Zone 1 2010 with Tangy

All you need to know and discuss about the 2010 Zone 1 Challenge.
tangy
Site Administrator

Zone 1 2010 with Tangy

Post by tangy »

So its me then...I will be helped on on the day (at the meet/start) by Laxmeesh.

In order for everyone to get prepare, here are some pointers that have already been sorted:

1. Meet up from 1130 (may NOT be OXC, am looking at a number of different meet up stations before choosing the best one).
--During this time you will decide who you wish to partner and you will get your official "team entry card" for your team name, members and finishing time (There will be a best team name prize, so the wittier the better). A photo of your team (once assembled) will be taken.

2. Tubeguru will then draw the starting station between 1200 and 1215 (but no later) from a suitably decorated cloth bag. Youw ill tehn make your way to that station and start planning for a start as near to 1300 as possible.

3. 1300, the challenge begins and once finished head back to the Horse and Groom (128 Great Portland Street for those who need a map finding it) and hand your team entry card to Tubeguru who will organise the results.

The Z1 challenge ship is now firmly back on course. Let the mayhem begin....
Last edited by tangy on 23 May 2010, 21:19, edited 2 times in total.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
tangy
Site Administrator

Re: Zone 1 2010 with Tangy

Post by tangy »

Expressions of Interest

Your expressions of interest for this challenge can be made by emailing me (or via the frorum PM system), all contact details can be found on my profile. Please respond with "Z1 2010" as the title.

It is advisable to email/PM me (rather than just turn up on the day) so I know who I am expecting or not, if you are unsure of your attendance please state this on your expression of interest to me.

Formal invitations (with the finalised meeting place) will be sent out about a week in advance of the even to those who I have recieved expressions from.

Thanks
Tangy
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

Tangy.
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Since I just spent half an hour trying to work out what date it'll be on, I'll put it here.

Friday 4th June 2010
JoeGJ1984
Zone 3

Post by JoeGJ1984 »

Do people think that I would be able to stay for the results announcement and make a train away at 18:30 from Marylebone? (I'm thinking of doing this - using Wrexham & Shropshire because it is the cheapest way - but the last train is at 18:30. I did consider Virgin trains to Euston but I would have to either get in at 11:34 (a bit tight for getting to the meeting place at the start) or else pay around £60 (because of peak fares).

Also, are the rules going to be the same as what Geofftech wrote up? I think tangy should edit the first post of this thread to include the rules, or at least link to Geofftech's rules if the same are being used. And are you going to include the rule where people stop after 4 hours if not completed and note the number of stations visited?
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

That should be fine. I think the results will be announced by about 1730 at the latest.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

As requested, here is my version of the Z1 rules. Included at the end is some general advice which may be particularily useful to newbies to the challenge.

Z1 2010- The Rules

1. The aim is to visit all 64 London Underground stations that form London fare zone 1 in the fastest time. Paddington H&C is separate from Paddington (Bakerloo/District) and Edgware Road (Circle) is separate from Edgware Road (Bakerloo), all four of these stations must be visited individually. The current time to beat is 2 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds

2. To “visit” a station means to arrive at or depart from (or both) all 64 Zone 1 stations on a LU train. You are NOT required to get off at every station but you can of course alight at any station to change lines or transfer to a nearby station. If a station is temporarily closed for any reason e.g. security alert, rebuilding etc. then a “pass through” of the station is accepted.

3. Transfers between stations must only be undertaken on foot, by bus or by NR trains.

4. Challengers are required to give basic evidence of their starting and finishing stations plus the time they completed the challenge in. A stopwatch is useful for recording your overall time.

5. Challengers may compete in the zone 1 challenge as an individual (solo) or in small teams up to 5 people. Each team must be required to think of a team name for themselves- there will be a best team name prize, so the wittier the better.

6. All challengers are requested to be at the specified meeting point by 1200 on the day of the challenge. A starting station will then be drawn at random (from all 64 Z1 stations) excluding those stations that have been start stations in previous years, these being Vauxhall, St. James’s Park, Sloane Square, Kings Cross and Angel. In addition since Blackfriars is closed for rebuilding this will be excluded from the draw.

7. The challenge will begin at the station that was picked out at random as near to 1300 as possible. When I officially start the challenge you may take the FIRST train in the direction you wish to head. If a second train is described on the board going to the same destination as your team, you cannot wait for it and take that instead.

8. Your time starts when the doors firmly close on the first train you board at the start station and the challenge ends when the first member of your team physically sets foot on the platform at your finishing station. Timings must be noted down in hours, minutes and seconds.

9. Once you have started your stopwatch and departed you may NOT return to the start and reset the stopwatch. Should two or more teams start and finish on the same trains (at the same station) they are ranked equal regardless of the exact measured time.

10. If you finish by running/transferring to or departing from your last required station, you must keep the stopwatch going until you arrive at the NEXT station in any direction. If you are still going after 4 hours since the start of the challenge, stop your timing at the next station and count up how many stations you visited up to that point then head direct to the pub.

11. By entering yourself into the Zone 1 challenge you abide by these rules. Any disputes will be dealt with by the organiser whose decision is final.

Station specific rulings:
2.1. Should Baker Street by picked as a start station, teams wishing to travel clockwise on the Circle (up to and including Liverpool Street) must try and catch the FIRST train out (be it a Met or Circle) despite leaving from different platforms.

2.2. Should High Street Kensington be picked as a start station, teams wishing to travel to Earl’s Court should board the FIRST train out (be it an Olympia or a Wimbledon train) despite these leaving from different platforms.

2.3. This also means e.g. for a Farringdon start, a team may decide to wait (say) for an eastbound Hammersmith & City train (for Aldgate East), a clockwise Circle for travel beyond Aldgate or any SSL train for Liverpool Street. However a team MUST NOT wait for the correct sequence (like H&C-Met-Circle and expect to make the Aldgate run to catch that Circle train!)

2.4. This is only a bit of fun, thus getting train numbers and/or logging of arrival and departure times at each station is not required (though you may do so if you wish). This is not the official Guinness World Record attempt!

General Advice:
3.1. We all know we are competing against each other but please take care when doing inter-station runs along corridors and escalators, other members of the public may not be as easy on their feet or know the Underground as well as we do!

3.2. Please do not hold the train doors open for an excessively amount of time, if your team mates are too far behind you, let the train go and wait for them to catch up

3.3. Don’t be fooled in thinking that this is an “easy” challenge, it isn’t! There will be lots of changing trains/interchanging to other lines involved which can be more intensive than on other challenges.

3.4. It is a good idea to wear light coloured comfortable fitting clothing as you can get hot very quickly on the challenge plus only bring what you really need to compete on the challenge, extra weight whilst running only slows you down!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by tangy on 20 May 2010, 17:59, edited 3 times in total.

Tangy.
JoeGJ1984
Zone 3

Post by JoeGJ1984 »

tangy wrote: 4. Challengers are required to give basic evidence of their starting and finishing stations plus the time they completed the challenge in. A stopwatch is useful for recording your overall time.
When you say basic evidence is required, what sort of evidence do you mean? (I'll probably use the stopwatch facility to record my time).
Mitchell&BrownLook
Zone 4

Post by Mitchell&BrownLook »

Remembering where you finished would also be helpful. Nothing beside that.
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

tangy wrote: Station specific rulings:
1. Should Baker Street by picked as a start station, teams wishing to travel clockwise on the Circle must try and catch the FIRST train out (be it a Met or Circle) despite leaving from different platforms.
3. This also means e.g. for a Farringdon start, a team may decide to wait (say) for an eastbound Hammersmith & City train (for Aldgate East), a clockwise Circle for travel beyond Aldgate or any SSL train for Liverpool Street. However a team MUST NOT wait for the correct sequence (like H&C-Met-Circle and expect to make the Aldgate run to catch that Circle train!)

4. This is only a bit of fun...
:? Okay, my only criticism is this. Firstly, it seems that point 4 sort of contradicts the severity of point 1.

Next, it also seems that point 3 is inconsistent with point 1. Apparently, if I were starting at Farringdon, I could choose which line I go east on, despite them all using the same tracks. Similarly then, one would suppose that if I were starting at Baker Street, and wanted to take the clockwise Circle all the way to Tower Hill, I could wait for that particular line. Yet point 1 seems to say that I must take the first train, even if it's a Metropolitan, and change at Aldgate. Eh? :?:
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

I think it depends on where you intend to make your first interchange. So if you are heading to Tower Hill you may wait for a Circle Line, while if you are changing at Moorgate you must take the first train as they would all go to Moorgate.
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Starkey7 wrote:
tangy wrote: Station specific rulings:
1. Should Baker Street by picked as a start station, teams wishing to travel clockwise on the Circle must try and catch the FIRST train out (be it a Met or Circle) despite leaving from different platforms.
3. This also means e.g. for a Farringdon start, a team may decide to wait (say) for an eastbound Hammersmith & City train (for Aldgate East), a clockwise Circle for travel beyond Aldgate or any SSL train for Liverpool Street. However a team MUST NOT wait for the correct sequence (like H&C-Met-Circle and expect to make the Aldgate run to catch that Circle train!)

4. This is only a bit of fun...
:? Okay, my only criticism is this. Firstly, it seems that point 4 sort of contradicts the severity of point 1.

Next, it also seems that point 3 is inconsistent with point 1. Apparently, if I were starting at Farringdon, I could choose which line I go east on, despite them all using the same tracks. Similarly then, one would suppose that if I were starting at Baker Street, and wanted to take the clockwise Circle all the way to Tower Hill, I could wait for that particular line. Yet point 1 seems to say that I must take the first train, even if it's a Metropolitan, and change at Aldgate. Eh? :?:
That ruling is no different to the ruling that Hakan had in the 2008 edition of the rules....
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Just to clarify...

For a Baker Street start and you wish to go clockwise from there you should take the FIRST train out if your first interchange is between GPS and Aldgate, be it an A stock or a C stock, despite leaving from different platforms at Baker Street.

If however your destination is beyond Aldgate (or is Aldgate East) you may wait for that train but conforming to rule 2.3 in that you must not wait for specific combinations of SSL trainns.

The basic rule here is to get on the FIRST train for your first interchange point on your route, even if the first train you want may depart from two different platforms.

Yes, this is all a bit of fun, but I must ensure consistency with all teams, which depending on the station chosen may choose to depart on a different line where all trains go the same way thus would be starting on the first of these that departed.

Tangy.
JoeGJ1984
Zone 3

Post by JoeGJ1984 »

tangy wrote:For a Baker Street start and you wish to go clockwise from there you should take the FIRST train out if your first interchange is between GPS and Aldgate, be it an A stock or a C stock, despite leaving from different platforms at Baker Street.
I think that sentence should read "...if your first interchange is between GPS and Liverpool Street..." - if you were going to Aldgate first, it would have to be on a Circle or Metropolitan Line train but not a Hammersmith and City Line train. So I would read it to mean that if you want to go to Aldgate first, you'd have to wait for the first Circle or Metropolitan Line train (but if a Hammersmith and City Line train came first, you would ignore it). But if you wanted to make your first interchange anywhere up to Liverpool Street, you would have to get the first train out of all three lines.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

If the start station is Charing Cross and your first change is at Waterloo then I guess you have to run back and forth between the Northern and Bakerloo to see which will be first :D
JoeGJ1984
Zone 3

Post by JoeGJ1984 »

Yeah... a similar scenario exists between Baker Street and Waterloo - you can get between these two stations directly on either the Bakerloo or Jubilee lines (but because the stations are different in between, I think you could select either of those to start. If going from Baker Street, it's not so bad because the Bakerloo and Jubilee lines have cross-platform interchange in both directions). A similar scenario exists between Kings Cross and Euston and between Earls Court and South Kensington.