Zone 1 2010 : Rules & Registration

All you need to know and discuss about the 2010 Zone 1 Challenge.
RobbieM
All Zones

Re: Zone 1 2010 : Rules & Registration

Post by RobbieM »

geofftech wrote: 2) Visiting a station is defined as arriving at or departing from or passing through the station on a LU trainn. You are allowed to leave the Underground system and move between stations on foot or by bus.
I presume NR trains are also allowed to connect between LU stations too - not just bus or foot?
Mitchell&BrownLook
Zone 4

Post by Mitchell&BrownLook »

Why do teams need to be made in advance? Why can't we just make them up on the day, and have our team photos taken for Geofftech prior to the draw (or at the post competition meeting point) as has happened previously for the Zone 1 Challenge.

Well, I make that sweeping statement surmising from the old Geofftech which contained said photos.
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

RobbieM wrote:
geofftech wrote: 2) Visiting a station is defined as arriving at or departing from or passing through the station on a LU trainn. You are allowed to leave the Underground system and move between stations on foot or by bus.
I presume NR trains are also allowed to connect between LU stations too - not just bus or foot?
Yes, it's particularly useful for a certain stretch between an NR terminus and an otherwise difficult station.
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

jamesthegill wrote:
RobbieM wrote:
Yes, it's particularly useful for a certain stretch between an NR terminus and an otherwise difficult station.
I bet that's the route I have in mind... :)
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

RobbieM wrote:
jamesthegill wrote:
RobbieM wrote:I presume NR trains are also allowed to connect between LU stations too - not just bus or foot?
I bet that's the route I have in mind... :)
Fenchurch Street to Barking, right?
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

jamesthegill wrote: Fenchurch Street to Barking, right?
The very same one! :lol:
mullardo
Zone 5

Post by mullardo »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:Just out of curiosity seeing as u work for the BBC any possibility of a celebrity puller of the station name.?
Andi we will have a celebrity puller... He's been of TV a few times, and works for the BBC...

Oh come on we are tube challengers, what more do you want...
VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

mullardo wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote:Just out of curiosity seeing as u work for the BBC any possibility of a celebrity puller of the station name.?
Andi we will have a celebrity puller... He's been of TV a few times, and works for the BBC...

Oh come on we are tube challengers, what more do you want...
Hmm as far as i know geoff has already had that priveledge of pulling the name out of the hat apart from hakan 2009 and i believe jack welsby whom else has pulled the station name.?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I've done it before and I'm doing it again this year.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
palkanetoijala31

tubeguru wrote:I've done it before and I'm doing it again this year.
Hang on stewards inquiry :lol:
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

As Geoff's de facto sidekick I reserve the right to contribute something to proceedings. I believe he suggested I do the name pulling in an email a while ago so he can't change his mind now. :)

Member of sweet FA
palkanetoijala31

scrxisi wrote:I think it would be really funny if Oxford Circus came out. Don't know why, I guess the rush to get to the start and plan your route would become rather more laid back :P heehee

Presuming that certain meeting place traditions continue, of course...
Im planning my route as such from oxc meet at place do some chatting wiv other tube challengers find out its oxc and straight back into the pub wiv a map.
palkanetoijala31

I was thinking of a great t shirt im gonna have made for this occasion all my completed times on it on the back and on the front dam ******** beat the lot of them.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I take it you're referring to my good friend ******** ...

Member of sweet FA
JoeGJ1984
Zone 3

Post by JoeGJ1984 »

geofftech wrote: 7) You must start on the first train in your chosen direction after 1pm GMT. You cannot wait for a second train to the same destination to come along and take that instead.
Just noticed, why GMT? Because we will be in BST then? Surely you mean 1pm BST? (Unless you read it literally and take it to mean 2pm BST).

I don't really see the need to mention GMT and BST in situations like this, except if a day falls on the weekend where the clocks change.

And I've read about the previous Z1 challenges and read about stopping after 4 hours if you haven't completed it, and noting the number of stations visited. Is that going to apply this year? (I think it is a good idea, so we don't have to wait indefinitely for some challengers who end up taking an inordinately long amount of time, particularly if people have to get away from London by train.)