Postsnap

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Postsnap

Post by GuyBarry »

"Timesnap" didn't work particularly well, but with post number 100000 coming up in the near future, the intriguing idea occurred to me of devising a game based on both the time and the post number. I haven't got any definite rules drawn up yet but maybe we could use this thread to develop them.

The general idea is this: using the hh:mm:ss representation of the time, you try to match as many digits as possible with the corresponding digit in the post number, starting from the right-hand end. So, for instance, if you made post number 101528 at 10:15:28, it'd be a perfect match. You'd get decreasing numbers of points for X0:15:28, XX:15:28, XX:X5:28, XX:XX:28 and XX:XX:X8. Obviously you'd run into problems when the last two digits were in the range 60-99 but you could maybe interpret (say) 101568 as 10:16:08. (We'd also run into problems when we got to 106000, but that's a long way off!)

You'd be allowed to delete posts if you were unsuccessful, but the post counter goes up by one whenever you delete a post, so unless you could get in again within one second you'd have to wait! Also you'd have to take account of any posts made elsewhere in the forum.

Is this feasible or a bit too contrived?
Last edited by GuyBarry on 25 Sep 2016, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Re: Son of Timesnap?

Post by A Challenge »

GuyBarry wrote:Is this feasible or a bit too contrived?
I think that Timesnap was OK, though I probably could get rid of the play link from my signature.

Anyway, yes, I think that will work.
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Re: Postsnap

Post by GuyBarry »

OK, here are the draft rules for the new game, which I've called "Postsnap". As with Timesnap, please examine them for any possible loopholes first. If everyone's happy with them then I plan to start a trial game tomorrow. I think the rules are a bit easier to follow than Timesnap, though the game is probably harder to play!

DRAFT RULES FOR POSTSNAP

Postsnap is a new game involving both post numbers and forum timestamps. As with Timesnap, you will need your forum clock to display seconds. You will also need to check post numbers - the easiest way is to click on the subject header at the top of the post and look at the field in the URL beginning "#p" (e.g. the number of this post is 99817). The object of the game is to match one or more digits between the post number and the timestamp.

Any player can start the game by posting the word "go". The player starting the game must not make the first "snap" post.

To win points, a player must make a post containing the single word "snap" (case is irrelevant and punctuation is ignored). Points are awarded as follows:
  • If the final digit of the timestamp matches the final digit of the post number (e.g. 15:23:07, 99847), you gain 1 point unless a higher score is possible.
  • If the final TWO digits of the timestamp match the final two digits of the post number (e.g. 15:23:47, 99847), you gain 2 points unless a higher score is possible.
  • If the final THREE digits of the timestamp match the final three digits of the post number (e.g. 15:28:47, 99847), you gain 5 points unless a higher score is possible.
  • If the final FOUR digits of the timestamp match the final four digits of the post number (e.g. 16:00:47, 100047), you gain 10 points unless a higher score is possible.
  • If the final FIVE digits of the timestamp match the final five digits of the post number (e.g. 20:00:47, 100047), you gain 20 points unless a higher score is possible.
  • If all SIX digits of the timestamp match all six digits of the post number (e.g. 10:00:47, 100047), you gain the maximum 50 points.
If the final two digits of the post number are in the range 60-99, then add 60 to the seconds field of the timestamp and subtract 1 from the minutes. E.g. post number 99867 at 15:29:07 would be treated as though the time was 15:28:67, scoring 5 points (three digits matched).

After a successful "snap", you must wait for another player to make a successful "snap" before trying again. If you make two "snaps" in a row then you lose 5 points.

After an unsuccessful "snap", you can delete the post with no penalty, but you must not edit it. If an unsuccessful "snap" (edited or not) remains in the thread when the next post is made, the player concerned loses 5 points.

Other points to note:
  • Before post number 100000, the maximum possible score is 5.
  • You cannot win points if your post contains anything other than the single word "snap" (apart from punctuation).
  • Scores, comments, queries etc. can be posted in the thread as long as they are not combined with "snap" posts.
For trial purposes, the winner is the player with the most points when 24 hours have passed after the initial "go" post.

Edited 19:24 25/9/16 to correct error in how to look up post number..
Last edited by GuyBarry on 25 Sep 2016, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

GO
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Oh, have we started already? I was going to wait until tomorrow, but I'll play if you like.

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Snap

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Great! 2 points to me and now it's someone else's turn. (No "play" posts in this game, remember.)

Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

snap?

COYR
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Post number 99826 at 13:58:21, and you didn't delete it. 5-point penalty.

Since I made the last successful "snap", the game will continue when someone other than me does so.

A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

Snap
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

my URL just says 3359, and the home page says 94....

Is it mine that's messed up, or have your computers gone mad?

COYR
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Tube Geek wrote:my URL just says 3359, and the home page says 94....
3359 is the topic number. If you click on the subject header at the top of your post you should get the following:

http://www.tubechallenge.com/forum/view ... 359#p99838

So your post was number 99838. The post counter on the home page only counts undeleted posts, so it's some way behind.

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Snap

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

That's another 5 points to me... so the scores are GB 7, AC 2, TG -5. Trial game ends at 11:34:50 today.

Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Snap?

COYR