re:Zone 1 challenge May 2008

All you need to know and discuss about the 2008 Zone 1 Challenge.

what date would you prefer Zone 1 Challenge?

May 2nd
No votes
May 9th
15%
May 16th
23%
May 23rd
8%
May 30th
54%
not have on a friday but a different day
No votes

Total votes: 13

palkanetoijala31

re:Zone 1 challenge May 2008

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Well there are 5 Fridays in march starting with the 2nd what i suggest if this is to go ahead people say what they want and where they would like everybody to meet up?.
al
Zone 6

Re: re:Zone 1 challenge May 2008

Post by al »

The 2nd and 23rd are on Bank Holiday weekends, so I would suggest they should be avoided. My vote is therefore for the 9th.
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

I vote for 30th May. It is during half term, so hopefully less people at work and the tubes are a bit quieter. Plus that way everyone can take part.
One day I shall return!
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

I voted the 23:rd - for two reasons:
1) It fits me and Patrick the best
2) Then, in a sense we keep it the same week as usual (actually the 16:th could also be considered the same week. (2005 - 20:th, 2006 - 19:th, 2007 - 18:th)

Anyway we'll try to make it whenever it will be!

I and Patrick discussed the possibility of helping out, since we won in -05 but that was before the pronciple of the winners organising the following year was established. I've pm-ed Starkey7 on this matter since he won last year, but has not yet got a response - guess he's pretty busy at university...

Anyways, looking forward to another Z1C!
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

To be honest I am happy to go along with any Friday in May, I do think we should keep it as a Friday...

I will try and talk to John and see if I can help him organise this once we have got sport relief out of the way...

Ideally we want to try and get the same venue again for the post-challenge meet up, I did a lot of footwork last year prior to Z1 day with David Scard and Dr Whot and he problem was either no under 18's or minumu £500 spend, which would be difficult to guarantee.....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

May 30th is out for me- hioliday time down in the Westcountry. Any of the other dates though is fine.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
Zone 2

Post by 43019 »

I've voted for May 30th, but as tangy and I were planning to do this challenge together as our team I'll have to go against that.

Whatever suits overall should be OK (as long as it's not the 30th). The 30th suited me as I could then pop off to do one of the Holidaymaker services the following day.

Either way, when will we know the date? I shall have to book it off, regardless.
Unofficial Z1 challenge, 15th September 2006, 1400 start - Result? 3h29m34s. Disgusting! I want a re-run!
Dr Who
Zone 6

Post by Dr Who »

May 16th might be a bit tricky for me and Ping Pon as we have 5 Gorgeous Girls to go & see that evening. :wink: :D
So I am all for the 30th.
Last edited by Dr Who on 05 Mar 2008, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.
dudey
Zone 5

Post by dudey »

Soup Dragon wrote:I vote for 30th May. It is during half term, so hopefully less people at work and the tubes are a bit quieter. Plus that way everyone can take part.
I'm all for enabling more of the under 18's to come along, but is it really quieter on the half term week? It may be my grumpiness, but it seems to me that whatever commuters arn't at work, are replaced by tourist groups who block up passageways in large groups.

Saying all that, that is nice and late for us Uni students who tend to have exams in May, and i have a feeling the 30th will be just when things have finished for me at least. :D
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Anything but the 16th for me.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
ping pon
Zone 4

Post by ping pon »

30th is the only day that suits me, but its best to go with the majority :mrgreen:
One has lost the game !!!!!
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

The 30th seems to be the way to go now for whomever decides to organise it i be happy to phone up people on the day to ensure they arrive on time and know where we are meeting etc.

i bet i come last as i dont have a route for this.
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

I've got a cracking route planned, using my infamous Archway detour.
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

The idea behind this poll is a good one, but I don't think this is the right way to go about it.

This way, we'll probably end up going with the date which has the most votes, which could be the best date for 60% of people, but a date which 40% of people can't make it to. It would be better to have it on whichever day could attract the most people, even if it's not the best date for so many.

Do these forums have the possibility of multiple choice polls? If we could have a poll that was "Vote for all the dates you could make it on", that'd be a lot better.

By the way, you should stop calling yourself "Finland,s only Tube Challenger" - I hold Finnish nationality and have been in this game a little longer than you, even if I haven't been so active lately ;)
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

I've now added another poll in accordance to Root's wishes:

http://www.tubeforum.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ?f=4&t=925

Please cast your vote there as well!
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)