Top times: Full Network Challenge

This section now houses all the Top Times threads
MylesHSG
Zone 5

Re: Top times: Full Network Challenge

Post by MylesHSG »

To be fair one of those dots was 'I just want a completion with the least running' by me. Another was the CiN lest than perfect High Barnet - Cockfosters route. And another was a when Iain was less experenced of the network with Glen so its not like Geoff and Andi were going out with full support teams on those occasions.
The King is back! Long live The King!
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

that's a great graph! although yes it it would make more sense to have time on the X though, yes. and 'pop ups', obviously on an interactive version, and not just a still JPG.

i am able to identify my blobs though, that's right - two sub 17-hour times, and no record to show for it ... !
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

geofftech wrote:that's a great graph! although yes it it would make more sense to have time on the X though,
In my opinion, the axes are the right way round - the date along the x-axis is more usual and makes it clearer to interpret. Two factors stand out for me - how the timetable changes at the end of last year make quick times harder to come by, and now because the record is so hard to beat the number of completions is thinning out.
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Surly you want what is measured (Completion Time) on the y axis and what is fixed data (Date) on the x axis?

Don't forget that the graph doesn't include all of the non-completion attempts. Also, 3 of the last 5 completions where first completions for Me, Iain and Myles respectably. Now, I'll only go for a completion If we have a projected time of 17½ hours or less. Any slower and I'm going to the pub! :D
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Nigel wrote:
geofftech wrote:that's a great graph! although yes it it would make more sense to have time on the X though,
In my opinion, the axes are the right way round - the date along the x-axis is more usual and makes it clearer to interpret. Two factors stand out for me - how the timetable changes at the end of last year make quick times harder to come by, and now because the record is so hard to beat the number of completions is thinning out.
Well if people dont go to the bitter end record or not that explains why the completion stats are not higher i suppose its all my fault! :oops:
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Nigel wrote:and now because the record is so hard to beat the number of completions is thinning out.
Yes mine are just reduced to charity attempts now, with routes on paper of around 16hrs 50mins at best there seems little point in all the effort of stopwatch operators, logging, witness statements, photos, train numbers etc...
The record was soft, very soft up until a couple of years ago and with luck I could have had 4 GWR's and with more thought on routes and timetabling at least 10-12 could have been easily attainable..... To think that we set a GWR in 2007 at least 90mins outside our projected time and again in 2008 missing a Woodford train and had a 19 minute wait (due train being held up around Hainault loop) and then being further held up by at least 30mins due WW2 bomb being found at Barking..... Looking back there was so much slack in the GWR times it seems ridiculous now :shock:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
MylesHSG
Zone 5

Post by MylesHSG »

We have truely reached a peak in tube challenge performance!
The King is back! Long live The King!
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

I agree with Nigel and Glen - when you're trying to measure how a variable changes over time then time goes on the x axis. In this case the time is over months, hence the dates on the x axis. The variable being examined also happens to be a time, but it still belongs on the y-axis as the graph is to examine how that (completion time) changes over time (in this case months).

I suspect people will now bail at a lower time, we said we'd bail on our last run if we went outside 18 hours, but now we'd lower that figure. We could if we'd desired have completed the previous attempt in a projected 18:03, and Geoff's run would be sub 17 - but neither shows on the graph as both attempts were abandoned.

I suspect this is likely to happen once the configuration is settled for a while - once the record time becomes low and people's best attempt become low, there'll be a lot more bailing, with only people otherwise without completions submitting high times. In short, I think it's hard to draw many conclusions from the data.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Times on the first page of this thread updated with my effort of yesterday.
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Times on the first pages updated with completions from the Tube Olympics 2012.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Ur have improved your time better than kevin now Sir Soup brotherly rivalry!
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

List on first page updated with tractakid's completion.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Thanks Nigel. I was surprised to see the clock stop on a remarkably round number!
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Updated the times on the first page with my effort of yesterday. I've just noticed that the minutes and seconds (past the 10 minute frequency of the Heathrow T5 train) were exactly the same as my time in June, i.e 43m36s compared with 23m36s.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Awesome top 5 time well done indeed :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold