ZONE 1 CHALLENGE CUP 2009 OFFICIAL RULES

All you need to know and discuss about the 2009 Zone 1 Challenge.
mps247
Zone 4

Re: ZONE 1 CHALLENGE CUP 2009 OFFICIAL RULES

Post by mps247 »

I see what you mean. I didn't quite get that impression from reading the rules, but I probably haven't read them carefully enough. If that is true, and you must take the second train regardless of its destination, I think it is quite a nice gamble - it can make for some quite interesting gambles with the first train, and means that you will probably have to change your route on the fly.

However, I don't understand why you have to take the first train to your required destination. The only reason I can think of is the time limit. However, this would be part of the gamble, and if you don't finish by 5 pm you have to give up.

Sorry to go on about it - it's the reasoning behind the rule that I don't understand.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I've never been entirely sure myself as to when it was first used and why. I'm sure someone knows.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
mps247
Zone 4

Post by mps247 »

Ah, I do see what you mean. Although, it could be argued that by waiting for the second train, you may miss your connection at Earl's Court and have an 8 minute wait there - it could have gone either way. However, I do understand your point in that taking the first train to your desired destination puts every team on an equal pegging.

You could argue that routes will differ, so even if team B caught up with team A, team B would probably lose time somewhere else.

Thanks. Perhaps I should stop playing Devil's Advocate. I was just trying to see the logic behind the rule. I don't agree with it, but it is Andi's call in the end.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

mps247 wrote:Perhaps I should stop playing Devil's Advocate.
I do it all the time. :)

Member of sweet FA
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

scrxisi wrote:My issue wasn't really to disagree with your rule per se, more that your criteria seemed odd. If you rocked up and said "this year, for a laugh, only interchange stations will be in the hat", I don't think it'd be an issue - actually, in 5 years we've had 4 different starting methods (Vauxhall was chosen the first time I believe, then there were only non interchanges stations in the hat the next, then two years of the big draw and finally nominations last year); but this one didn't seem to add up which is why I think the reaction has been such.

The video mentioned is now up at http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=C7-km0M51ts
Bank station is really quite a maze, 1st time I have seen it at walking pace :wink:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

scrxisi wrote:First time I walked it at walking pace!

Just to be weird, if Bank is drawn I'm starting on the W&C :)
To be honest my Bank Z1 route does really start with The W & C
:shock:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Correct me if im wrong people if Paddington h&c was drawn majority of the teams would head eastbound.But are they Edgware Road terminators on the h&c eastbound ie hammersmith h&c to just Edgware road i thought they at least went to Whitechapel.
mps247
Zone 4

Post by mps247 »

I suppose problems on the line could force a Hammersmith & City line train to terminate short, similar to when there are problems on the Piccadilly line and your train from Heathrow terminates at Northfields.

I don't think there is anything preventing a Hammermith & City line train from terminating at Edgware Road. To the best of my knowledge, after passing through Praed Street junction, Hammersmith & City line trains share the track with District (and Circle) line services. So I think they have access to the terminating platforms on Edgware Road.
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Nope, I've been on at least two or three that have finished at Edgware Road. I think that people should be allowed to wait as long as necessary for a Whitechapel train. (Some have even been known to terminate at Moorgate!!)
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:Correct me if im wrong people if Paddington h&c was drawn majority of the teams would head eastbound.
I wouldn't, but then again I have a killer DLR route involving an Archway doubleback :D
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

The reason I was confident in my initial mention of Edgware Road terminators is that I live on the H&C line and I have found myself on trains that have tipped us out at Edgware Road with no warning. Problems on the Circle line can easily result in your pink train becoming a yellow one at ER.

Member of sweet FA
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

What happens if while between Paddington H&C and Edgware Road it is advertised as terminating (where previosuly it was advertised as going through), would we all be allowed to head back and restart on a Whitechapel service?
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

scrxisi wrote:I reckon rule 7 and comment 7c handle this one...
Basically I was meaning if "everyone" was going East would it be allowed, as then it isn't disadvantaging anyone restarting which it would in most other circumstances. Or would no one want to restart then?
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

I think once you have started that is it. Any delays, early terminators etc after that is just bad luck.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

joy54 wrote:
scrxisi wrote:I reckon rule 7 and comment 7c handle this one...
Basically I was meaning if "everyone" was going East would it be allowed, as then it isn't disadvantaging anyone restarting which it would in most other circumstances. Or would no one want to restart then?
I would if it came out risk it going west just to be different and hope the bakerloo went down just afterwards :lol: