Formula One 2013 Side Competition

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
The Raven
All Zones

Re: Formula One 2013 Side Competition

Post by The Raven »

I'm with Tubeguru on this one. "Seriously?"

Yes it was terrible accident, it's good thing the cameraman wasn't more badly hurt, but I can't see anything wrong with the BBC commentators reaction.
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Maybe Hopfull Traveller love for Sky is because he's in league with Rupert Murdock?

Heck, most politicians are....
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

Quick query: for "before the flag" drops for question three, if (let's say) Rosberg wins it, then Bottas crashes before he (i.e. Bottas) crosses the line, is it Bottas as the result or whoever else retired?
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I think for the purposes of that question it will be the last person who is officially classified as retiring. After all, if a driver crashes on the final lap, although he has "retired" from the race, he will still be "classified".
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

typical Hamilton my gamble is now irrevelant now but it was looking good
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Just going back to the role of Brundle, he says that Sky wanted him to go back to co-commentator. He enjoys it more, but that year as lead was helpful, as he knew what he needed and didn't need from a co-commentator, enabling him to be better (in his view).
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Rant number whatever-we're-on-now on the POV messageboard:

Can we at least have some consistency in Grand Prix practice times? Glad to see that the Belgian GP has got things sorted out from the Canadian debacle, but the times of build-up vary. Can we keep it Sky F1-esque, please? 15 mins before and 15 mins afterwards for practice? Also, I'm slightly concerned that Suzi Perry will bump into the FOM ident etc. for one of the sessions as it starts at 55 mins past the hour - i.e. the FOM ident. Can't we scrap Suzi for one practice session? Less of Suzi Perry and Ben 'my-lovechild-is-di-Resta/Hamilton/Chilton' Edwards is better quality.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

What really annoys me is the way the BBC can't get the weather to be the same at every race.

Member of sweet FA
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

They should just record one Grand Prix and repeat it for the rest of the season.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
hopeful traveller
All Zones

greatkingrat wrote:They should just record one Grand Prix and repeat it for the rest of the season.
They do. They wheel out the words "Spa" and "98" every flipping race.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

hopeful traveller wrote:
greatkingrat wrote:They should just record one Grand Prix and repeat it for the rest of the season.
I don't recall hearing "Spa 1998" during the broadcast of the 2004 Canadian Grand Prix, if I'm honest.

Member of sweet FA
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

hopeful traveller wrote:Just going back to the role of Brundle, he says that Sky wanted him to go back to co-commentator. He enjoys it more, but that year as lead was helpful, as he knew what he needed and didn't need from a co-commentator, enabling him to be better (in his view).
Its interesting because listening to his commentary this season, if he is talking and something big happens, he just keeps going and discribes the action. There is no akward silence while he waits for the main commentator to take over.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

moley wrote:
hopeful traveller wrote:Just going back to the role of Brundle, he says that Sky wanted him to go back to co-commentator. He enjoys it more, but that year as lead was helpful, as he knew what he needed and didn't need from a co-commentator, enabling him to be better (in his view).
Its interesting because listening to his commentary this season, if he is talking and something big happens, he just keeps going and discribes the action. There is no akward silence while he waits for the main commentator to take over.
I don't think their relationship is a clear-cut "I describe the action, and you give expert analysis". They do both interchangeably, and I like it.

Member of sweet FA
hopeful traveller
All Zones

tubeguru wrote:
hopeful traveller wrote:
I don't recall hearing "Spa 1998" during the broadcast of the 2004 Canadian Grand Prix, if I'm honest.
That's because it wasn't broadcast on BBC. :P
tubeguru wrote:
moley wrote:
I don't think their relationship is a clear-cut "I describe the action, and you give expert analysis". They do both interchangeably, and I like it.
I think he took some time to get re-adjusted. But now it works. Have a look at the Classic F1 archive on the BBC when Brundle's in it (before the Beeb finish taking Brundle's classic races down!) and if something happens, then he'll keep going. Despite the best efforts of James Allen.
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Ted Kravitz gets his own back: http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... book-korea. Round about 10 mins in or so - but recommend the entire thing, it's very entertaining and technically interesting at the same time - seems as if the BBC can do one or the other.

SPOILER SPACE
SPOILER SPACE
SPOILER SPACE
SPOILER SPACE
SPOILER SPACE
SPOILER SPACE
SPOILER SPACE

PoV rambling (and Twitter rambling):

Email to pov@bbc.co.uk:
Dear Points of View,

Ben Edwards, who commentates on Formula One, has been an absolutely useless commentator. I compared his commentary of the Korean Grand Prix with David Croft's from Sky Sports. Ben Edwards's overly-shouty uninformed commentary needs to go. It's almost as bad as, if not worse than, Jonathan Legard. "OH NO!!!! SUTIL HITS WEBBER!! SUTIL HAS HIT, ER... WEBBER!!!" is truly awful. I suggest that he swap with radio commentator James Allen.

Regards,

Rhys Benjamin.
PoV messageboard is being 'moderated' - but I don't remember contravening the 'house rules' in any way. So when (not if) it comes back online I will repost it here.

Twitter:
"@-------- @suziperry @BBCOne EJ doesn't do highlights - wouldn't recommend the show later, Ben Edwards's commentary is gut-wrenching."
@SuziPerry: "@TheotherRB @--------- @BBCOne don't listen to him it's a great watch!"
"@suziperry @---------- @BBCOne Well, Suzi, the race was great, but if only there's some option to have edited radio commentary I will watch!"
"@suziperry Suzi, I compared the highlights package on http://bbc.co.uk/f1 and #skyf1 earlier. I've written to @bbcPov about Edwards."