Tubeblock

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Re: Tubeblock

Post by GuyBarry »

tubeguru wrote: You need a tube map in front of you to mark the stations off on.
Well that's certainly how I play it. I thought all the aficionados on this site would be automatically tuned in though.
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

I don't need a map - I have Sporcle to thank for that.

http://www.sporcle.com/games/Cryptus/everylustationmap

I use it to check FNC routes when I find myself without a map - the one below is for Zone 1.

http://www.sporcle.com/games/g/londontubecentral
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Why is no interchange shown at Blackfriars on the TFL map?

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

The map is outdated. This is the current one: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/ ... es-map.pdf
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Here's a little secret I thought I'd share: when I first thought of this game, the winner was the first player to reach Mornington Crescent. The idea was that I would go up to people who thought they knew about Mornington Crescent and say "you're getting it all wrong - these are the real rules", as they'd be in no position to contradict me!

Sadly it proved impossible for either player to get to Mornington Crescent in most cases, so the object of the game was changed. I reckon you could still fool some people though :wink:

The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Ealing Common? Interchange or not? District and Piccadilly run on the same tracks here.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

List of stations player A can start at without committing suicide in one move, by line. Assuming Ealing Common is an interchange.

Following the latest version of the rules - where two starting stations cannot be on the same line, and it is permitted to start on the Circle line.

Bakerloo: Regents Park
Central: West Acton, Hanger Lane - West Ruislip, Queensway - Marble Arch, Chancery Lane, St Paul's, Buckhurst Hill - Epping, Wanstead - Roding Valley.
Circle: Bayswater, HSK, Sloane Square, St. James' Park, Temple - Tower Hill, Great Portland St, Euston Square.
District: Bayswater, HSK, Sloane Square, St. James' Park, Temple - Stepney Green, Bow Road, Bromley-by-bow.
H&C: Great Portland St, Euston Square, Aldgate East - Stepney Green, Bow Road, Bromley-by-bow.
Jubilee: Bermondsey - Canning Town.
Metropolitan: Preston Road - different ends of branches, Great Portland Street, Euston Square.
Northern: Chalk Farm - Edgware, Kentish Town - High Barnet/MHE, Borough, Goodge Street, Kennington, Oval.
Piccadilly: Uxbridge - North Ealing, Knightsbridge, Hyde Park Korner, Covent Garden, Russell Square.
Victoria: Pimlico, Vauxhall.
Waterloo and City is banned.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

The Orange One wrote:Ealing Common? Interchange or not? District and Piccadilly run on the same tracks here.
Under Tubeblock rules? Good question. I'd be tempted to say no for the reason you give.

Thanks for working that out. It confirmed my suspicion that the list of sensible starting stations in Tubeblock is a bit limited - I think Trainblock is probably a better game. Thanks for suggesting it.

tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Ealing Common is an interchange. Ealing Broadway to Rayners Lane is completed by changing lines there.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

As currently drafted, the rules for Tubeblock (as opposed to Trainblock) say:
An "interchange" is defined as a station served by two or more lines running along different tracks. Stations where all services run along the same tracks (e.g. Bayswater) are not considered interchanges.
So under that definition Ealing Common isn't an interchange, even if you can use it for changing lines.

It might be simpler to bring the Tubeblock definitions into line with the Trainblock definitions, although I'm not sure if anyone still wants to play Tubeblock anyway.

tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

I quite like it, I just don't like in forum format. Rather sit down with someone and play. Or play via instant messaging.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Yes, that's how I imagined that some people would prefer to play it. I'd quite like the opportunity to sit and watch someone else's game though.