"Story from the Overground" - still to do

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

"Story from the Overground" - still to do

Post by GuyBarry »

By my calculations we have the following stations left to cover in the "Story from the Overground". (Clapton and Homerton have inadvertently been used twice - sorry, my fault.) I'll maintain a copy of the list here and edit it as we go along, as I did for the "Story from the Tube".

I'm quite happy to stick to the Tony-and-Dudley bits (which I find great fun to write) and let others cover the main plot.

[All done!]
Last edited by GuyBarry on 07 Jul 2015, 07:17, edited 6 times in total.
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Re: "Story from the Overground" - still to do

Post by GuyBarry »

I've now written the final Tony-and-Dudley episode, involving Brondesbury Park, Stoke Newington, Norwood Junction, Stamford Hill and Dalston Junction. If I've made no errors then that leaves us with eleven stations to bring the main plot to its conclusion. Edmonton Green has clearly already been earmarked (possibly Kensal Rise as well?). Some of the others are going to be rather challenging. Wonder if Charles Denton the mugger will make an unexpected reappearance?

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

As we can see, he's not just a mugger, he's a mastermind!

If you post the final Tony and Dudley instalment, I'll bring this to a finish.

Edmonton Green and Kensal Rise have been earmarked from way back, there's going to be a wedding, and the guest list is, naturally, going to be rather comprehensive - I'm effectively bringing back whoever I can find.

I'm still not quite sure how I'm going to get Kilburn High Road in, but I've got an entire wedding to work it in with. The most important question right now, though, is this one:

Are we going to do the DLR or the Tramlink?
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

The Orange One wrote:The most important question right now, though, is this one:

Are we going to do the DLR or the Tramlink?
Whichever one we do, I want a rest first!

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Thanks to The Orange One for bringing the story to a satisfying conclusion! Also thanks to greatkingrat and RobbieM for their contributions.

I'll do some editing over the next few days to get the story into the "puzzle" format that we had for the Story from the Tube. I don't think it's going to need a great deal of editing this time - there are a couple of duplicated stations to get rid of, and maybe the alternation between the plot and sub-plot needs restructuring in one or two places, but that's about it. (I also really need to decide whether it's Tony or Dudley driving the van!)

Taking my cue from "Ilburn High", I think I'll make the cheap vacuum cleaner "an Orwood" and have a delivery for a "Mrs Tamford", to make the references ever so slightly more cryptic. (Still can't think of anything better than the "Duke of Watford" for the pub though - any ideas?)

Also we need a title. Sadly "Hidden Overground" doesn't really work :wink:

Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Okay, I haven't been following this, but can you not do something like "he had a twat for dinner" or "he saw a cow at Fordham"?

Hmm okay - you need junction too I guess? Have a river "Twat" with two fords that meet?
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Iain wrote:Okay, I haven't been following this, but can you not do something like "he had a twat for dinner" or "he saw a cow at Fordham"?
Doesn't work I'm afraid - I need to get both "Watford High Street" and "Watford Junction" in there. The original "Story from the Tube" had "... he had nothing with which he could swat. For dozens of days he remained...", but that's no good when the D is followed by a consonant.
Hmm okay - you need junction too I guess? Have a river "Twat" with two fords that meet?
Possibly, but I'd need to change the plot substantially. It has to be the name of a pub, and "The Cow At Ford" doesn't really sound like one - at least not in the middle of South Kensington!

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

GuyBarry wrote:The original "Story from the Tube"
It occurs to me that there must be quite a few people here who've never seen the original. Here it is in the final version (after substantial reworking and editing by RobbieM, hopeful traveller and me). See if you can find all 270 stations.

Hidden Underground

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

GuyBarry wrote: I think I'll make the cheap vacuum cleaner "an Orwood"
Amazingly enough, there's a manufacturer called Orwood! They don't make vacuum cleaners, though - they make adjustable beds:

http://www.orwood.co.uk/

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

OK, here's the edited version. I hope it meets with everyone's approval:

http://guys-diary.blogspot.co.uk/2015/0 ... round.html

I haven't really made any major changes apart from restructuring the alternation between the plot and sub-plot slightly. (I hope RobbieM will forgive me for incorporating his "Richmond" line into the dialogue between Tony and Dudley - "they looked at each other in horror" was intended as the climax of the scene.) If there are no objections then I'll do a "puzzle" version as well with all the capitalizations removed.

We still need a title though!

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Puzzle version now created. In the absence of any other suggestions, I've provisionally entitled it "Over the Top":

Over the Top

Please check through it and let me know if there's anything you want to change.