Dastardly difficult trivia quiz

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Re: Dastardly difficult trivia quiz

Post by michael_churchill »

What connects the following TV characters?
  • Mike Hannigan in 'Friends', played by Paul Rudd (eventually married Phoebe)
  • Ted Mosby in 'How I Met Your Mother', played by Josh Radnor
  • Judith Harper in 'Two And A Half Men', played by Marin Hinkle (Alan's ex-wife and Jake's mother)
  • Nathan Petrelli in 'Heroes', played by Adrian Pasdar
michael_churchill
Zone 6

As today should have seen the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games...

Who was the first British Olympian to win a gold medal and NOT have the national anthem played during the medal ceremony?
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Was it someone who was awarded the medal retrospectively, eg because of doping violations?
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
michael_churchill
Zone 6

greatkingrat wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 23:22 Was it someone who was awarded the medal retrospectively, eg because of doping violations?
I must admit that I hadn't thought of that!
I don't think any such situation occurred before what I had in mind.
In this case, the athlete in question won their event and had a medal ceremony but, because of particular circumstances, "God Save The Queen" was not played.
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

Not that this gets me particularly close to the answer, but did they play the wrong thing, as I know they have before (though I'm not aware of an incident involving Team GB)?
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
michael_churchill
Zone 6

A Challenge wrote: 27 Jul 2020, 17:00 Not that this gets me particularly close to the answer, but did they play the wrong thing, as I know they have before (though I'm not aware of an incident involving Team GB)?
No, it was not a mistake. This happened every time GB won at those games. I'm looking for the first of five such occasions. That should narrow it down.
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

(With the help of Michael's clues.)

This was at the 1980 Summer Olympics in Moscow. Various countries boycotted the Games and British sports federations were left to choose whether or not to take part. The Olympic anthem was played for British athletes winning gold. Our first gold medal winner was Duncan Goodhew (Swimming) and Britain later won four Athletics golds.

I think the earlier question about TV characters is still open.
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
michael_churchill
Zone 6

DrainBrain wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 11:07 (With the help of Michael's clues.)

This was at the 1980 Summer Olympics in Moscow. Various countries boycotted the Games and British sports federations were left to choose whether or not to take part. The Olympic anthem was played for British athletes winning gold. Our first gold medal winner was Duncan Goodhew (Swimming) and Britain later won four Athletics golds.

I think the earlier question about TV characters is still open.
Spot on!
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

DrainBrain wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 11:07 (With the help of Michael's clues.)

This question reminds me of the time Tazio Nuvolari won a German Grand Prix in the 1930s, in an unfancied Alfa Romeo, when the expectation was that one of the German drivers in their Mercedes and Auto Unions would win. It then transpired that the band who were due to play the anthems had only learnt to play the German one! Tazio produced a recording of the Italian anthem he'd brought with him "just in case"....
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
michael_churchill
Zone 6

What is (very specifically) common about the roles played by Alice Eve in the movie "She's Out Of My League" and by Benedict Cumberbatch in the TV series "Sherlock"?
michael_churchill
Zone 6

michael_churchill wrote: 08 Jun 2020, 09:47 What connects the following TV characters?
  • Mike Hannigan in 'Friends', played by Paul Rudd (eventually married Phoebe)
  • Ted Mosby in 'How I Met Your Mother', played by Josh Radnor
  • Judith Harper in 'Two And A Half Men', played by Marin Hinkle (Alan's ex-wife and Jake's mother)
  • Nathan Petrelli in 'Heroes', played by Adrian Pasdar
michael_churchill wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 09:52 What is (very specifically) common about the roles played by Alice Eve in the movie "She's Out Of My League" and by Benedict Cumberbatch in the TV series "Sherlock"?
No responses on either of these, so I'll give you the answers. They're sort of related as they both concern who plays the mother.

For the first question, those character's mothers were all played by the same actress, Cristine Rose (sometimes credited as Christine). The biggest role was Angela Petrelli in 'Heroes', which you may be re-watching on BBC2! But, she also played the mother of the other three characters as well!

For the second question, those character's parents were played by the actor's real-life parents. In "She's Out Of My League", the parents of Alice Eve's character, Molly, were played by Trevor Eve (Shoestring / Waking The Dead) and Sharon Maughan (Holby City / Gold Blend coffee adverts). In "Sherlock", Mr. and Mrs. Holmes, parents of Sherlock, Mycroft (and Eurus) are played by Benedict Cumberbatch's parents, Timothy Carlton and Wanda Ventham.
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Post by EastActionWoman »

Nice questions Michael!

For the first one, I started off thinking that the characters were lawyers who changed profession. But that didn't fit all of them, so then I was stumped.
Not a plus one :wink:
Roads, Streets and Lanes (2020-08-28) 3:46:16
Prague metro (2020-02-18) 2:27:56
All the Actons (2021-11-20) 0:42:34
michael_churchill
Zone 6

For John Lennon's 80th birthday...

What does "Mendips", 251 Menlove Avenue, Liverpool, the childhood home of John Lennon, have in common with Cromford railway station in Derbyshire?
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Some might say that you'd have to live forever to guess the correct answer to this question.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

He's filmed a music video at both?
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000