Trainblock

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Trainblock

Post by GuyBarry »

OK, here are my suggested rules for "Trainblock", the extension to Tubeblock suggested by The Orange One. Any questions?

[Latest version: 30 Aug 2013]

(1) Trainblock is a game for two players (or teams of players), based on the London Rail and Tube services map. The object of the game is to prevent the other player (or team) from making a legal move.
(2) For the purposes of these rules the definition of "station" is as follows:
(a) A "stop", indicated by one or more check marks on the map (even if it is on more than one line), or
(b) An "interchange", indicated by a white circle or combination of white circles on the map.
For clarity, the stations Turnham Green, Barons Court and Gloucester Road are to be regarded as single "stops".
(3) Lines marked "limited service only" are to be ignored for the purposes of the game (First Capital Connect: Tulse Hill to Norwood Junction, Southern: Streatham via Wimbledon to Sutton, Southeastern: Herne Hill to Elephant & Castle, and District: Earl's Court to Kensington (Olympia)).
(4) A "connection" is defined as any route between two stations that can be continuously traced using a line in one colour (or colours), without turning through acute angles. This takes no account of whether services actually run along these routes. For clarity, there is a continuous Overground line from Shepherd's Bush through Willesden Junction to Kensal Rise. The Southeastern line running northwards from Blackfriars is presumed to terminate at City Thameslink.
(5) A "journey" is defined as any route from one station to another exclusively using "connections" as defined in rule 4 and changing at "interchanges" as defined in rule 2(b). Reversing is permitted at interchanges but not at stops.

TWO-PLAYER VERSION

Play proceeds as follows:

(6) Player A chooses any "stop" as defined in rule 2(a).
(7) Player B chooses any "stop" as defined in rule 2(a) that does not have a connection to the stop chosen by player A.
(8) Players A and B now move to stations alternately, according to the following criteria:
(a) Neither player may have moved to the station previously in the game.
(b) There must NOT be a connection between the station moved to and the player's previous station.
(c) There must be a journey from the player's previous station to the new station that does not pass through any stations that are "blocked" by the other player, as defined by rule 9.
(9) All stations that have connections to a player's current station are "blocked" to the other player. E.g. a player at Tottenham Hale blocks all Victoria line stations, all stations to Liverpool Street via Clapton, and all stations from Northumberland Park to Broxbourne, but does NOT block Stoke Newington or St James Street.
(10) When one player does not have a legal move the game is over and the other player wins.

MULTI-PLAYER VERSION

This is like the two-player version except that "player A" and "player B" should be replaced by "team A" and "team B". Anyone is free to make a move for either team A or team B, but having made a move cannot then move for the other team in the same game. If two players respond to the same move, only the first move posted is accepted.

If four players or more are involved, they may choose to operate the additional rule "No player can make two consecutive moves for the same team". This should be agreed in advance of play.

TRAINBLOCK LIGHT

This is the same as regular Trainblock but a maximum of two changes of line are allowed per move, i.e. rule 5 is replaced by:
(5') A "journey" is defined as any route from one station to another exclusively using no more than three "connections" as defined in rule 4 and changing at no more than two "interchanges" as defined in rule 2(b). Reversing is permitted at interchanges but not at stops.
Last edited by GuyBarry on 30 Aug 2013, 11:11, edited 3 times in total.
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
The Orange One
All Zones

Re: Trainblock

Post by The Orange One »

Shall we try a game?

A: St. Johns (can be found next to Lewisham)
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

B: Wapping
Last edited by GuyBarry on 20 Aug 2013, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

GuyBarry wrote:(3) A "connection" is defined as any route between two stations that can be continuously traced using a line in one colour (or colours), without turning through acute angles.
What does this even mean? Are you saying that any connection that utilises an angle of less than 90 degrees is illegal?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

tubeguru wrote:
GuyBarry wrote:(3) A "connection" is defined as any route between two stations that can be continuously traced using a line in one colour (or colours), without turning through acute angles.
What does this even mean? Are you saying that any connection that utilises an angle of less than 90 degrees is illegal?
Yup - it's to cover the case of lines that branch in two. I didn't want someone claiming that there was a direct connection from New Cross to New Cross Gate, for instance.

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

So essentially, you're saying that one cannot go up one branch, and reverse back down another?

Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

tubeguru wrote:So essentially, you're saying that one cannot go up one branch, and reverse back down another?
No - I'm saying you can move from New Cross to New Cross Gate, because no through connection is indicated on the map.

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I must be tired. it's not going in my head.

Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Remember that the rules forbid you from moving between stations where there's a direct connection. So if you want to move between two branches of the same line, it's permitted provided no curve between them is indicated on the map. (I know that sometimes such things exist in reality, but we're using the map as a game board.)

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

So, I could, for example, move from Ravensbourne to Beckenham Junction via Shortlands?

Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Yes, that would be a valid move.

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Right, got it now. This game could go on for a while. :lol:

Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Well, you were the one complaining that Tubeblock was too short!

Actually I suspect Trainblock might work as a genuine multiplayer game - you could have several opponents blocking you from different positions (which wouldn't work in Tubeblock). For now let's keep it as two teams and you can pitch in for whichever side you like (but you can't swap sides). Good luck...

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I'm strictly a one-player person. Might I suggest that once a game starts, and is billed as single-player, that it remains single-player? People jumping in would annoy me.

Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

If you like in future games, but this is an experimental one so I think everyone should be allowed to have a go.

You can always start a new game of Tubeblock on the old thread...