DRAFT RULES FOR TIMESNAP
Timesnap is a new game involving forum timestamps, loosely based on the card game "Snap". You will need your forum clock to display seconds. If it doesn't already do so, go to User Control Panel < Board Preferences < Edit global settings < My date format < Custom and edit the time field to "H:i:s". The object of the game is to match one or more of the time fields in the previous player's post.
Any player can start the game by making a post containing the single word "play". To win points, another player must make a post containing the single word "snap". (Case is irrelevant and all punctuation is ignored.) Points are awarded as follows:
- If the seconds field matches that of the "play" post (e.g. 09:34:16, 09:37:16), the player gains 1 point unless a higher score is possible.
- If the seconds field and the last digit of the minutes field both match (e.g. 09:34:16, 09:54:16), the player gains 10 points unless a higher score is possible.
- If the seconds field and the whole minutes field both match (e.g. 09:34:16, 10:34:16), the player gains 60 points.
After an unsuccessful "snap", the player concerned can delete the post and try again if they wish. However, if another player makes a post after an unsuccessful "snap", then the unsuccessful "snapper" loses 10 points. This also applies if the unsuccesful "snapper" forgets to delete the post before trying again. Editing the post to remove the word "snap" will make no difference!
If a successful "snapper" does not make a "play" post within 1 hour, they lose 10 points and any other player can make a "play" post.
Other points to note:
- You cannot "snap" your own post.
- You cannot win points if your post contains anything other than the single word "snap" (other than punctuation marks; case is irrelevant).
- Only a "play" post can be "snapped". Any intervening non-"snap" posts will be disregarded for game purposes.
- Only the player making the last successful "snap" post can make a "play" post before 1 hour has elapsed.
- You cannot make a "play" post until there has been a successful "snap" post. Any additional "play" posts will be disregarded.
- Scores, comments, queries etc. can be posted in the thread as long as they are not combined with "play" or "snap" posts.
Edited at 08:40 17/9/16 to add 1-hour restriction.
Edited at 10:10 18/9/16 to make changes shown in bold.
What do you think, folks? Can it work?