Board Game

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
RJSRdg
All Zones

Board Game

Post by RJSRdg »

I've been doing some testing of a board game idea I had a little while ago. Essentially I have marked a 'London Connections' map with the travel times between adjacent stations, and also included some running routes and bus routes. Each time a player wishes to change lines, they throw a number of dice (depending on the service frequency on the line and move counters round a clock face to show the time elapsed since they started the challenge.

On Saturday I started playing the 'FNC' version of the game, with me taking the parts of six different players in turn! This took a very long time to play (6-7 hours!) and wasn't the most exciting board game I've ever played! It also took quite a lot of concentration for me not to mix the players up! It was interesting trying out several different starting positions and comparing them - I hadn't realised just how awkward an Epping start is...

This evening I've just played it as an R15, again with six 'players'. This was rather more fun, and only took about an hour and a half. There's no reason any of the other Challenges couldn't be played on the same board.

Either way I can see I'm going to have to tweak some of the rules a little and add some extra timings to the board (so far I've just done the 11 lines, plus the C2C line to Upminster, Parts of the Overground, Chiltern, HEx and Tramlink).

Incidentally, the winning 'time' in the FNC game was 15:17!! Andi and Steve needn't worry though, as I wasn't noting the route as I played, so consequently I have absolutely no idea how I did it, other than that it was a Heathrow start and a NW finish!
Last edited by RJSRdg on 01 Feb 2019, 09:19, edited 1 time in total.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: Board Game

Post by Going Underground »

Wow sounds really good Rich :D Keep at it and maybe we can have a meet in London when you are happy with the finished article outside of an R15 or challenge day would be best...
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

RJSRdg wrote: 28 Jan 2019, 23:27 Incidentally, the winning 'time' in the FNC game was 15:17!! Andi needn't worry though, as I wasn't noting the route as I played, so consequently I have absolutely no idea how I did it, other than that it was a Heathrow start and a NW finish!
Why is it only Andi that doesn't need to worry?
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Sorry, corrected!
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!