Top Times - DLR Challenge

This section now houses all the Top Times threads
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

How about I ban you all? :)
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

We need to get back on topic anyway. :D
This is all under the Topic of "Top Times - DLR Challenge"

So with the DLR in mind the current record will not exist beyond February 2009 when the extension to Woolwich Arsenal opens, so we can all start planning now for a mass attempt at setting a new DLR record in 2009 :lol:
One day I shall return!
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

Anyway, Neil, how about you go and sticky that alphabet top times I created? Pleeease..? :D
ping pon
Zone 4

Post by ping pon »

jonny wrote:Anyway, Neil, how about you go and sticky that alphabet top times I created? Pleeease..? :D
I 2nd that
One has lost the game !!!!!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

ping pon wrote:
jonny wrote:Anyway, Neil, how about you go and sticky that alphabet top times I created? Pleeease..? :D
I 2nd that
In fear of being banned thirded :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Root wrote:If you, let's say, happened to break the Bottle challenge record whilst attempting a Zone 1 challenge, would that not be valid? I'm sure you agree that it is. Consider then, would a record for 274 stations should be valid if you set it during an attempt at 275? I think it should be. However, I'm sure Guinness won't agree, so it's pretty futile discussing it in terms of the whole network challenge. However, with regard to our minor challenges which aren't independently verified, I think a change that involves only a reduction in required stations, with no service changes (eg no new track, no new stations - for example if a border station were moved into zone 2) should allow for existing times on the old configuration to stand.
Ok so talking along similar lines here should a Z1 record time be acceptable on the basis of deducting the time you started your watch from the initial starting station because you visited it later on during the route :?:
This example was evident on Z1 day where a chosen route meant that Westminster and Waterloo were "visited" again later in the challenge. The complete Z1 time was when the watch stopped at Vauxhall.
The calculated Z1 time was taken from Southwark, however from the time the watch actually started at Westminster until it was stopped at Vauxhall you have not visited all the stations in Z1 :?

And of course you don't have to visit Westminster and Waterloo later again that is down to yout own route planning.

Sorry John nothing personal honest :wink:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Not at all! In fact, I can explain that away quite simply. We duly started the challenge at Westminster, but as we pulled into Southwark we were already two minutes late (the Jubilee line had delays) so I was feeling quite hopeless about the whole thing. So what I did was to stop my watch, reset it and start a completely fresh attempt from Southwark, which I'm quite at liberty to do if I so desire. It's just that I forgot to mention that to everyone at the pub. :wink:
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

Starkey7 wrote:Not at all! In fact, I can explain that away quite simply. We duly started the challenge at Westminster, but as we pulled into Southwark we were already two minutes late (the Jubilee line had delays) so I was feeling quite hopeless about the whole thing. So what I did was to stop my watch, reset it and start a completely fresh attempt from Southwark, which I'm quite at liberty to do if I so desire. It's just that I forgot to mention that to everyone at the pub. :wink:
Eh? for the challenge day, all times *had* to start from Westminster. Very clearly in the rules. And no restarts. Our team would dearly have loved to have restarted the stopwatches from Covent Garden, but as the timer had begun at Westminster, we just ploughed on. (In fact, had we been allowed to do this, we'd have stayed on that last Circle line train to a St James Park finsh, probably getting us a 3:20 time or something like that.

However for the record you can start and finish where you like. In your case, your Z1 record route was a subset of your Z1 challenge route. So IIRC you declared 2:47 from Westminster in the pub, but also 2:43 from Southwark. So your time on the day was 2:47 but no-one disputed the record. That is what you did right?
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Exactly.

In fact, if someone devises a circular route, then I suppose that they could go round and round all day, taking split times at every station, until that gives them a record time. Unsporting? I don't think so. But probably a waste of time!

I seem to remember, a while back, submitting my first ever Zone 1 time as a Bottle time as well. The Bottle is in particular a subset of Zone 1, and it was accepted without question!
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

I submit 19h40m as a zone 1 attempt time :D
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

haha. top stuff. altho that time may rival some of the times at Z1 this year ;)
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

The DLR was officially opened nearly 20 years ago by Queen Elizabeth II on 31st July 1987, so how about we do a DLR challenge on the evening of Tuesday 31st July 2007 to celebrate the 20th Anniversay?

So far my time taken for this challenge is 19 years 308 days and I've only managed to visit 10 of the DLR stations! :D
One day I shall return!
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

at last a normal post to view today!! sounds like a good idea!
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

As in my other post in this section, I did the DLR challenge earlier today in a time of 1h 46m 55s.

Feel free to update the leaderboard :)
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

tpfkar wrote:As in my other post in this section, I did the DLR challenge earlier today in a time of 1h 46m 55s.

Feel free to update the leaderboard :)
Well done Ric, it's a shame that your record will only last until the end of the month. :)
One day I shall return!