Top Times - DLR Challenge

This section now houses all the Top Times threads
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

Soup Dragon wrote: Well done Ric, it's a shame that your record will only last until the end of the month. :)
Cheers Soupdragon. And as for the end of the month, you're quite correct. I've just looked at my diary and I'm in London on the 31st 8)
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

tpfkar wrote:
Soup Dragon wrote: Well done Ric, it's a shame that your record will only last until the end of the month. :)
Cheers Soupdragon. And as for the end of the month, you're quite correct. I've just looked at my diary and I'm in London on the 31st 8)
I guess there's a good chance that you could beat your own record, only time will tell. Hopefully with the smell of competition in my nostrils I will be able to do the 7 minute run and still be in the running for a good time myself. :)
One day I shall return!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Another time to add to the list, set on 29th July.

1:50:25 set by Antony, Jamie, Phillip & Ryan Brown

Good enough for third place despite a 9 minute wait at Gallions Reach :shock:
One day I shall return!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

The times from the DLR Challenge need to be added.

1:48:21 Phil Booth
2:00:28 Martin Hazel & Laxmeesh Rao
2:01:15 James Tong, Matt Nunn & Jack Bynoe
2:05:56 John Stark
2:11:24 Phillip & Jamie Brown
2:11:24 Kevin Brown
2:11:24 Matt Westcott
2:18:21 Antony Brown (slowest time in history) :(
One day I shall return!
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

All added to the list. I'll quote myself here:
Right, that's the top twenty. I think, now that we have a considerable base of times, I shall stop adding every single time set to the list. I will now only maintain the top twenty, and in addition, any individual's best time if it does not make the top twenty, and also the slowest recorded time. Keep challenging!
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

I decided to have another crack at the DLR last night with Jamie and for the first time on a challenge my daughter Emma ("oh my god, not another member of the Brown clan" I hear you cry.) :roll:

We just made it to Lewisham by the skin of our teeth for our planned departure. We had an excellent connection at Stratford (DLR to Jubilee) in just 55 seconds, and Canning Town (Jubilee to DLR) in 50 seconds.
We decided not to bust a gut on the Gallions Reach to KGV run and managed this in around 12 minutes, giving us a 3 minute wait for the next train to Bank. KGV was heaving and we just managed to force our way through the mass gathering of people into the "Front Row" seats to Bank :)

On the journey back towards Canary Wharf we were blessed with a fantastic sunset, with a glowing orange sun fully on view as we entered London City Airport station. Passing through Poplar we glanced the departure boards to check the time of the next Tower Gateway train, 6 minutes. When we arrived Limehouse the boards showed 7 minutes. We arrived at Shadwell in 1 hour 32 minutes with just two stations to go and had the difficult choice of going to Bank and gambling on a quick cross platform back to Shadwell or waiting 7 minutes for the Tower Gateway train. A quick calculation and I worked out that if we waited 7 minutes our eventual time would be around 1 hour 48 mins, so we decided to gamble :shock:

Our train sped towards Bank and as we approached the the end of the Platform, Jamie glimpsed the back of a train just departing. The next departure from Bank was 4 minutes, so the gamble had failed :(
We eventually got back to Shadwell and finished at Tower Gateway in a respectable time of 1:50:59.
Last edited by Soup Dragon on 09 Aug 2007, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.
One day I shall return!
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

It may be me misreading that, but did you go to Beckton?

Yes, I've got KGV and Gallions Reach confused.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

jamesthegill wrote:It may be me misreading that, but did you go to Beckton?

Yes, I've got KGV and Gallions Reach confused.
I just mentioned some of the good bits, Beckton was not so good. It should have been a one minute turn around, but by the time the stupid woman controlling the train had finished phaffing around it was more like 3 minutes. The only difference this would have made would have been if you had been planning the 7 minute run Gallions to KGV, this would have only given you 5 minutes.
One day I shall return!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Hard luck Soupie, could have been a possible record with a bit more fortune.... :(

Hope The "Pizza Princess" enjoyed her first challenge, can we expect to see her on our next GWR or The Cannon Street Run II....... :?: :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Oh. I would have come, actually, but I was having dinner at a friend's house in Hertford and it would have been a shame to cut it short. Glad that you had a good laugh. I'm surprised that you risked the Bank double-back with only six minutes on the clock! I'd have run from Bank to Tower Gateway, or maybe just stuck it out at Shadwell.
Dr Who
Zone 6

Post by Dr Who »

Starkey7 wrote: Glad that you had a good laugh. I'm surprised that you risked the Bank double-back with only six minutes on the clock!

I didn't have a good laugh I told Soup Dragon not to risk it, but that’s the Gamble! :wink:
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Dr Who wrote:
Starkey7 wrote: Glad that you had a good laugh. I'm surprised that you risked the Bank double-back with only six minutes on the clock!

I didn't have a good laugh I told Soup Dragon not to risk it, but that’s the Gamble! :wink:
Take your time settle in, if you won it would only have been a Caravan anyway..... You still got your tankards and you bullies :wink:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

Soup Dragon wrote:and for the first time on a challenge my daughter Emma ("oh my god, not another member of the Brown clan" I hear you cry.) :roll:
How many of you are there? !!!
- Andrew
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

A2 wrote:
Soup Dragon wrote:and for the first time on a challenge my daughter Emma ("oh my god, not another member of the Brown clan" I hear you cry.) :roll:
How many of you are there? !!!
Soupie is on Hols, but I can confirm there are now 6..... :shock:

If you include Grannie as well who brings the lunch on our full network attempt it's 7........... :wink:
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

And I seem almost to be an honourary member!