Rare Entries XII - The Underground and Railways in London

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
TC95
Zone 4

Rare Entries XII - The Underground and Railways in London

Post by TC95 »

Normal rules apply. All questions/answers relate to the past and present London Underground, Main Line Railways in London and their stations only unless stated. Anyone who wishes to enter please send me your answers by PM only and before the deadline which is Saturday 3rd May 2014 at 19:00. Here goes my first effort:

1 ) Name a station which appears on the TfL Tube Map that is named after a Street that does not actually exist.
2 ) Name a station in Central London which had its own dedicated Funeral Station
3 ) Name an LU station which includes the name of a 2013 Football League team within its name
4 ) Name one of the stations on London's NR network which opened after 01.01.1998 (not including stations served by LO)
5 ) Name a postal county in use today which is currently served by London Underground trains
6 ) Name an LU station with no station building above ground
7 ) Name an Underground station on the only deep-level tube that was once served by trains offering first class seating
8 ) Name an LU station which, in 2013, received a public service by another LU line which is not advertised as stopping there according to the Tube Map
9 ) Name a station from the Metropolitan Railway empire which is not served by LU trains today, and could only be found within Zones 1-9
10 ) Which of the current main line (NR) termini in Central London (i.e. Zone 1) were open for passenger services before 1854. Note: to answer this question you must also include the year in which the termini opened, answers which fail this will be deemed incorrect.

Good luck :D
Last edited by TC95 on 24 Apr 2014, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.
London Overground: 1 10:28:25 with Lewis Nagle and Aubery Morandarte
Mouse: 4 1:27:58
Alphabet: 1 5:14:20
R15: 2 1:55:48 with Rhys Jackson and Rhys Benjamin
ALC: 3 0:54:30
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Rare Entries XII - The Underground and Railways in Londo

Post by tubeguru »

Does question two have more than one possible answer?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
TC95
Zone 4

Post by TC95 »

tubeguru wrote:Does question two have more than one possible answer?
Yes
TC95
Zone 4

Post by TC95 »

Just under a week to go, I've had two entries so far. Anyone else wishing to enter please do so before this Saturday (3/5) @ 7pm
Probably need at least another 3-4 entries otherwise the scoring won't work
TC95
Zone 4

Post by TC95 »

Is anyone else going to enter?? Just two days to go if so...
TC95
Zone 4

Post by TC95 »

Right I've had three replies now. I'm going to keep this open until Monday 5th.May to get at least TWO more replies to make this viable
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

TC95 wrote:Right I've had three replies now. I'm going to keep this open until Monday 5th.May to get at least TWO more replies to make this viable
If you still need an entry I will get on it after work
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
TC95
Zone 4

Post by TC95 »

tractakid wrote:
TC95 wrote:Right I've had three replies now. I'm going to keep this open until Monday 5th.May to get at least TWO more replies to make this viable
If you still need an entry I will get on it after work
Please yes, deadline extended until 9am tomorrow morning for any last last minute entries. I'll put the answers and scores up at noon tomorrow
TC95
Zone 4

Post by TC95 »

Ok, extended deadline has passed and no new entries (except Tractakid’s late night one). Some answers had a fairly wide variety of possibilities, most didn't but because I only got four responses, there wasn't much chance of an overlap, which contributes to the pretty low scores.

The scores are as follows:

1st Nozza 8
2nd OrangeOne 32
2nd Tractakid 32
4th JamestheGill 1024

And now for the answers:

1 ) Name a station which appears on the TfL Tube Map that is named after a Street that does not actually exist.
BOND STREET – Nozza
Stratford High Street - Tractakid
Incorrect - JamestheGill (There is a Latimer Road, north of the A40), OrangeOne (For the same reason why HSK would be disallowed)
The other possible answer was Walthamstow Queens Road

2 ) Name a station in Central London which had its own dedicated Funeral Station
KINGS CROSS – Nozza
Waterloo - OrangeOne
Incorrect – JamestheGill, Tractakid

3 ) Name an LU station which includes the name of a 2013 Football League team within its name
HoUsLow central [CITY] - JamestheGill
Queens Park [Rangers] - Nozza
Watford – OrangeOne
Incorrect – Tractakid (West Ham were not in the Football League during 2013, they were in the EPL, Premier League)

4 ) Name one of the stations on London's NR network which opened after 01.01.1998 (not including stations served by LO)
Micham Eastfields – OrangeOne, Tractakid
Stratford International - Nozza
Incorrect - JamestheGill (HT5 is a BAA station, not on the NR network)
The third possible station was called Heathrow Junction, opened 19.01.1998, closed 25.05.1998

5 ) Name a postal county in use today which is currently served by London Underground trains
Hertfordshire - JamestheGill, Nozza
Middlesex – OrangeOne
Isle of Wight - Tractakid

6 ) Name an LU station with no station building above ground
Bethnal Green – Nozza
Euston - Tractakid
Hyde Park Corner - JamestheGill
Regent's Park - OrangeOne

7 ) Name an Underground station on the only deep-level tube that was once served by trains offering first class seating
- Any station on the old Northern City line, when under the control of the Northern Line, in 1934, would have sufficed. No other deep-level tube line has ever offered first class seating. The anomaly occured due to a time lag in dispensing the old Metropolitan stock from the 'Big Tube' line before the Northern's own train took over
Incorrect - JamestheGill, Nozza, OrangeOne, Tractakid

8 ) Name an LU station which, in 2013, received a public service by another LU line which is not advertised as stopping there according to the Tube Map
Ealing Broadway - Nozza
Stamford Brook – OrangeOne
Ravenscourt Park - Tractakid
Incorrect - JamestheGill

9 ) Name a station from the Metropolitan Railway empire which is not served by LU trains today, and could only be found within Zones 1-9
Essex Road – OrangeOne
Marlborough Road - Tractakid
Rotherhithe - Nozza
Incorrect - JamestheGill
NB Croxley Green, now just Croxley (MET - 1925) is still served by Met trains. Croxley Green (LNWR - 1912) is yet to be served by Met trains

10 ) Which of the current main line (NR) termini in Central London (i.e. Zone 1) were open for passenger services before 1854. Note: to answer this question you must also include the year in which the termini opened, answers which fail this will be deemed incorrect.
Fenchurch Street (1841) – Nozza
London Bridge (1836) - Tractakid
Paddington (1838) - JamestheGill, OrangeOne

Thanks to those who took part, I wish that more had entered to make it more interesting but hey ho!
Last edited by TC95 on 20 Jul 2014, 14:17, edited 2 times in total.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Oh dear. I have so many issues with this that I can't even bring myself to moan about them.

Member of sweet FA
TC95
Zone 4

Post by TC95 »

tubeguru wrote:Oh dear. I have so many issues with this that I can't even bring myself to moan about them.
Go on ... say them. If I've made a mistake (or mistakes) then I must be made aware of them
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

TC95 wrote:2 ) Name a station in Central London which had its own dedicated Funeral Station
London Necropolis - Tractakid

I was tempted to disallow London Necropolis as that was the funeral station
Well you should have done then, as it was an incorrect answer (it didn't have its own dedicated funeral station, because it WAS one).
TC95 wrote: 3 ) Name an LU station which includes the name of a 2013 Football League team within its name
As the correct names of these football clubs is "Hull City" and "Queen's Park Rangers" both answers are incorrect, as the words "City" and Rangers" are not in the station names in question. Had you asked "which contains PART of the name of a football team", you would have been fine. The question probably doesn't have many correct answers, if any.
TC95 wrote: 6 ) Name an LU station with no station building above ground
Euston - Tractakid
If I were being picky, I would argue that this is wrong, as Euston does indeed have a tube station station building above ground - it is simply disused. The stairs and corridor connections are still in situ.

I was going to go on about Middlesex and whether it legally still exists, but it appears that Royal Mail still use it as a postal county for reasons which I just don't understand. Middlesex disappeared as a county decades ago.

Member of sweet FA
TC95
Zone 4

Post by TC95 »

tubeguru wrote: I was going to go on about Middlesex and whether it legally still exists, but it appears that Royal Mail still use it as a postal county for reasons which I just don't understand. Middlesex disappeared as a county decades ago.
That's why I said postal county
TC95
Zone 4

Post by TC95 »

tubeguru wrote:
TC95 wrote: 3 ) Name an LU station which includes the name of a 2013 Football League team within its name
As the correct names of these football clubs is "Hull City" and "Queen's Park Rangers" both answers are incorrect, as the words "City" and Rangers" are not in the station names in question. Had you asked "which contains PART of the name of a football team", you would have been fine. The question probably doesn't have many correct answers, if any.
I didn't specify FULL club name either [for the pedantic people amongst us]. Question and answers still stand as they are 100% valid
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

TC95 wrote:
tubeguru wrote:
I didn't specify FULL club name either [for the pedantic people amongst us]. Question and answers still stand as they are 100% valid
"Hull" is certainly arguable as that team is often referred to without the "City", but in what sense does "Queen's Park" include "Queens Park Rangers"? Perhaps Nozza was referring to the Scottish league team.

Extending the logic, does Queensway include Queens [Park Rangers]?

Separately, would you have allowed MANsion hoUse? Manchester United are quite often referred to as just "Man U".
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds