Nice-looking station! Where is it?

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
RobbieM
All Zones

Stations G&H - last chance

Post by RobbieM »

tubeguru wrote: 05 Apr 2021, 14:04 Should we have had an answer to this yesterday?
I didn't actually put a date on it, though I know Sunday has often been 'changeover' day. Though yesterday was far too busy and chaotic at work for me to even think about it.

I will aim to give the answers and set a new challenge on Wednesday evening. (Next time I'm in the 'staff room', where my paperwork is...)

So last chance for entries! :D
RobbieM
All Zones

Stations G&H - Answered

Post by RobbieM »

Okay, here you are then. Stations G and H answered. Or shall I do stations H and G instead? For some reason, everyone seems to have done H first, though I don’t know why. G was so simple, after all!

Okay – let’s do station ‘H’ first then. The hint was ‘Shiny paintwork’. That’s my cryptic brain again, I’m afraid. In crosswords, ‘work’ often represents the letters ‘OP’ – as in an abbreviation for ‘operation’. And shiny paint? It’s ‘gloss’, of course. So ‘shiny paintwork’ can be translated as Glossop!

A number of stations can be found at 129⅓ miles from Glossop, as Michael Churchill told me. They are Lockerbie, Stevenage, Acklington and… oh, there’s one more: the other part of the hint is “Have we seen this before?”

Most of us probably have seen it before; it was the station that kicked this all off (in another thread). As I originally said, ‘thinking laterally when looking at the picture of Flickr may help’. With laterally meaning sideways, if you clicked on the left/right arrows on Flickr, you’d’ve eventually come to the first station I set. In fact, it was the same photo heavily zoomed in! Yes, it’s our old friend Rhymney! You see, I was disappointed that Rhymney didn’t have its own letter, and I didn’t want it to miss out. But now it does – ‘G’! (I may wish to use these letters later, during the exam season…)

Well done to our four keen detectives, who all got both stations correct:

* Michael Churchill
* Steeeevooooooo
* TubeGuru
* trains 500

Incidentally, thanks to Michael again for saying that if you got Rhymney first, and wanted stations at 129⅓ miles, they are: Hampton Court, Kearsley, Hillside, New Lane, Teddington, Dinting, Bookham, Elstree & Borehamwood, Wembley Central & Oxshott.

For your interest, Dinting is very close to Glossop. After I took the photo, I had to make sure I got on the right train. You see, whereas Geoff and Vicky did all the stations, I’m attempting to do all the routes. (Those with scheduled passenger services, that is). That can be a bit more complicated, as I had to get a train that completed the Dinting triangle. And there are very few that do it!

New station coming up soon! Probably not as easy, but we’ll see…
Last edited by RobbieM on 07 Apr 2021, 20:45, edited 2 times in total.
trains 500
Zone 4

Re: Nice-looking station! Where is it?

Post by trains 500 »

the Hatfield triangle is possibly my least favorite part of the NR network, I wont go into why.
Lner station assist (dispatcher)

YT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x7lo4OqFpy
Quizzes for Tube Nerds
RobbieM
All Zones

Stations G&H - Answered

Post by RobbieM »

trains 500 wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 19:45 the Hatfield triangle is possibly my least favorite part of the NR network, I wont go into why.
Interesting - you've whetted our appetites now! :D
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

trains 500 wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 19:45 the Hatfield triangle is possibly my least favorite part of the NR network, I wont go into why.
You prefer squares?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
RobbieM
All Zones

Station 'I' has arrived!

Post by RobbieM »

Righto. Here it is then. Station I. Maybe it’s a bit trickier than those which have come before?

To be honest, if I didn’t know where it is, I’m wondering how I’d personally begin trying to narrow it down. But that’s not my problem. Go on, class – surprise me! 😊
  • Bonus: An hour or two after I took this photo, I boarded the train here, travelled just one stop down the line, then got off at the next station. I didn’t walk onto hot tarmac (and I was also correctly attired, I’ll have you know…). However, I did walk around half a mile to visit a very well-known tourist attraction. What was that attraction? (You’ll have to work out which direction my train went from the station.)
PM your answers, and have fun. I’ll give a hint later on, as usual. Traditionally, almost everyone has submitted their answers in before I give the hint, but might it be different in this case?

We’ll see! 😊
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Easy. Answers submitted.

Member of sweet FA
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

[...3 stray posts... ignore them... see below.]
Last edited by RobbieM on 08 Apr 2021, 13:51, edited 2 times in total.
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

Last edited by RobbieM on 08 Apr 2021, 13:51, edited 2 times in total.
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

Last edited by RobbieM on 08 Apr 2021, 13:52, edited 2 times in total.
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

tubeguru wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 10:16 Easy. Answers submitted.
Far too easy, it seems! (Maybe I was using reverse psychology in my earlier post?) I have had two correct answers so far (plus two correct boni [if that's the plural of 'bonus']...). But also interesting that both of you got the answer by somewhat different methods.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

RobbieM wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 13:47
tubeguru wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 10:16 Easy. Answers submitted.
Far too easy, it seems! (Maybe I was using reverse psychology in my earlier post?) I have had two correct answers so far (plus two correct boni [if that's the plural of 'bonus']...). But also interesting that both of you got the answer by somewhat different methods.
I had no idea which station it could be at first, but once I had worked out which part of the country we were in (the clue's in the picture), an idea came to me as to which station it might be. A quick visit to a non-railway-related website, and I had the answer confirmed to me.

From there, the bonus is obvious.

Member of sweet FA
trains 500
Zone 4

Re: station J

Post by trains 500 »

Ill start off with a hint: its not New York

Good luck!!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu9dqA44dDM

And I have a smaller plethera of submissions for this station than others, detentions soon for incompleted assessments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO1qybECiGs (its a pretty simple/easy one)
Lner station assist (dispatcher)

YT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x7lo4OqFpy
Quizzes for Tube Nerds
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

trains 500 wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 11:15 Ill start off with a hint: its not New York

And I have a smaller plethera of submissions for this station than others, detentions soon for incompleted assessments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO1qybECiGs (its a pretty simple/easy one)
Oooh! I'd recognise that parking sign anywhere! Answer submitted.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

RobbieM wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 11:58
trains 500 wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 11:15 Ill start off with a hint: its not New York

Oooh! I'd recognise that parking sign anywhere! Answer submitted.
I didn't recognise the station from the video, but there is a clue in there that led me to finding it via Google :)

Member of sweet FA