Nice-looking station! Where is it?

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
RobbieM
All Zones

Stations NOP - a hint

Post by RobbieM »

A bit sooner than usual, but I think now is the time to give a hint for these stations. (And a surprisingly sensible one for me…)

The hint in question is for station P. Have a look towards the top right hand side of the photo, and you will see something small that looks like a white triangle.

Could this triangle be part of something bigger? If so, might it help point you to the right area of the country?
trains 500
Zone 4

Re: Station Q

Post by trains 500 »

I suspect this will prove to be slightly easier than RobbieM's previous few challenges. Image very poor as its taken about 7 years ago on an ipad with a poor camera.
Here we go, Good Luck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXD8P4ANGyo
Lner station assist (dispatcher)

YT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x7lo4OqFpy
Quizzes for Tube Nerds
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

trains 500 wrote: 22 May 2021, 12:05 I suspect this will prove to be slightly easier than RobbieM's previous few challenges. Image very poor as its taken about 7 years ago on an ipad with a poor camera.
Well, I'm not sure it's that easy due to the picture quality, but I'm going to submit a guestimate. I'm quite prepared for it to be wrong.

P.S. Stations NO&P have gone well, so last chance for answers on those. I'll reveal all tomorrow afternoon.
trains 500
Zone 4

Re: Nice-looking station! Where is it?

Post by trains 500 »

Quality not helped because I enlarged it.

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

trains 500 wrote: 22 May 2021, 12:05 I suspect this will prove to be slightly easier than RobbieM's previous few challenges. Image very poor as its taken about 7 years ago on an ipad with a poor camera.
I would argue that it's essentially impossible to know where that is without guessing.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

tubeguru wrote: 22 May 2021, 14:24 I would argue that it's essentially impossible to know where that is without guessing.
Fortunately, my guess has now been confirmed as correct! :D
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

It must have at least been an educated guess. To be fair when you look at the infrastructure it can really only be 2 possible stations giving the rolling stock seen.

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
RobbieM
All Zones

Stations N/O/P - answered

Post by RobbieM »

Righto – thanks for entries on Station N. And O. And P. I’m sure you all quickly recognised the platform door with added traffic cone. It could only be Trowbridge, from a photo I took in 2006.

And you did pretty well on the boni too! Head one way out of Trowbridge (up or down, depending on which way you think you’re travelling at the time…), and you’ll hit Melksham, otherwise known as ‘Station O’. And head either down or up (or both) the other way, and you come to Station P, which is Westbury. (These two photos I took in 2015, for your interest, [or boredom…])

Well done to Steevooo, TubeGuru, trains500 and Michael Churchill – all getting these stations correct (with only one ‘try-again’ request needed).

The clue I’d deliberately left in was in Station P – it was the head of the Westbury White Horse. Though it seems that 3 out of 4 actually identified Melksham first. After I’d given the hint, Michael recognised the horse’s head, and answers came flooding in.

I was surprised that TubeGuru wasn’t first with the answers, but it seems he was too busy driving through these three stations at the time to take part in my little competition. 😊 Next time you're diverted this way Neil, keep a look out for that little door – and see if you can find out what became of the cone….

Brill. I think my next contribution is ‘Station R’ – coming soon….
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Stations N/O/P - answered

Post by tubeguru »

RobbieM wrote: 23 May 2021, 13:32I was surprised that TubeGuru wasn’t first with the answers, but it seems he was too busy driving through these three stations at the time to take part in my little competition. 😊 Next time you're diverted this way Neil, keep a look out for that little door – and see if you can find out what became of the cone….
That door isn't there any more. I checked out some modern photos of the station. Maybe the whole thing was replaced with the glass.

And yes, I was driving a train through all three of these stations (in both directions) when other people were submitting their answers ...

Member of sweet FA
RobbieM
All Zones

Station 'R'

Post by RobbieM »

Here we go then, Station R. Possibly a bit tricker than the last one? Anyway, it’s a popular destination for Mr and Mrs Smudgeface, it seems.

• Name Station R.

A short walk from this station, you'll find an area the public is free to visit. However, there is a warning that if you do so without wearing the correct personal protective equipment, the consequences could prove fatal.

• Bonus Question: Quote the warning I’m referring to above. (The quote should be between 10 and 20 words in length.)

PM Answers as usual. Hints to follow later. Have fun! :D
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

what is so significant about the cone from station N?? and who on earth are mr and mrs smudgeface??

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

trains 500 wrote: 23 May 2021, 21:37 what is so significant about the cone from station N??
I am just concerned that after all these years, the ice cream may have melted.
trains 500 wrote: 23 May 2021, 21:37 who on earth are mr and mrs smudgeface??
I wondered that too. Looking at the photo, it seems they may have just visited the area in the bonus question without the correct PPE, but escaped with only minor disfigurement... :D
RobbieM
All Zones

Station R - progress report

Post by RobbieM »

Well, this has been a bit slower than the last few, but I've had a couple of correct answers so far, and a correct bonus too. I'll give the hint in a few days' time, but just to say, the bonus is another one of those 'think outside of the box' ones. Typical...

And a bit of advance notice: Teacher is due to take his summer holiday soon, and will be away for a few weeks. But he won't leave you in the lurch, there'll be plenty of homework to keep you busy.... :D
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I'm convinced that station R is one of two stations. However, I'm unable to deduce it from the photo, which is annoying me.

So get on with it - I'm waiting for the clue!

Member of sweet FA
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

type your 2 guesses on google mages it becomes preetty apparant which station it is. :wink:

Quizzes for Tube Nerds