Photos used in quizzes

A separate section for the ongoing photo quiz
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Photos used in quizzes

Post by tubeguru »

One of the problems that early photo quizzes suffered from was the use of other people's photos from around the internet. People soon learned that they could search photo-hosting websites and find an exact match for the picture being used.

That's why I would like to suggest that if the quiz setters are going to go to the trouble of putting up several photos, they should go out there and take the photos themselves, and preferably from "unusual" perspectives so as to make it slightly trickier for us.

Up to now I have not insisted that people should credit photos lifted from or linked to other people's websites. One of the problems with doing this is it just points people to the photo in its original context along with a caption that says where it is, thus defeating the purpose of the quiz.

So, from now on (the next quiz after 7.09) I would appreciate it if ALL photos used in quizzes are taken by the person setting the quiz and not lifted from other people's sites. A lot of the fun is lost if people can work out that the station must be one of three or four and then go onto Flickr to search for the possibilities.

Your thoughts?

Edit: I would also like to request that people don't Photoshop station names onto station roundels.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
mps247
Zone 4

Re: Photos used in quizzes

Post by mps247 »

I might not be correct when I say this, but once photographs are posted on photo-sharing sites like flickr, anybody can use them without having to credit the poster. I don't think there is any legal requirement to cite the photographer - similar to leaving your rubbish out on the street, where it is fair game for anybody to riffle through as it becomes public property.

In order to actually find the station in question, even if the image is taken from sites like flickr, you need to narrow it down to a handful of stations, unless you want to inspect every publically available photograph of all stations, past and present, on the London Underground. It is still challenging.

Of course, yes, it would be better for the person posting the quiz to have taken the photograph themselves. However, I think it unreasonable to expect James and tangy to take time out of their lives every week to travel to various tube and overground stations just to take pictures of them for their photo quiz. Especially when using a photo from a file-sharing website can be just as challenging too for the aforementioned reason.

This is probably a moot point, as Burnt Oak was the last photograph to be taken from Wikipedia (from memory, I could be wrong), which was a good number of weeks ago.
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

You make the assumption that those of us doing the quizzes are based in London and can easily take the photos in person. It's a tad difficult to do so with a full time job 80 miles from the capital.
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Yes, I did consider the living in London thing. That's why I'm not actually saying "you must do this" but "maybe we should do this".

If everyone's happy with the current system then we will continue as usual. I'm just airing some suggestions here. I didn't want to make it sound as though I was didcating what everyone must do. After all, it wasnh't even my idea to do photo quizzes in the first place. :)

Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I'm not going to set up a poll but feel free to if you want and I'll vote in it.

Member of sweet FA
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Does it really matter if people look on Flickr [sic]? It's hardly a serious quiz, and if people want to cheat, then that's their loss. I prefer just to look at the picture, and then solely rely upon my memory.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

It's amusing how you've "sic"-ed the use of Flickr, especially as that is the proper name of the website. Surely it doesn't need to be "sic"-ed?

Have you noticed how it's always us two who get into silly conversations over points of extreme pedantry? :)

(Mind you, it's always me who starts it).

Member of sweet FA
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

At the end of the day, it's a bit of harmless fun on a website. If anybody has a problem with me mixing found photos with my own pictures then by all means say so, but I really don't think it matters to people where my pictures are from. Anyway, people have to have an inkling of which station it is to confirm where I got the picture from anyway!
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Yes i have a problem with u James :evil: I cant seem every week to get any of them they are too hard.Only joking u r very good.
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:Yes i have a problem with u James :evil: I cant seem every week to get any of them they are too hard.Only joking u r very good.
Well, I don't want to make them too easy otherwise that gets boring, but I try and make them guessable with deductive work :)
gasman
Zone 4

Post by gasman »

mps247 wrote:I might not be correct when I say this, but once photographs are posted on photo-sharing sites like flickr, anybody can use them without having to credit the poster. I don't think there is any legal requirement to cite the photographer - similar to leaving your rubbish out on the street, where it is fair game for anybody to riffle through as it becomes public property.
You are wrong in quite a big way there, I'm afraid... Posting something on the internet doesn't make it public property; it's still the copyright of the creator. However, Flickr does provide the ability for people to licence their photos under Creative Commons, which is a way to grant everyone permission for specific things, such as using the photo non-commercially or using it in derived works (e.g. photomontages) - you can identify these photos because they have a link saying "Some rights reserved" in the right-hand column.

(Even so, those licences still require you to credit the original photographer more often than not.)
"This train is for King George the Fifth. So you can't go on it."
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

OK then, how about the person who uses the photo credits the photographer in the results?

Member of sweet FA
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Indeed we do Tubeguru, but only sometimes do I dare to demonstrate why you are wrong and I am right, because you are after all the boss of this forum.

I have a problem with you James. You support Gillingham.
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

Starkey7 wrote:I have a problem with you James. You support Gillingham.
That's understandable and you're by no means the first. :D
mps247
Zone 4

Post by mps247 »

gasman wrote:
mps247 wrote:I might not be correct when I say this, but once photographs are posted on photo-sharing sites like flickr, anybody can use them without having to credit the poster. I don't think there is any legal requirement to cite the photographer - similar to leaving your rubbish out on the street, where it is fair game for anybody to riffle through as it becomes public property.
You are wrong in quite a big way there, I'm afraid... Posting something on the internet doesn't make it public property; it's still the copyright of the creator. However, Flickr does provide the ability for people to licence their photos under Creative Commons, which is a way to grant everyone permission for specific things, such as using the photo non-commercially or using it in derived works (e.g. photomontages) - you can identify these photos because they have a link saying "Some rights reserved" in the right-hand column.

(Even so, those licences still require you to credit the original photographer more often than not.)
Thanks for clearing that up. Something else I wasn't sure of, that somebody on here might know - if you were actually using the photos for non-commercial purposes, such as the quiz on this site, what legal action could be taken against you for not citing the photographer? I mean, is plagiarism against the law if you're not making any money out of it?