Dastardly difficult trivia quiz

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
RJSRdg
All Zones

Re: Dastardly difficult trivia quiz

Post by RJSRdg »

Bad posture at work's never a good thing... ;-)
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

After the 2019 general election, the four MPs representing London are Karen Vecchio, Peter Fragiskatos, Kate Young and Lindsay Mathyssen (succeeding her mother). Explain.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

michael_churchill wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 11:41 After the 2019 general election, the four MPs representing London are Karen Vecchio, Peter Fragiskatos, Kate Young and Lindsay Mathyssen (succeeding her mother). Explain.
The election was for the London region, Ontario, Canada.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Which UK Parliamentary constituency has been held by four different members from four different parties over the last 40 years - one of whom also served as an independent?
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
DavidC
Zone 6

Post by DavidC »

Without checking, I'll guess at either a seat held by one of the Gang of Four, or Brighton Pavilion.
First to 100000 in the 2015+ Tumbleweed contest. Winner of a few rounds of a diverse range of quizzes/games. Some decent times in alternative challenges as a fiftysomething who merely walks briskly. Briefly led All The Actons.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Not Brighton Pavilion - that's been Conservative, Labour and Green, but nothing else.

Which member of the "Gang of Four" did you have in mind?

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I don't think it's one of the Gang of Four, as most of their seats have been abolished.

Are we, for the purposes of this question, counting the Liberals, SDP, and Lid Dems as separate parties, or would a constituency previously held by the SDP or Liberals and since held by the LDs count as one party?

More likely for the seat to be in Wales, Scotland, Essex (one of the seats held by a defector to UKIP). Do the Independent Group For Change count?

I did wonder about Bethnal Green and Bow but apart from George Galloway's brief tenure, it's always been a Labour seat.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

RJSRdg wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 22:59 Are we, for the purposes of this question, counting the Liberals, SDP, and Lib Dems as separate parties
Yes.
Do the Independent Group For Change count?
Yes.

DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

Does Portsmouth South count?

Within the last 40 years it has had 5 different individuals as MP. 3 were Conservatives, 1 Labour (the current MP) and the fifth was Mike Hancock who was first elected for the SDP, then later elected as a LibDem and who stood as an independent after resigning from the LibDems amid indecent assault allegations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portsmout ... Parliament
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Hanc ... olitician)
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
DavidC
Zone 6

Post by DavidC »

"Which member of the "Gang of Four" did you have in mind?"

Shirley Williams at Crosby or David Owen in Plymouth were my main thoughts.

Would you class The Speaker as an independent for the purposes of this question?
First to 100000 in the 2015+ Tumbleweed contest. Winner of a few rounds of a diverse range of quizzes/games. Some decent times in alternative challenges as a fiftysomething who merely walks briskly. Briefly led All The Actons.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

DrainBrain wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 18:10 Does Portsmouth South count?

Within the last 40 years it has had 5 different individuals as MP. 3 were Conservatives, 1 Labour (the current MP) and the fifth was Mike Hancock who was first elected for the SDP, then later elected as a LibDem and who stood as an independent after resigning from the LibDems amid indecent assault allegations.
Well it wasn't what I had in mind! I meant "four MPs, each of whom was elected for a different party". However I suppose you can read the question in such a way as to allow Portsmouth South, so give yourself half a point :)
DavidC wrote:Shirley Williams at Crosby or David Owen in Plymouth were my main thoughts.
Both Crosby and Plymouth Devonport were abolished in 2010, so not eligible.
Would you class The Speaker as an independent for the purposes of this question?
If you like, though I don't think it makes any difference.

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Any more guesses? Here's a HUGE clue: Two of the parties in question no longer exist, and one other is not currently represented in the House of Commons.

michael_churchill
Zone 6

I've found North Down in Northern Ireland. James Kilfedder, elected as an independent in 1979, founded the Ulster Popular Unionist Party (UPUP, no longer exists) in 1980, Robert McCartney (UK Unionist Party, no longer exists) was elected in 1995, Sylvia Hermon (Ulster Unionist Party, UUP, no current MPs) was elected in 2001 and re-elected as an independent in 2010, and Stephen Farry (Alliance) was elected last year.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

And that's the correct answer! Well done.

(I've been thinking of turning North Down into a quiz question for ages, and last month's surprise victory for the Alliance Party provided the perfect opportunity. All the stuff about the SDP was a complete red herring!)

michael_churchill
Zone 6

A transport question, inspired by yesterday's release of station usage data...
Among National Rail stations that had at least 100,000 entries/exits in 2018/19, what is superlative about Blackrod, near Bolton?