ZONE 1 WARM UP EVENT OR RUN AFTER EVENT 2009

All you need to know and discuss about the 2009 Zone 1 Challenge.
mps247
Zone 4

Re: ZONE 1 WARM UP EVENT OR RUN AFTER EVENT 2009

Post by mps247 »

Soup Dragon wrote:Well I think we can safely say that Saturday 30th May is now the date for this challenge.
Bearing in mind that it is cup final day it could create one or two problems, if we start too close to kick off time. Normally we start at 1300, but perhaps we should bring this forward, another possible suggestion is that we have Willesden Green as the starting station and then at least we should be heading away from Wembley at the start rather than any chance of heading toward it during the build up to the game. Comments & suggestions welcome :)
I was going to suggest either Temple or Embankment as possible start stations due to 30 May 2009 being their 139th anniversary (Blackfriars was also opened on the same date, but seeing as it is temporarily closed it probably isn't the best place to start from). Embankment is probably the better choice as there are more possibilities for starting routes. Also, I'm not sure about how people would feel about an R15 starting at Aldwych in September to mark the 15th anniversary of its closure - if people are keen on the idea, then starting at Temple might not be a good idea this time round seeing as it is so close to Aldwych.

Anyway, I'll be in London all day, so an earlier start is fine with me.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Yes I think it's best to reserve Aldwych for September, that will be round 2 of the next R15 championship.
As I mentioned my main concern is getting caught up in any pre-Wembley nonsense which is why I suggest we start up there. That way we a guaranteed to be moving away from the area and avoiding too many problems.
One day I shall return!
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Willesden Green seems like a sensible idea. Maybe a 1200 start?
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
mps247
Zone 4

Post by mps247 »

A Willesden Green start is fine with me, and whatever time you should choose. I'm busy in the evening, so I suppose the earlier the better!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

I can be anywhere at anytime for this, but may be a bit slung over from Z1 day... :P
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Why do you lot always choose start stations that with the Victoria line and NLL closed for works are very difficult to get to from Walthamstow?

The ony train route Walthamstow gets most weekends is National Express into Liverpool Street, which is not ideal for Willesden Green!
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
dudey
Zone 5

Post by dudey »

Some of us have 2 hour journeys just to get into London!

I'll obviously be coming to Z1 Day, but i'm not sure i can spare another entire day out what with this bang smack in the middle of my end-of-year exams, so I think I'll give it a miss.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Matt is ur random 15 generator working now. :?: If not i prepare a list and seal in an envelope
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

tangy wrote:Why do you lot always choose start stations that with the Victoria line and NLL closed for works are very difficult to get to from Walthamstow?

The ony train route Walthamstow gets most weekends is National Express into Liverpool Street, which is not ideal for Willesden Green!
I am not sure it has been agreed yet :?: I am happy to start anywhere at any time think of the logistical fun trying to avoid the 85000 odd people heading to Wemberely :P
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
palkanetoijala31

Well if it goes ahead why dont i do a list of 14 stations sealed then u can choose ur starting station/time as you wish.?
palkanetoijala31

I have done using Matt site a r14 with Willesden Green the fixed start missing out.I believe Blackfriars,Vauxhall,Pimlico,Brixton,Southwark,Canning Town,Canary Wharf and North Greenwich as Victoria line is out and Jubilee line from Green Park-Stratford is out and all these stations dont have a possible way in or our of them by another tube line.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Shouldn't Blackfriars be in a as pass through?
palkanetoijala31

yes i slipped up there i do again.
palkanetoijala31

Have done again with the following missing

Bermondsey, Canada Water, Canary Wharf, Highbury & Islington, Pimlico, Southwark, Vauxhall
mps247
Zone 4

Post by mps247 »

You also need to exclude Brixton.

Here is what should be excluded in alphabetical order:
Bermondsey
Brixton
Canada Water
Canary Wharf
Highbury & Islington
North Greenwich