Zone 1 Challenge - FRIDAY 29th MAY 2009

All you need to know and discuss about the 2009 Zone 1 Challenge.
palkanetoijala31

Zone 1 Challenge - FRIDAY 29th MAY 2009

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

I presume that the Annual Zone 1 challenge will go ahead on this date.Would everybody like a quiz with prizes l8r held in the pub afterwards (has anybody booked the Horse and Groom or should we try somewhere different.?) I intend to do a 30 question quiz 5 rounds of 5 questions then a wipeout round also a 15 identify the picture quiz and a 10 question hard facts about the tube past and present and 2 spot prizes.

The winners of the main quiz will recieve a trophy the picture round will be a £10 seperate to the winner and anything else a box of choccies.

Any input would be helpful andi.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: zone 1 day friday may 29th.?

Post by Going Underground »

If that is the school half term week then that would make sense.....

Regarding the venue if you do want to change please bear the following in mind....

1) The beer is relatively cheap for Central London at The Horse & Groom....

2) I spent hours walking around Central London in 2007 trying to find a venue that was;
A) Child friendly. B) Would let us have use of a function room on a Friday C) Didn't want a minumum spend of £500.00... In the end we couldn't find anywhere and is desperation called The Angel in the Fields who had initially had said no to a Friday but subsequently changed their minds...

3) In 2008 we popped in The Horse & Groom for a post challenge drink and I booked the venue without problem or having to traipse around London, no problem with under 18's and no minimum spend :D
It is still the same landlord and he knows us well now as we have used the pub many times and he always asks he we have been on the tubes. So I don't see a problem, assuming the room isn't already booked 8)

The quiz sounds goods, at least you have more time to prepare this year...
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Zoe
Zone 2

Post by Zoe »

May 29 is about the only date I could make so it sounds good.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

I would agree that 29th May is the best day for this years Z1CC.
Also I agree with Kevin that we should stick with the Horse & Groom.
Who is organising this years event? We tried to start the tradition of the previous years winner organising the event, but that would be unfair on HÃ¥kan to organise again, therefore the honour should fall to Phil Booth who finished 2nd last year.
One day I shall return!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

As usual, if anyone wishes me to help with anything on the day let me know and I'll take a day's floating annual leave.

I can't be more specific because as luck would have it the current timetable (and therefore my current link pattern) finishes on the previous week, but I know that I would normally be on earlies that week so would not really be any use.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Soup Dragon wrote:I would agree that 29th May is the best day for this years Z1CC.
Also I agree with Kevin that we should stick with the Horse & Groom.
Who is organising this years event? We tried to start the tradition of the previous years winner organising the event, but that would be unfair on HÃ¥kan to organise again, therefore the honour should fall to Phil Booth who finished 2nd last year.
Yes, for practical reasons (and the fact that we organised "out of order" last year), we'd be willing to let someone else have the privilegie this time... I thought Andi was all set to organise it this year.

Yes, May 29th sounds excellent. My only wish is that it's decided as early as possible (no rush quite yet though).
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

Soup Dragon wrote: therefore the honour should fall to Phil Booth who finished 2nd last year.
Cheers for that soupy, although there is still one ex winner who has yet to organise an event.
palkanetoijala31

Whom is that :?: on a provision i have booked the Horse and Groom for Friday 29th May 2009 allready so the venue is sorted the bar would like to know if people would like the kitchen open till 4.30pm which gives most people around an hour for food.

The quiz is allready done if we get a basic idea of the numbers whom are interested for zone 1 day friday may 29th please put ur name below.
Zoe
Zone 2

Post by Zoe »

What time are the results announced after the challenge? If I do go to this event I won't be able to hang around that long after due to having to get back to Devon.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Zoe wrote:What time are the results announced after the challenge? If I do go to this event I won't be able to hang around that long after due to having to get back to Devon.
We normally start at 1pm and the challenge itself should take 3 to 4 hours.... The room is booked from 4 pm onwards and everyone heads back as soon as they completed the Z1...

You hand your time in to the organiser and then as soon as all the competitors are back the results are announced.... I would guess somewhere around 6pm :?:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
dudey
Zone 5

Post by dudey »

Going Underground wrote:
Zoe wrote:What time are the results announced after the challenge? If I do go to this event I won't be able to hang around that long after due to having to get back to Devon.
I would guess somewhere around 6pm :?:
Probably a bit earlier than that i would say? As a guide i think you could be away by 6pm

PS. Shouldn't this be in the Alternative challenges?
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

dudey wrote:Probably a bit earlier than that i would say? As a guide i think you could be away by 6pm

PS. Shouldn't this be in the Alternative challenges?
Hopefully I will be away to the dart board by 6pm :P

And yes I did think that myself..... perhaps one of our kindly moderators can move the topic
Zoe
Zone 2

Post by Zoe »

Going Underground wrote:You hand your time in to the organiser and then as soon as all the competitors are back the results are announced.... I would guess somewhere around 6pm :?:
So the challenge should be over before the evening peak?
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Zoe wrote:
Going Underground wrote:You hand your time in to the organiser and then as soon as all the competitors are back the results are announced.... I would guess somewhere around 6pm :?:
So the challenge should be over before the evening peak?
Yep that is always the plan, get around Z1 prior to the rush hour (or hours)
palkanetoijala31

Zone 1 Challenge 2009 - ALL DISCUSSION

Well seeing as i have already organised the venue for the After events Horse & Groom (Great Portland Street) and the date is set Friday May 29th.

I will happily put my name down to organise it this year along with Sara to help me.Now if anybody wishes to add some suggestions or offer any help for the day feel free to pm me or get hold of me on msn messenger my screenname is Palakanetoijala@293ntlworld.com.

Or add to this topic freely with any thoughts.

a full list of rules will appear after i have read hakan,s from last year.Is it possible Neil or Chris to move this to a seperate topic like Hakans last year Zone 1 2009