A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Re: Rare Entries XVI - Train Stations

Post by A Challenge »

A Challenge wrote:
tubeguru wrote:You are both wrong.

https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/about-tfl/ ... overground

This particular sentence stands out:

"Network Rail manages and maintains most of the track and signals, as London Overground is part of the National Rail network."
I take it as being so only from November (2016):
Transport for London wrote:In April 2016 we announced that Arriva will begin to manage the network's stations and trains on a day-to-day basis from November 2016. Arriva replaces London Overground Rail Operations Ltd which was appointed as operator in 2007.

© TfL
But before this, it is TfL! Also on the LRTSM it is a solid line, which is for TfL only, in oppose to the white boxes in the NR lines!
tubeguru wrote:Your arguments would never stand up in court.
I have a chance in this court but as he isn't appointed to the Queen's Counsel... (for those who aren't political know-it-alls)
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
jamesthegill
All Zones

Re: Rare Enteries XVI - Train Stations

Post by jamesthegill »

jamesthegill wrote:every new quiz setter has to go through the Tube Forum Baptism of Pedantic Fire eventually!
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

jamesthegill wrote:
jamesthegill wrote:every new quiz setter has to go through the Tube Forum Baptism of Pedantic Fire eventually!
Did you mean to just quote yourself there, or was something meant to be after it?
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Tube Geek wrote:
jamesthegill wrote:
Did you mean to just quote yourself there, or was something meant to be after it?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

Tube Geek wrote:
jamesthegill wrote:
I did - I was proving my point about the pedantry inherent with any quiz on here.
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

tubeguru wrote: "Network Rail manages and maintains most of the track and signals, as London Overground is part of the National Rail network."
What about the East London line though? That was never part of National Rail - as far as I know, TfL and its predecessors have always managed the track and signals there.
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_ ... /maps.aspx

This page from the National Rail website notes the following for the London's Rail & Tube services map:
London's Rail & Tube services map (which replaces the former London Connections map) shows all National Rail routes and stations within the Greater London area, together with London Underground, Docklands Light Railway and London Tramlink services and stations.
Thereby showing that of the services in London, only the London Underground, Docklands Light Railway and London Tramlink are non-National Rail services.

Indeed, the London & the South East Map by Network Rail located here: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/css/Netwo ... _SEmap.pdf clearly show that the London Overground routes are part of the National Rail network.

QED m'lord.
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

GuyBarry wrote:
tubeguru wrote: "Network Rail manages and maintains most of the track and signals, as London Overground is part of the National Rail network."
What about the East London line though? That was never part of National Rail - as far as I know, TfL and its predecessors have always managed the track and signals there.
Don't get confused between Network Rail and National Rail! A National Rail service can run over tracks/signals not managed by Network Rail.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Steeevooo wrote:
GuyBarry wrote:
Don't get confused between Network Rail and National Rail! A National Rail service can run over tracks/signals not managed by Network Rail.
The other example is Chiltern from Harrow to Amersham.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Steeevooo wrote: Don't get confused between Network Rail and National Rail! A National Rail service can run over tracks/signals not managed by Network Rail.
Ah, I see - at least I think I do. "National Rail" is just a brand name rather than an actual organization, right?
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

A Challenge wrote:[
And, you could enter my RE XVII, which will be up by the end of the week.
Will it? :wink:
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR