A Story from DLR/Tramlink - discussion

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
RobbieM
All Zones

Re: A Story from DLR/Tramlink - discussion

Post by RobbieM »

GuyBarry wrote:Pibroch is a type of bagpipe music as far as I'm aware, rather than the person who plays it. I don't think Bess's friend can be a pibroch, though he can still be known as "Pibroch Dale"...
Well I never! You learn something new every day. For several years I've always thought the bagpiper could be called a pibroch. Never mind, I'll make some quick edits...
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

Hopefully my latest post will help steer us towards a plot conclusion...

...but I'm a bit confused as to whether Jane was definitely on the horse or not... :? I'm now having second thoughts... :roll:

...especially since I've just realised you mentioned Jane rather than Beck stuck near Essex...

...ah, now I see the horse 'broke free' - I'd assumed Jane was on it, and couldn't control it with the reins...

Maybe some editing will be needed, but can't do any until at least Sunday afternoon now!

Either we could re-write it with Jane on the horse (like I assumed), or insert another way for Jane to get to Richard's house quickly... Thoughts?
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

RobbieM wrote:Hopefully my latest post will help steer us towards a plot conclusion...

...but I'm a bit confused as to whether Jane was definitely on the horse or not... :? I'm now having second thoughts... :roll:
I think I prefer your idea! I'll go back and edit my bits so that it all makes sense. I did say "Jane was putting the heat on", so I was probably a bit confused myself :)
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

I reckon Jane stayed on the horse. Getting Jane out of Essex was, after all, why I brought the horse into it...
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

I've edited the crucial section to:
The horse was trying to break FREE. HOLDing back the reins had little effect, but Jane was putting the HEAT ON. PARK Street seemed a world away, and she was making a NEW BOLD attempt to get home. Somehow she managed to stay on its back.
There are one or two other bits that may need changing, but I'll sort them out in the final edit.
RobbieM wrote:I met her recently, and she dragged me out on a junction-spotting exhibition to Waltham Abbey earlier.
I think I've spotted a typo!

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

GuyBarry wrote:I've edited the crucial section...
Thanks! I think it makes better sense, though a bit of extra editing will be needed as you say. But not too much. Something which reflects that Jane couldn't stop the horse from going crazy, but still managed to steer it several miles to Richard's house... :?
GuyBarry wrote:
RobbieM wrote:I met her recently, and she dragged me out on a junction-spotting exhibition to Waltham Abbey earlier.
I think I've spotted a typo!
Oops! Sorry! Now corrected. More of a 'braino', I think :?
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

I'm hoping we can tie a lot of threads together now! Let's steer it to a happy ending. Not forgetting that George and Henry need to be dealt with too.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Looking at the list of remaining stations, I'm wondering how we'll ever steer it to any sort of ending at all! This is going to take quite a bit of working out...

RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

We'll get there. I suspect Crystal and Jane will counsel Bess and Beck, George will turn up on horseback, perhaps Henry will make an appearance, and Don will re-appear and ride the horse off into the sunset...

Maybe even using the stations we've got left... :)
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Well I've got some stations in, but the plot has gone completely to pieces! I think this one is going to need quite a lot of editing. We may have to go on to the Tyne and Wear Metro...

RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

Be good to finish it if we can; it seems to be rounding off nicely! I'd like a break before doing T&W Metro if possible.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

For the first time, I admit defeat! I've got all the stations in now but the story makes no sense. If you can somehow weave a coherent story round them, please go ahead. I might have a go myself tomorrow but I'm too tired now.

RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

Sleep well! :)
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

I think maybe the best thing to do is leave the Metrolink story for a bit. I'll get the DLR/Tramlink bit into shape (it shouldn't take much editing) and put it up on the wiki. Then perhaps we can have a look at the Metrolink section again and try to reorder the stations so that they fit the plot you suggested.

Once again, we've fallen foul of the problem of leaving the hardest stations till last. I wonder if there's a way round this?

A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

GuyBarry wrote:I think maybe the best thing to do is leave the Metrolink story for a bit. I'll get the DLR/Tramlink bit into shape (it shouldn't take much editing) and put it up on the wiki. Then perhaps we can have a look at the Metrolink section again and try to reorder the stations so that they fit the plot you suggested.

Once again, we've fallen foul of the problem of leaving the hardest stations till last. I wonder if there's a way round this?
The answer is to start again, even though this may not be too popular.
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000