post by A Challenge »

DavidC wrote:Is the station at a location related to a railway authorised under the Light Railways Act of 1896 ?
No (14/20)

What else shall I answer?
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

The Orange One wrote:I'm stumped now. Really stumped. I am absolutely and completely bewildered.
So am I. I've done Surrey now. I thought you'd missed Byfleet and New Haw, but it's just inside the M25. I haven't checked Berkshire yet but it shouldn't take long.
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

A Challenge wrote: What else shall I answer?
Unless I find a station in Berkshire that The Orange One missed (which seems doubtful), I shall have to admit defeat as well. This one is absolutely bewildering.

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

[deleted post - question moved to later in thread]
Last edited by GuyBarry on 20 Oct 2015, 21:49, edited 3 times in total.

DavidC
Zone 6

Post by DavidC »

We may as well go for the Berkshire, Surrey and Kent triplet of questions. So ...

Is it in Kent ?
First to 100000 in the 2015+ Tumbleweed contest. Winner of a few rounds of a diverse range of quizzes/games. Some decent times in alternative challenges as a fiftysomething who merely walks briskly. Briefly led All The Actons.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Unless you can find a station in one of those three counties that the Orange One and I have both missed and that fits all the criteria, I can't see any point in asking. Both of us have now checked all the stations in Kent, Surrey and Berkshire, and come to the same conclusion.

This is driving me insane!

DavidC
Zone 6

Post by DavidC »

DavidC wrote:
Is it in a county that directly adjoins (Greater) London ?
Yes (10/20) (inc. Merseyrail)
Non-counting question : what does "(inc. Merseyrail)" mean in this Home Counties centric context ?
First to 100000 in the 2015+ Tumbleweed contest. Winner of a few rounds of a diverse range of quizzes/games. Some decent times in alternative challenges as a fiftysomething who merely walks briskly. Briefly led All The Actons.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

DavidC wrote:
DavidC wrote:
Non-counting question : what does "(inc. Merseyrail)" mean in this Home Counties centric context ?
Greatkingrat had asked a question about whether it was served by Merseyrail. I assume that A Challenge meant that the Merseyrail question was included in the count of questions asked.

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Signing off now, so I'll just repeat my last question in case it gets missed: is it Sunnymeads (opened 1927)? The station is admittedly on what would normally be regarded as the north bank of the Thames, but the river runs north-south at this point, so it could be regarded as east of the Thames, justifying the answer "no" to "is it north of the Thames?" This is clutching at straws though - other than this I've exhausted all the possibilities that I can see!

If that's the wrong answer then please PM me the right one and I'll take no further part.

A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

DavidC wrote:We may as well go for the Berkshire, Surrey and Kent triplet of questions. So ...

Is it in Kent ?
No (15/20)

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

DavidC wrote:
DavidC wrote:
I answered the other question (the Merseyrail one) first as I hadn't noticed DavidC's question and then in that one clarified that I was still counting the question about Merseyrail as the questions were asked in the other order and there are no Merseyrail stations in the Home Counties.

A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

GuyBarry wrote:is it Sunnymeads (opened 1927)?
If that's the wrong answer then please PM me the right one and I'll take no further part.
No (16/20)

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

I've just received your PM and it seems that you answered question 2 wrongly. The Railways Act was 1921, not 1821. This makes virtually the entire line of questioning after that irrelevant. I even asked specifically:
Therefore the only possibility is that the station opened on an existing line some time between 1923 and 1948.

Can you confirm this?
You said yes, and it wasn't true. Game void I think.

A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

Sorry. Do we continue with this information or declare game void and me (or someone else) start a new round.

DavidC
Zone 6

Post by DavidC »

I'm easy with whatever you decide, but I suggest you post the answer to draw a line and then you start a new one.