Rare Entries Quiz VIII: London

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
The Raven
All Zones

Re: Rare Entries Quiz VIII: London

Post by The Raven »

tractakid wrote:Ah oops. must get on with this... I got half way through the other day then went to bed.
I'll wait for your entry if you what then I'll revel the answers and scores.
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

[post deleted]
Last edited by GuyBarry on 18 Oct 2013, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Looking at my submitted answers, I appear to have missed number 4 and missed the "Greater London" part out of number 7! D'oh! :oops:
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

GuyBarry wrote:I'm bored with waiting for this. Here are the answers I submitted:
Your impatience and willingness to compromise the quiz is most unwelcome.
Last edited by tractakid on 18 Oct 2013, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

tractakid wrote: Your impatience and willingness to compromise the quiz is most unwelcome.
The original deadline was supposed to be two weeks ago. If people haven't submitted their answers by now then they never will. I wouldn't have taken part if I'd known it was going to drag on for ever like this. Is it really so hard to put together a list of answers within a week?

I would delete my answers but there's no point now that you've quoted them. If posting my answers is against the rules, then I'm quite happy to withdraw from the quiz.

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

GuyBarry wrote:Is it really so hard to put together a list of answers within a week?
From doing my own Rare Entries quizzes, it's not the list of answers that slows you down, it's calculating the scores that takes a good hour, hour and a half out of your evening. It's not a quick "total the correct answers", it takes a lot more time and effort.
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

GuyBarry wrote:
tractakid wrote: Your impatience and willingness to compromise the quiz is most unwelcome.
The original deadline was supposed to be two weeks ago. If people haven't submitted their answers by now then they never will. I wouldn't have taken part if I'd known it was going to drag on for ever like this. Is it really so hard to put together a list of answers within a week?

I would delete my answers but there's no point now that you've quoted them. If posting my answers is against the rules, then I'm quite happy to withdraw from the quiz.
The Raven said he would wait for my answers. I am a serial procrastinator, which is a problem, I admit. But rather than boldly proclaiming your dissatisfaction, simultaneously spoiling the quiz (I made a special effort to not to take notice of your answers before I submitted mine), perhaps you could have simply posted a courteous nudge? For example "Any news on when the answers will be posted?"

I have removed your answers from my quote, so feel free to follow suit.

Remember, The Raven is the quizmaster. He can run the quiz however he likes.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

My apologies. As you say, it's up to The Raven.

Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

To be fair, the original deadline was 3rd October. What's the point in having a deadline if people don't bother sticking to it? :roll:
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Sam wrote:To be fair, the original deadline was 3rd October. What's the point in having a deadline if people don't bother sticking to it? :roll:
These things never run on time. The quizmaster makes a judgement- what's the point in calling a quiz if there has only been one entry? The more the better with these things.

The deadline is still useful- it signifies a length of time that entries will definitely be valid for. Take longer and you are taking a risk that you might enter too late. I would have no grounds for complaint if Raven had called the quiz without my entry, because I missed the deadline.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

tractakid wrote:
Sam wrote:To be fair, the original deadline was 3rd October. What's the point in having a deadline if people don't bother sticking to it? :roll:
These things never run on time. The quizmaster makes a judgement- what's the point in calling a quiz if there has only been one entry? The more the better with these things.
It does seem a little unfair on those of us who took the trouble to get our entries in on time though. Why should some entrants get more time than others?

Anyway, I assume there are to be no more extensions, so let's wait for the results. (Just to clarify - I don't wish to withdraw but will do so if the Raven judges that I've broken the rules.)

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Don't take it so seriously. It's a game.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

GuyBarry wrote:
It does seem a little unfair on those of us who took the trouble to get our entries in on time though. Why should some entrants get more time than others?

Anyway, I assume there are to be no more extensions, so let's wait for the results. (Just to clarify - I don't wish to withdraw but will do so if the Raven judges that I've broken the rules.)
I don't honestly believe that there is a time pressure built into the mechanism of the game, so fail to see how this could be unfair.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

tractakid wrote: I don't honestly believe that there is a time pressure built into the mechanism of the game, so fail to see how this could be unfair.
You're given a certain amount of time to come up with the answers. If you can't come up with the answers within the allotted time, then you haven't fulfilled the stated requirements. I might have come up with a better list of answers if I'd been given three weeks rather than one.

EDIT: I've just looked at the last quiz. It was three months before the results were posted in that one. I'm surprised anyone could remember the questions by then.
Last edited by GuyBarry on 19 Oct 2013, 08:43, edited 1 time in total.

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

There are no such things as "better" answers with these quizzes. All you are doing is picking a choice that you hope no one else has. And as they're all going to be bluffing and double-bluffing when choosing, there isn't much scope for skill in this.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA