Zone 1 Challenge Cup 2008 May 30:th 2008

All you need to know and discuss about the 2008 Zone 1 Challenge.
hwolge
Zone 6

Re: Zone 1 Challenge May 30:th 2008

Post by hwolge »

Root wrote:I won't be attending the Thursday night warm-up event. I've no problem with it happening, but I think it should just remain a bit of fun... I'm not sure that officially announcing the winner and giving out a certificate on the Friday is really necessary. If you're going to do a load of challenges on one day, how about missing out the Zone 1 Challenge? We wouldn't want people getting fatigued before the main event had even begun now, would we?

Just keep it simple.
Ollie, I both agree an disagree in this. You do raise a legitimate concern but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I promise you we won't let the possible warmup challlenge(s) in any way overshadow the Z1C. I haven't mentioned any certificates, have I? What I have in mind is an official *small* recognition of the warmup event(s). I don't think there is a significant risk that people burn out on the warmup challenge(s). After all, by now the Zone 1 Challenge is fairly well recognised among tube challengers and any extra challenges will be just that - extra!
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Maybe I'm overreacting... but Ithink my points are still worth keeping in mind to some degree.

The children! Won't someone please think of the children?
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

I think we should keep it like last year, it worked really well with some people coming along to the R15 that couldn't make the Friday Z1 anyway...... No I don't have any intention in challenging all day Thursday I just mentioned the fact I was off work all week and was available to start this earlier in the day or meet up prior to the challenge for a beer or something..... :D

The Friday Z1 will always be "The big one" :wink:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Damn straight ;)

I'd just like to make it known that I'm sort of scouting for someone to team up with. I've had two different team mates in two years and, as lovely as Pete and Sam are, I'd like to continue in that fashion. It seems to be a good way of getting to know individual people from the community. I'm mainly looking for someone chatty with a good sense of humour who can run a bit.

If I don't find anyone, I'll just look for a random newcomer on the day and offer to hold their hand :)

I really hope we get an awkward starting station; something like Covent Garden or one of the Aldgates. That'd separate the routemasters from the bendy buses.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

I havent got a teammate Ollie then we can have a Finnish Team and i can certainly run ask anybody yesterday we had some fun running ahead of a bus even turned out to our advantage ask poor Kevin (going undeground) and his re routing of the 65 bus.

plus i changed my signature just for u
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

That was nice of you :P

Sure, I'm up for a Finnish team. There might even be a little Nordic rivalry with the Swedes!

We can shout at each other in a language no-one else understands - could be a tactical advantage.
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

Root wrote:That was nice of you :P

Sure, I'm up for a Finnish team. There might even be a little Nordic rivalry with the Swedes!

We can shout at each other in a language no-one else understands - could be a tactical advantage.
I could always bring Mrs Editorsfoot along and form a Danish team!

As for promoting Z1 day this year you could always try and do a bit of social networking on facebook, set up an event or something like that, it might bring a few new people into the forum and the event.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Someone else can do that, I don't have a Facebook account, nor do I want one :)
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

Root wrote:Someone else can do that, I don't have a Facebook account, nor do I want one :)
Alright, leave it with me
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

I'm (tentatively) coming to this. I'm not as hacked off with the whole thing as I was last year.

I still think the warm-up idea is silly, though. Takes away from the fun side of it, and makes it more of a geeky obsession. But hey, that's just me.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Nutteronabus wrote:I'm (tentatively) coming to this. I'm not as hacked off with the whole thing as I was last year.

I still think the warm-up idea is silly, though. Takes away from the fun side of it, and makes it more of a geeky obsession. But hey, that's just me.
Good to see you back Chris, be nice if you could make it on the day....... 8)

The warm-up challenge worked very well last year there were at least 3 people that wanted to get invloved in "Tubefest 07" that couldn't make the Friday including Matt (srcxisi) and 2 other guys who's names I can't recall.....Sure it's not for everyone but there was a pretty decent turn out last year certainly in double figures and didn't take anything away from the fun side of it or detract from the main event itself..... :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

Well if anyone fancies a bit of promotion through facebook (or myface as one of less internet savvy mates called it) I've set up an event at http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=24812725590
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

scrxisi wrote:Ahem. I very much made the main event last year. You may forget this due to my finishing 17th. Temple to Covent Garden run anyone? Awesome :)

I will, of course, be winning this year*.

* Maybe
Sorry Matt........ :oops: I did have a few pints post-event last year.......
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Sorry ollie the missus has decided to wish to do this challenge with me so there goes chance of winning but im not bothered.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

palkanetoijala31 wrote:Sorry ollie the missus has decided to wish to do this challenge with me so there goes chance of winning but im not bothered.
As I always say "It's not the winning it's the taking part that counts" :wink: