Top Times - DLR Challenge

This section now houses all the Top Times threads
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Starkey7 wrote:And I seem almost to be an honourary member!
Poor John having to put up with us lot all the time......... :(
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

scrxisi wrote:Howdy. I am here in a "Matt posts a good time on a challenge" shocker. Having missed the official DLR 19y 11m anniversary challenge back in July, a particular annoyance for me as I consider it my "home network" on the tube map (I live just down the road from Lewisham), I decided to go out and give it a bash today.

I tried for literally hours (maybe) to devise a route lacking a certain mammoth run but couldn't think of one I liked so it was a Lewisham-City route with options along the way. Gorgeous changes at every change bar the infamous run. I timed it at 14:58 train-train, having missed a train out of King George V by 3 minutes. I actually cheated and caught a 474 because by the time I got over the bridge (I assume you know where I mean) I was jelly-legged and walking and one happened to come along so I hopped on for a few stops.

I elected to go to Bank first, reverse to Shadwell, reverse again routine at the end and the clock ticked past 1h44, which is what I thought the record was, as I awaited my final train in Shadwell, and I eventually rolled into Tower Gateway for a time of 1h47:23. I thought I was 3 minutes down and wasn't even that bothered as it was a first attempt but I get home and see that 28 seconds would've got me up top.

But anywho, second will do very nicely. Langdon Park seems to be getting quite close to opening, which I assume from the above means a new record to be gone for? Was good to finally register a good time on a challenge - my Z1 and Bottle times weren't amazing, though I did jointly win the 15 random unplanned one (btw we should do one of those again :)) - even if it's not the most complex of challenges to devise a route for...
Nice one Matt, that is indeed a cracking time and you are correct once Langdon Park is open of course a new record time will be up for grabs..

Couldn't agree more about "Random 15" great fun and hopefully we can get another one of those sorted soon... Come on tpfkar :P :!:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

I've added this time to my site.
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

Good run scrxisi - less than half a minute eek! Although it does show that the record is beatable, and i think a perfect time (and our route seems to be emerging as the consensus as the strongest route) could be as low as 1:40.

And yes I did enjoy the unplanned challenge, and still have the program I used for generating the stations at home. I might even put Vauxhall, Sloane Square and St James Park in this time :)

I'm in London on several work visits during October, I will look at my diary when back home (in a B&B near Bristol tonight) and propose a date near the end of this month.
ping pon
Zone 4

Post by ping pon »

is that your first DLR challenge?? :?:
One has lost the game !!!!!
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Which reminds me that I must get back out on teh system and try to reclaim this record before Langdon Park opens
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

tpfkar wrote: And yes I did enjoy the unplanned challenge, and still have the program I used for generating the stations at home. I might even put Vauxhall, Sloane Square and St James Park in this time :)

I'm in London on several work visits during October, I will look at my diary when back home (in a B&B near Bristol tonight) and propose a date near the end of this month.
Good news Ric, please keep us updated :D
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Matt, well done on a good time for the DLR. I still maintain that this is one of the softest records on the books and anyone tough enough to consider the Gallions to King George run has the potential to make around 1h30m.

Rick, look forward to a possible 15 random station challenge in October. If possible please try and organise in the half term week so that Ping Pon can attend.
Last edited by Soup Dragon on 06 Oct 2007, 10:37, edited 1 time in total.
One day I shall return!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Soup Dragon wrote:Matt, well done on a good time for the DLR. I still maintain that this is one of the softest records on the books and anyone tough enough to consider the Gallions to King George run has the potential to make around 1h30m.

Rick, lock forward to a possible 15 random station challenge in October. If possible please try and organise in the half term week so that Ping Pon can attend.

On point one I am in full training and confident of making this run in the near future with time to spare for a sandwich and flask of tea with King George V..... :wink:

On point two 1/2 term week in case Rick(sic) needs to know is Oct 22nd - 26th :P
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

Going Underground wrote: On point two 1/2 term week in case Rick(sic) needs to know is Oct 22nd - 26th :P

Ric does know, and as it is off-topic for this thread I've created a new one in the alternative challenges section you might be interested in.

Although I've just realised that I've said I'll reveal the starting station on Sunday, but I'm in fact only getting back from Germany at 11pm on Monday...so there might not be much advance warning!
nozzacook
All Zones

Re: Top Times - DLR Challenge

Post by nozzacook »

Hi just to register a time for a 39 station DLR of 1 Hour 57min 39 sec By Damian Cook (nozzacook) & Matthew Cook 15/02/08
Not to shabby for a first attempt / recce
Cheers Nozzacook
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

I suppose I could update the list now...
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Dont forget to put me and Tangy at the top of the list though
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

I don't see your time in this thread - what is it? If you could also provide the full names of all participants, se olis hienoä :)
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »