A Story from DLR and Tramlink

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

A Story from DLR and Tramlink

Post by GuyBarry »

JaNE WADDINGTON was seeKING GEORGE Varley's advice about painting her kitchen. "What colour do you fanCY - PRUSsian blue?"
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
RobbieM
All Zones

Re: A Story from DLR and Tramlink

Post by RobbieM »

"Well," said George, "that would certainly be better than the BLACK WALL that my neighbour painted last week."
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

"On the other hand," said Jane, a keen member of the Women's Institute, "we could try emerald GREEN. W.I. CHose it for their meeting room recently."

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

"Emerald is such a nice shade of green - I've seen an entire house painted like that," said GEORGE. "STREET never looked nicer. Now a LIME HOUSE, that would be ghastly."
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

"You know what I was thinKING? HENRY'S DRIVEn here from HuddersFIELD - WAY out of his usual patch. Perhaps we should let him decide."

RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

“Of course! Yes, let’s ask Henry! Good idea, Mrs wADDINGTON. VILLAGEs around here benefit from your good ideas! You should take a BOW! CHURCHes around here ARE NAturally enriched from their clever members of the Women’s Institute!”

“Well, that’s fine praise indeed!” said Jane, thinking George was perhaps going a little over-the-top. “Just because I’m suggesting how we choose the colour to paint my kitchen wALL! SAINT Stephen’s Church never gave their W.I. members as many compliments as you do!”
Last edited by RobbieM on 14 Sep 2015, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Suddenly, Jane got a phone call from someone she was dreading to hear from.

"Hi Jane, this is BECK. TONight OK with you for junction spotting?"

The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

"Yes, it seems so," said Jane. "What's that noise?"
"It's Hillary singing - she's obsessed with some singer, Dington I think. She won't stop singing and go to BED."
"DINGTON?"
"LA-NE-la-ne-la, I think it's called. Really grates on my nerves."
"Perhaps you should ask her to try something else."

Jane hung up quickly. BECK ENHAM, JUNCTION spotter supreme of Leyburn Avenue, was very highly strung. Being her acquaintance was dangerous - you could not let any barB IRK BECK or she'd be on your back immediately.

Far away in Leyburn Avenue, Beck was arguing with Hillary.
"You could try singing something calming, something suitable for bedtime. Perhaps something classical, like BaCH."
"URCH! STREET music is cool, Mum. Like Na-La-Na-La-Na. I can't sing Bach!"
"Or what about singinG RAVEL?"
HILLary whined. "Mum, I want to sing POP! LA-Ra-la-ra-la, na-la-na-la-na, a-na-da-wa-la-da-da..."
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Jane was in despair. "Oh George, this is awful. I get out of one mesS AND I LAND Straight in another one."
"Who was that on the phone then? Where did you meet her?"
"BECK ENHAM. ROADtrip to Ford in Sussex, organized by the W.I. No idea how she got on it. She seized on me and started going on about how she eats roaST RAT FOR Dinner."
"RoaST RAT?"
"FORD HIGH STREET isn't the sort of place one wants to hear such things. Anyway, I foolishly gave her my phone number and now she wants to take me on one of her ridiculous junction spotting expeditions. She says she's been let down by her brother MITCH."
"AM I hearing things? What's junction spotting?"
"Oh, don't ask. I've noticed HER ON QUAYSides, sitting with her notebook scribbling down street names. No idea what the point is."
"Can't you get out of it?"
"I've put her off too many times. She's getting really CROSS. HARBOURs grudges very easily."

RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

“You say you met her in Ford. Isn’t that quite close to ELMER?”
“SENDs me lots of texts as well as phoning me. Er, yes, Elmer is near Ford, I think. I’m not too familiar with the coast down SOUTH. QUAYsides on the Thames Estuary are the closest I generally get to the sea.”
Just then, there was a loud cLANG. DON PARKed his car outside, and rang the doorbell…
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

"Hello?" said Jane.
"Hi," said Don. "My name's LLOYD PARKins, and I can offer you the neWEST SILVER. TOWN traders will never be able to match my prices."

Needless to say, Don had absconded from HG Transport with the contents of his latest delivery.

"No thanks," said Jane, sensing something suspicious. "I've a full collection of silverware - there's nothing to ADD."
"IS COMBE Road anywhere near here?"
"Yes - you're almost theRE. EVE'S CORNER shop is just up the road - turn right there."
"You're a STAR. LANE on the right then?"
"Yes. Sorry - I've got a pressing engagement."

For once, junction spotting seemed somehow appealing...

RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

Jane jumped in her car and headed EAST. IN DIAlogue with Beck on the phone earlier, she’d hung up before they’d arranged a meeting place. So she just drove towards Leyburn AVENUE. ROADs were a little confusing in that area, but eventually she found her way to Beck’s house. Nervously, she rang the bell…
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

"Hi, Jane," said Beck. "Glad you could make it. I had an entry in my diary - 'MITCH, A.M., JUNCTION spotting', but he stood me up. I've been sCANNING TOWN maps carefully for the last couple of hours."
"So where are we going?"
"Waltham ABBEY. ROAD junctions there are particularly fascinating, I'm told."
"So how does it work?"
"It's really simple," said BECK. " 'T' ON PARK Street. Do you understand what that means?"
"Not really."
"There's a T-junction on Park Street. I started doing this in CENTRAL Exeter. DEVON'S ROAD junctions are a great place to start."

A wholesaLE BAN ON ROAD junctions would be better than any of this, thought Jane, but she didn't dare say anything...

RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

...'I'll change the subject', she thought.
"Oh, look! What's that?" she asked, looking at a photograph on the mantelpiece.
"That's my husband Tom’s rugby team from his schooldays. Tom – tell Jane about your team!”
“Nice to meet you, Jane. Yes, let’s have a look through this photo. What a team we were! Now, that’s John, ROY, AL, VICTOR, IAn, James Smith, James WOOD, SID, Eric, another ROY, AL – ‘ALBERT’ we actually called him to distinguish him from the other Al. Then Pete, LEWIS, HAMish WEST, HAMish Jones…”
“Okay, that’s enough!” interrupted Beck. “You can get back to the dusting now.”
“But…”
“Stay in foCUS, TOM! HOUSEwork isn’t your thing, I know, but if this place gets too dirty, we may get a rat infestation!”
“Isn’t that what we want? Free food?”
They both looked at Jane. There was silence…
Last edited by RobbieM on 08 Sep 2015, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Jane squirmed. Not the dreaded roaST RAT. FORD. INTERNATIONALly renowned businesswomen had avoided her there because she associated with this madwoman who ate rats and obsessed about road junctions. She thought she'd better ask.

"What were you thinking of eating tonight, Beck?"
"Oh, I always eat ELVERS ON ROADtrip days. You know, baby eels. I've got a licence to trap them. It's not common urBAN Knowledge, but you can catch most of your own food round here."
"And what are you having for PUDDING?"
"MILL LANE is where we ought to start, Jane," said Beck, studying the map. "Come on or we'll be late. We can discuss food later."

They drove off in Beck's car together. There was a long, awkward silence.

"I could do with a holiday soon," said Beck eventually. "I've had enough of the LONDON CITY AIR. PORTugal would be nice. Have you been away?"
"I was in west Africa recently, investigating endangered species," said Jane. "The population of SeneGAL LIONS REACHes less than a thousand now."
"I've been to Africa. Grand CANARY. WHARFie Dag took me - that's my son who works on the docks."
"I think it's called Gran Canaria," said Jane quietly.
"Well, that's Spanish for Grand Canary, isn't it? Who did you go to Africa with?"
"Helen PHIPPS - BRIDGE partner of mine."
"Oh, you spot bridges together do you? That's nice."

Jane cringed. How could anyone be this ignorant?

"No, we play bridge together. It's a card game."
"Oh, like PONTOON? DOCKyard workers play that a lot - Dag taught me."
"No, not really."

They fell into silence again. Jane hoped that Waltham Abbey wasn't too far away.