Grumbleweed II Scores

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Re: Grumbleweed II Scores

Post by GuyBarry »

Tube Geek wrote: I didn't know the scores at that point!
Might be a good idea to keep your own record then. It could be close!
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

GuyBarry wrote:
Tube Geek wrote: I didn't know the scores at that point!
Might be a good idea to keep your own record then. It could will be close!
:wink:
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Scores at 07:27 29/4/16:

Tube Geek 467
GuyBarry 407
A Challenge 74
jamesthegill -70

(I omitted Tube Geek's 1-point claim at 20:55 in my informal update last night.)

Very interesting tactical situation here! Tube Geek still has the advantage, but it could go either way...

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

The end! Should we start in the same thread or not, and what are the rules?
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

I'll start a new thread for the next game but I'd like a short break first. It'd be nice to get some feedback on the game - what did and didn't you like about it? Are there any rules that need amending, or new rules that should be brought in? Is 500 about right for the finishing-line, or should the game be shorter or longer?

Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Definitely think there should be Downtime (00:00-06:00?), during which no one can post. Also, because of this, of a player claims X points, there must be at least that many minutes until Downtime. And maybe first to 400?

COYR
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Tube Geek wrote:Definitely think there should be Downtime (00:00-06:00?), during which no one can post.
I agree. I was observing it informally for the later part of the game and I think both of you were as well.
Also, because of this, of a player claims X points, there must be at least that many minutes until Downtime.
That was one of the options. The other option was to treat the period 00:00-06:00 as though it doesn't exist, so that if you claim 20 points at 23:50 then the time expires at 06:10. I don't mind doing it either way - I got the impression that both you and A Challenge preferred the second way.
And maybe first to 400?
Is that because you got there first? :wink:

500 is a bit long, I agree. There were quite a few 100-point claims in the early part of the game and I get the feeling that if we played again they wouldn't happen so often. Maybe 400 or even 300 would be better.

The other thing I wanted to change was the penalty for editing a post - it occurred to me that someone might try to edit an unsuccessful claim so that it showed fewer points. The edit would show up, but under the current rules the player could still benefit (e.g. edit unsuccessful 50-point claim to "1 point", lose 2 points instead of 50). A penalty of 100 points plus the amount claimed in the post would get round that problem.

Also I'll clarify the rules for calculating the time difference (difference between timestamps, as in Tumbleweed).

Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Oh yes, I forgot the other way of treating Downtime!

And it wasn't because I got to 400 first, honest! :wink: If we're doing first to a lower score, maybe make the maximum claim lower like 50 or 75

COYR
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Tube Geek wrote:If we're doing first to a lower score, maybe make the maximum claim lower like 50 or 75
OK, so why don't we halve everything, so that the maximum claim is 50 and the winning-post is 250? Now that people are more used to the game we're not seeing many claims over 50 points anyway.

Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

GuyBarry wrote:
Tube Geek wrote:If we're doing first to a lower score, maybe make the maximum claim lower like 50 or 75
OK, so why don't we halve everything, so that the maximum claim is 50 and the winning-post is 250? Now that people are more used to the game we're not seeing many claims over 50 points anyway.

Yep, that's fine by me!*

*I was first to 250, too

COYR
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

OK, I'll draw up some revised rules and present them for approval. One other change I'd like to make - I think there should be a rule that the person starting the game can't make the first claim, otherwise they could sneakily start a thread and claim 50 points before anyone else realized there was a game going on. Agreed?

Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Agreed. Hopefully we'll get some more players this time!

COYR
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

I hope so too! Wonder if we can entice anyone away from Tumbleweed? :evil:

Here are the revised rules:

(1) Subject to the rules below, any player can post a claim for points at any time, in the form "X point(s)" where X is any positive integer from 1 to 50. The player starting the thread may not make the first claim.
(2) If the time difference between a claim for X points and the next post in the thread is X minutes or more, the player gains X points. If the time difference is less than X minutes, the player loses X points. All posts in the thread are deemed to "stop the clock". Subject to rule (7), time differences are calculated according to the timestamp (in hours and minutes) on the post, not the actual time elapsed.
(3) No player may make two successive claims for points without another valid claim between them. Consecutive posts by the same player are allowed as long as they are not both claims.
(4) There is no score or penalty for invalid claims.
(5) Comments and queries relevant to the game may be posted in the thread. They stop the clock like all other posts. They may be included in claim posts as long as they are clearly distinguished from the claim. If a player wishes to stop the clock without making a claim or making a comment, he/she can simply post "spoiler" or something similar.
(6) Editing of claims is forbidden. Any player found to have edited a claim will forfeit 50 points plus the number of points that appear in the claim (if any), irrespective of the time of the next post.
(7) The period of time from 00:00 to 05:59 inclusive is regarded as "downtime" and all claims within this period are regarded as invalid. If the expiry time of a claim would otherwise fall within this period, then 6 hours is added to the expiry time. E.g. a claim of 20 points made at 23:50 is deemed to expire at 06:10 the next day, not 00:10.
(8) The winner is the first player to 250 points. The winning-post is deemed to have been passed as soon as the allotted time is reached. E.g. if a player is on 240 points and claims 10 points, then that player is deemed to have won as soon as 10 minutes have passed without another post.

Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

GuyBarry wrote:Wonder if we can entice anyone from Tumbleweed :evil:
Or, like me, get people to play both!

COYR
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

I think the reason why Tumbleweed appeals to some people is that you only need to log in occasionally - you can play it even if you're not a frequent poster. With this game you really need to be logged in frequently, or it just doesn't work. I'm already wondering whether I'm at a disadvantage because I don't have a smartphone! (Didn't stop me from winning the last game though.)