Zone 1 2010 : Rules & Registration

All you need to know and discuss about the 2010 Zone 1 Challenge.
hwolge
Zone 6

Re: Zone 1 2010 : Rules & Registration

Post by hwolge »

JoeGJ1984 wrote:And I've read about the previous Z1 challenges and read about stopping after 4 hours if you haven't completed it, and noting the number of stations visited. Is that going to apply this year? (I think it is a good idea, so we don't have to wait indefinitely for some challengers who end up taking an inordinately long amount of time, particularly if people have to get away from London by train.)
A more important reason is that gives guidance in case a line/station shuts down for some period of time! I agree, it's a good rule (that I first introduced...)
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

hwolge wrote:
JoeGJ1984 wrote:And I've read about the previous Z1 challenges and read about stopping after 4 hours if you haven't completed it, and noting the number of stations visited. Is that going to apply this year? (I think it is a good idea, so we don't have to wait indefinitely for some challengers who end up taking an inordinately long amount of time, particularly if people have to get away from London by train.)
A more important reason is that gives guidance in case a line/station shuts down for some period of time! I agree, it's a good rule (that I first introduced...)
i thought it was good too so thats why i kept it last year!
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

yes... "adults", silly me ... of course.

if Neil wants to pull the name out of the hat, that works for me. i can't imagine under any circumstance getting anyone 'known' to pull a name out. why the hell would they care?

the meeting point is yet to be announced because i) i haven't decided where it will be yet, and ii) [more sensibly] i don't want to make it public to anyone else that doesn't register their interest beforehand just in case it DOES get really popular/too busy. Zone 1's are indeed much more popular than any of the other challenges.

yes, of course you can get South West Trains between Vauxhall and Waterloo, duh.

yes, of course i mean one o'clock local London time, duh.

i'm still waiting for someone to come back to me to tell me on what route it was they ended at a station which they ran to and then had to wait until the arrival at the next station to mark their timing point. anyone?
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

I believe it was Starkey and Jamie who last year finished by running from High St Ken to Earls Court and then catching a train to West Kensington.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

greatkingrat wrote:I believe it was Starkey and Jamie who last year finished by running from High St Ken to Earls Court and then catching a train to West Kensington.
Indeed running through Boots the Chemist :P
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Indeed, although I can't remember where we started. I think that we were on a Circle line heading westbound at one point, and changed from it to a Piccadilly train at Gloucester Road to go straight back into town. We decided to do Earls Court later.
Mitchell&BrownLook
Zone 4

Post by Mitchell&BrownLook »

Mitchell&BrownLook wrote:Why do teams need to be made in advance? Why can't we just make them up on the day, and have our team photos taken for Geofftech prior to the draw (or at the post competition meeting point) as has happened previously for the Zone 1 Challenge.

Well, I make that sweeping statement surmising from the old Geofftech which contained said photos.
Without wishing to sound either rude or impatient, please may I have my earlier question answered Geoff?
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

Does it cause you problems if I register then don't turn up? I'm not sure about when my exams will be or anything!
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Mitchell&BrownLook wrote:Why do teams need to be made in advance? Why can't we just make them up on the day, and have our team photos taken for Geofftech prior to the draw (or at the post competition meeting point) as has happened previously for the Zone 1 Challenge.

Well, I make that sweeping statement surmising from the old Geofftech which contained said photos

Without wishing to sound either rude or impatient, please may I have my earlier question answered Geoff?
Sure ... make up your team name on the day day. I don't really care that much. You can do anything you want really, can't you? I can't stop you. You could lie about your times if you like, or just not do the whole thing at all, and just say that you did. You can refuse to register and turn up anyway on the day (because you could easily find out through someone else) and take part, you can really do anything you like because no matter what i write as the 'rules' somone will nit-pick, which (to me) is pointless because it's just a fun Zone 1 challenge and not a World Record attempt.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

greatkingrat wrote:I believe it was Starkey and Jamie who last year finished by running from High St Ken to Earls Court and then catching a train to West Kensington.
Ok.. so I'm assuming that they were heading west on a Circle and had just HSK and Earl's Court left to do, and so the went up from Gloucester Road to HSK and rather than wait for the Wimbleware down, they went on foot to Earl's Court and got the first train out - no matter what it was, which was a westbond stopping at West Ken.

Which to me, says that they've made the effort to get to Earl's Court (on foot/bus), and they've departed on a train from it, so it's 'done' the moment that that trains starts to pull out and leave - so yes, I'd still time it as the Earl's Court departure moment.

So using that logic, their time from last year is now faster by a couple of minutes! Right?
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

I have to say I agree with Geoff on the logic here - it's something I've often considered myself - but I think for the sake of keeping the rules 'as per GWR' we should continue to say that you have to travel on to the next station and end there.

However, if I were to write the rules for GWR I would say that you have the possibility of stopping the timer the moment the doors close at the final station, as that only seems logical.

You could also extend this to challenges such as the All Lines Challenge, which would affect both your start and finish times.
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

Without reading through the entire thread again to double check my facts, I don't think anyone is disputing the interpretation of the Guinness Rule, we seem to all accept that on a full network attempt you *have* to finish on an arriving train.

I would just say that Guinness ought to reconsider that rule (if doing so wouldn't upset the record tables) because it's illogical - the question is why do they want to outlaw finishing on a departing train? It seems completely unnecessary to me.

As I said, I agree that we should stick to the Guinness rules where possible on the Z1 day, I was just discussing the 'validity' (for want of a better word) of the Guinness ruling
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Whilst I agree 100% with Geoffs logic I think the problem is that if we now start to accept different rules for Z1 day then this will potentially undermine existing times that people have set. And once you do it for Z1 why not do the same rule for all other challenges? I know that alternative challenges are just a bit of fun and not like a GWR, but in order to be consistent we need to stick to the rules that have been adopted by the majority of challengers over the past few years.
One day I shall return!
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

This would drastically change the All Lines Challenge.

Geoff, you're sort of correct. But we actually had left the whole bit from Bayswater to Earls Court until the end. On getting to Bayswater, we again ended up on a Circle train, and rather than waiting around for a Wimbledon train at High Street Kensington, we ran (through Boots!) to Earls Court, and then took any train - to West Kensington, as it happened.

Olympia would have been an even cooler finish. :D
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

scrxisi wrote:... at the end of the day, Z1 day can have whatever rules the organisers consider important to make the day run well.
I think this more or less sums up the answer to all the anal arguments that we have every year.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA