OFFICIAL ZONE 1 CHALLENGE CUP 2008 RULES

All you need to know and discuss about the 2008 Zone 1 Challenge.
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

1) The goal of the competition is to visit all 64 Zone 1 London Underground stations in as short time as possible.

2) Visiting a station is defined as arriving at, departing from or passing through the station on a LU train. It's allowed to leave the Underground system and move between stations, but then only by foot or public transportation.

3) In this competition we trust the participants and only require the most basic evidence of their achievement - mainly a reasonable account of the route taken.

4) Participants may compete individually ("one person team") or, preferrably, in teams of 2-4 people.

5) A maximum time of 4 hours is allowed for completetion. Participants not completing the 64 stations in 4 hours will be ranked according to numer of visited stations (tie breaking for podium places will be the split times).

6) A random start station will be drawn on the day. Possible stations are those nominated by one or more teams. Each team may nominate up to two stations. Any Zone 1 LU station except Vauxhall, St. James's Park, Sloane Square and Westminster (since these have been used over the previous years) may be nominated.

7) When the organisers set off the teams, each must depart from the start station by LU train. They can freely select the first train for their intended first interchange. They MAY NOT wait for a second train to the same station following the same route. (See the comment section for more details).

8) Participants are obliged to behave in a civilised manner and not unnecessarily disturb the general public.

9) Registration for the competition is done through PM to me (hwolge). A few days before the competition a gathering point will be sent to all registered parties.

COMMENTS ON THE RULES
1a) Paddington (H&C) is one station, Paddington (Dis/Cir/Bak) is one station, Edgware Road (Bak) is one station and Edgware road (Cir/Dis/H&C) is one station making a total of 64 Zone 1 stations.
1b) Time is measured from the moment the first train finally closes its door for departure until the doors open at (or after) the last station visit. Each team must measure their own time down to seconds. Note, this is slightly different than the GWR rules. This also means that if you visit your last zone 1 station by departing from that station, then your watch must continue running until you arrive at the next station along the line.
1c) Should multiple teams start and finish on the same trains (at the same station) they are ranked equal, regardless of the exact measured time.

2) If questions on this arise, the organisers will rule by interpreting the GWR rules in this area.

3) This means that train numbers, witness statements etc are not needed. Exact log of each intermediate times is not required either.

4a) The organisers recommend 2-3 people in each team. Teams with more than 4 people may be allowed by the organisers on a case by case basis.
4b) Should a team become split up during the competition it's permissible to continue as separate entities, provided time can be measured properly. It's also allowed to join back together again. However, members from different starting teams cannot formally join during the competition.

5) This rule has been introduced to avoid a, potentially lengthy, sit and wait strategy in the event of line closures.

6a) This rule has been added to lessen the chance of getting another "boring" start station. At least one team will be happy this way. We'd appreciate if the teams DO NOT discuss their intended nominations with other teams on this forum or otherwise.
6b) When the start station has been drawn all participants will go there and regather ASAP. Unless otherwise directed, teams try to rejoin in the ticket hall INSIDE the gates ASAP.

7a) The interpretation for a Baker Street Start is that a team wishing to go east along the Circle, must try to catch the first train, either a Met train or a Circle/H&C train, even though these depart from different platforms.
7b) The interpretation for a High Street Kensington start is that a team wishing to go to Earl´s Court, must try to catch the first train regardless of whether this is a Kensington (Olympia) train or a Wimbledon train, even though these depart from different platforms.
7c) This also means e.g. at a Moorgate start, a team may decide to wait for an east bound H&C (for Aldgate East), a clockwise Circle for travel beyond Aldgate or any SSL train for Liverpool Street. However a team MUST NOT wait for the correct sequence (like H&C-Met-Circle and expect to make the Aldgate run to catch that Circle train...). It's allowed to wait for a Nor NB for King's Cross even though there may be an earlier SSL for King's Cross. Also, any type of restarts, for whatever reasons, are not allowed.

8) This means that care should be taken when overtaking people in passageways. It also means that doors must not be held for any extensive time period. However, controlled running is of course allowed.

9a) The reason to keep the location secret is to keep some control over the size of the event and the participants.
9b) The gathering will take place at a central London location at 12 noon.
9c) It's permissible, though not preferred, to turn up on the day without prior registration (provided someone tells you where to turn up).
Last edited by hwolge on 22 Apr 2008, 20:30, edited 6 times in total.
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
jamesthegill
All Zones

Re: OFFICIAL ZONE 1 CHALLENGE 2008 RULES

Post by jamesthegill »

hwolge wrote:
8) Participants are obliged to ...not disturb the general public.
That's me screwed then.

How many people can one register in one PM? I have a few friends who aren't on here who are coming, plus one who is but won't remember to check this place between now and then.
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

*Any* number of people could be registered in a single PM. It's good if they're structured in tentative teams, preferrably with a cell phone contact number (for the day). Communications before the day will be over forum PMs.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Well I'm happy to send you a registration PM, but I don't know who I'll be teaming up with yet. Possibly someone not on this forum. I like the idea of nominating stations, I hope it works.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Root wrote:Well I'm happy to send you a registration PM, but I don't know who I'll be teaming up with yet. Possibly someone not on this forum. I like the idea of nominating stations, I hope it works.
I am not sure about nominating stations, surely all 60 that haven't been used before should be in the hat........ This will lessen the chance of a difficult station being drawn as surely particpants will nominate stations where they have a good route planned from.......
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Going Underground wrote:I am not sure about nominating stations, surely all 60 that haven't been used before should be in the hat........ This will lessen the chance of a difficult station being drawn as surely particpants will nominate stations where they have a good route planned from.......
Well, obviously some will like the idea, some won't. We're using the organisers prerogative to dictate here.

Our sentiment was that in 2006 when Sloane Square was drawn, people were annoyed that it was so similar to St. James's Park. Last year when Westminster was drawn, we got the impression that more or less everyone felt this was an unlucky draw...
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Once again, before anyone gets a chance to complain too much, I'm sure Hakan put a lot of thought into the rules to try to make it fair and to please everyone.

What does it matter what the rules are? Anyone would have thought this was a serious sport or something ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

When do we put our votes for starting stations in? On the day will each team write down which 2 starting stations they want and then put that into a hat and the station will be drawn (supposedly there is a possiblity some stations will be picked twice and then have more chance of being picked out of the hat) or do we submit or votes for the starting station before the event?
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Thanks HÃ¥kan for that hopefully comprehensive list. I have a couple of further comments that might clear queries up:

1b) This means that if you visit your last zone 1 station by departing from that station, then your watch must continue running until you arrive at the next station along the line. (This has actually happened: last time my last intended station was Earls Court. But I ran there from High Street Kensington, so I took the first train going anywhere, and thus ended up stopping the watch at West Kensington.)

7a,b) It might be quite difficult to carry this rule out. There's bound to be at least one team who don't manage to do this, and what we don't want is a huge crowd of people rushing between the two platforms when a signal goes green.

7a) Also someone wanting to go from Baker Street to Tower Hill clockwise must surely be allowed to wait for the first Circle.

2) This means that you may not use pogo sticks or skateboards, so if you bring anything like that then you'll need to carry them around rather than using them.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

I personally think rule 6 is an excellent idea. At least this way we can avoid a boring starting station. Unless all the teams put Pimlico down as their chosen start point.
One day I shall return!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

In which case no one can complain can they?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

joy54 wrote:When do we put our votes for starting stations in? On the day will each team write down which 2 starting stations they want and then put that into a hat and the station will be drawn (supposedly there is a possiblity some stations will be picked twice and then have more chance of being picked out of the hat) or do we submit or votes for the starting station before the event?
Yes, on the day, probably on your registration form, you'll put down UP TO two station names that you nominate. We, the organisers, will make sure each nominated station will go into the hat ONCE, regardless of how times it's been nominated.
Starkey7 wrote:Thanks HÃ¥kan for that hopefully comprehensive list. I have a couple of further comments that might clear queries up:

1b) This means that if you visit your last zone 1 station by departing from that station, then your watch must continue running until you arrive at the next station along the line. (This has actually happened: last time my last intended station was Earls Court. But I ran there from High Street Kensington, so I took the first train going anywhere, and thus ended up stopping the watch at West Kensington.)

7a,b) It might be quite difficult to carry this rule out. There's bound to be at least one team who don't manage to do this, and what we don't want is a huge crowd of people rushing between the two platforms when a signal goes green.

7a) Also someone wanting to go from Baker Street to Tower Hill clockwise must surely be allowed to wait for the first Circle.

2) This means that you may not use pogo sticks or skateboards, so if you bring anything like that then you'll need to carry them around rather than using them.
1b) Added to my comments above - tx.
7a,b) Please note the word try. For Baker Street you'll check the screens, if there is a Met Aldgate departure within 1-2 minutes, that's the one, otherwise you can check the Cirlce/H&C platform - should work fine most of the time. At HSK it's proably easier because the Ken(O) shuttle typically runs on time according to time table. I believe - correct me if I'm wrong - that there is an indicator saying where the first train for EC will leave, isn't there? BTW there is a similar thing if you want to start WB from Edgware Road (Circle/Dis/H&C)... Anyway I'm sure we won't have any real problem with these starts and would of course only consider a disqualification if there was an obvious decision to miss a certain train to gain an advantage - extremely unlikely.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

tubeguru wrote:Once again, before anyone gets a chance to complain too much, I'm sure Hakan put a lot of thought into the rules to try to make it fair and to please everyone.

What does it matter what the rules are? Anyone would have thought this was a serious sport or something ...
Have you seen the debate about the rules on the photo quizzes..... Shows how serious some people view things... :wink:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Going Underground wrote: Have you seen the debate about the rules on the photo quizzes..... Shows how serious some people view things... :wink:
Big difference is that there is noone in charge of the photo quizzes... 8)
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

Whereas here, you're in charge...Mr Boss :)
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22